Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Friend of mine is giving me a Peavy guitar amp, and he says the speaker needs replacement. He doesn't want to fool with it, so I'm getting a free amp. I don't about wattage or sizes yet.

So where is a good place to shop for speakers?
Also, my guitar is an acoustic electric. Will it sound like crap?
Should I start looking for a sound hole pickup?
Next week, will Batman catch the Penguin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

scuz posted:

https://www.peavey.com will have direct-replacement speakers, otherwise https://www.usspeaker.com and https://www.avatarspeakers.com
Awesome, thanks a million!

scuz posted:

Nope, just get a rubber hole blocker thing; I forget their technical term. It's a rubber hole plug that keeps your guitar from being a feedback machine.
Ah, I know exactly what you're talking about. A sound hole cover, something like this.

scuz posted:

nope :parrot:
Darn :saddowns:

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 21, 2009

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

In Booneville Stomp by Les Claypool, the drums are strong, deep, and concussive. What kind of drums are these?

I don't know anything about drums, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Never mind, they're roto toms.

JukeboxHerostratus fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 24, 2009

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

scuz posted:

:parrot: crate is awful nobody should own one :parrot:

Well, I like my crate. :colbert:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I'm about to get a new bass, and my old one (Dean :rolleyes:) isn't worthy of being a backup. So I want to do some Frankenstein work on it. So here's a few questions.

Where can I find a good guide to a bass's wiring? I'm sure it's different from one manufacturer to another, but what about the basics?

What's the worst that can happen if I decide to put an electric guitar's pickup in my bass? (I told you, Frankenstein!) What's the best? I'd rather not wast the money if it won't make a sound, let alone a terrible one.

Anybody else have some cool one-shot mods that I can do on the cheap?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

What's the best book for a beginner sax player? My brother's birthday is coming up and he's always liked sax.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Ferrous Wheel posted:

The only vitally important difference in the construction of guitar and bass pickups is the pole pieces. With that in mind, rail pickups of all kinds will get the job done while at least preserving string balance. How good they sound is far less certain, but you may be pleasantly surprised.

Well, as far as pickups go, I've been eyeing this for a while now. Dimarzio Distortion Pickups in the neighborhood of 65 bucks. I'm just not sure if it'll actually fit in there, I can't see it to compare sizes, and I don't have any woodworking tools.

quote:

I think one of the least idiotic things you could play with is active electronics, especially built in effects. Grab some perf board and head over to DIYstompboxes.org and see what catches your eye. Off the top of my head I'd say a fuzz, ring mod, octave, or flanger would probably be pretty fun.

Now this sounds like pure brilliance, but again, there's not a lot of room in there. I'm thinking an octo would be cool, as I've just recently picked up a flange pedal. I'll have to look through the diy site later, it's 8:30 AM and I need to sleep soon.

quote:

Re-tuning and restringing are both fun and relatively non-invasive. I strung my main bass BEAD and haven't looked back. Mark Sandman's two string slide setups were also very cool if you're into that sort of thing. You could also string high-- ADGC like the top of a six string set.

Finally, given that it's a crappy old Dean, I think that you should make sure everything you do is as invasive and poorly thought out as possible. And post pics. :hist101:

Step ahead of you there. I'm thinking of running BEAD, so it's harmonious with a standard tuned guitar.

I'll be sure to take pictures as I work along. Perhaps start a thread on it, who knows? This might go well with the mini keg reverb project I've been wanting to do...

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Ferrous Wheel posted:

That particular pickup is probably not a good choice since is has six pole pieces and they're smaller than usual. This one would probably work okay and this would likely work the best. The seven string version might be a good idea if you're thinking of putting it closer to the bridge where the spacing is wider. Also note that some closed-top active pickups like certain EMGs and possibly Blackouts have blade poles under the plastic, so they might work as well. But they would require additional electronics.

In terms of figuring out if it will fit, you can just grab any humbucker equipped guitar and make yourself a crude template of the pickup's footprint (with or without removing it). I've seen decent routers go for as little as $20 on my local craigslist so I recommend checking there periodically. That way you can enlarge your control cavity and make new pickup routs as needed. One application where guitar pickups will work well is as "mudbuckers", positioned right by the neck heel. Not a great sound on its own but it's an easy way to dial in retarded amounts of low end when you want it which, let's face it, you always will.

Even better, thanks! Now I can't wait for the money to come in.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

scuz posted:

Yup, that sound hole cover is what you need. Post more information when you get your hands on the amp then we can tell you exactly which speaker to get :3:

The amp is a Peavy Pacer. Right now, I'm not so sure about replacing the speaker, there's something else I want to fix first.

When I twist the volume knob, there's a terrible scratchy, clicky sound. take a listen here:

What could this possibly be?

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

I have an old DOD FX72, and there are a few things that are really ticking me off.

First, the pedal switch sucks. Sometimes the pedal doesn't turn off when I want it do, other times it won't turn on when I want it to. It's a tactile switch that is depressed by a small post on the plastic stomp pedal. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Secondly, the LED doesn't light up. DOD thought that it was a good idea to require 10 volts to light up the LED, and to hell with the 9 volt battery.

So I want to replace the switch with something a little more unbroken, and I want my LED to work as well. In my searching, I found this switch from small bear electronics: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=20 "3PDT--True-bypass, and light an LED with the third pole." (not on the page, but in the search results that lead to the item)

Question 1: Can I use this switch on my pedal?

Question 2: Using the 3rd pole, can I replace the factory LED with something a little brighter and more to my taste?

I'll post pictures of the guts inside the pedal if necessary, but I'm tired and have a toothache right now. Now I doubt this'll work, I'm just not that lucky to get it right on my first shot. So if you have any ideas about installing a stomp switch that will light up an LED, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

If this is right under my nose, I beg mercy. I must ask to know.

I have a Schecter Omen with dual humbuckers, and I want to install P-Rails pickups in the neck. The guitar doesn't have a 5-way selecter, but a push/pull tone pot. I want the most out of that pickup, so I want to get a Triple Shot.

The wiring in my guitar looks like this (heads up, it's a PDF!)http://schecter.musicianscentre.com/home/schecter-wiring-diagrams/schecter_C1_exotic.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

The Triple Shot (if you didn't know already) is a nifty mounting ring that lets you split your humbucker as you choose. You can see it here at Musicians' Friend and you can look at some wiring instructions from SD here at their website (Heads up, another PDF).

You can see from the wiring instructions that the triple shot has only a bare, black, and white wire. The guitar, as it stands now, has bare, white, black, and red.

My question is, am I correct in guessing that I should solder:
1) The Bare and Black wire to the volume pot as they already are.
2) The White wire to the tab on volume pot where the green is right now.
3) Bypass the push/pull pot entirely?

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it immensely.