Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This is probably a really stupid question but is there a service or tool that can check if a chord pattern or melody has been used before? More melody than chord (I'm aware that a lot of songs are the same chords with a different rhythm). Mainly because I sometimes come up with melodies that sound cool (To me at least) and ultimately forget them because I fear they've been done before and I'm subconsciously ripping someone off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Where does everyone get their music gear news? I am completely lost as I can only find places like Ultimate Guitar and Harmony Central which are neat but fairly useless for news.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

muike posted:

What kind of gear do you want to hear about? Like pedals and poo poo, or amps and guitars? I read sevenstring.org a lot but that's generally geared towards stuff metalheads like and buy. I'd figure the Harmony Central front page is probably good for news too. Maybe check out youtube, I guess.

Guitar and bass stuff mainly. Guitars, amps and effects pretty much. Might recheck out HC front page. The forums seemed pretty bleh for help.

@Trig: Not in the US but I'll look into it anyway.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Does anyone know what sort of effects/amp/guitar would be used to create the "psychedelic" guitar tone in Morning Sheets by Patrick Watson? Some reverb and a bit of overdrive? Tremelo maybe?

Thanks.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a stupid recording/mixing question. I've been playing with properly mixing demos for practice with Reaper and AmpliTube (AmpliTube just released the model for the Mesa Rectifier for free by the way. Probably my favourite model short of the Mark III). Taking a cue from Mr. Corgan (And everyone else) I've been layering my tracks and wow does it make a difference with fuzz and distortion. But I'm not talented enough or have good enough timing to match up multiple recorded tracks in time. So I've been duplicating tracks and editing the EQ settings for each to get the right blend.

My question is if that's how people do it now or is it still the norm for people to physically record separate layers? I figure if I get around to buying a good amp and physical equipment I'll have to anyway, unless there's tricks to get around that.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Thanks for the info guys. What I'm currently doing is running my guitar/bass through an interface into Reaper and recording the raw signal. Then I'm using AmpliTube as a VST for the track and getting the sound nice. Then I duplicate the track and tweak the new tracks VST settings for a different sound. I do have one track that runs through a Marshall model for the cut so it gives the sound some definition, too. Running the signal back into an amp is a pretty good idea when I actually get decent equipment. Money basically dictates I use whatever modelling I can get for now unfortunately. But one day!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Subyng posted:

Anyone know of some videos of producing a song from start to finish? Kind of like the musical equivalent of speed painting videos.

The closest I've really seen are Home Recording Revolution (I think that's the name), Ryan Bruce, kind of Ola Englund and Spectre Sound Studios. I was hoping the Rob Chapman Dorje documentary was going to be exactly what you're looking for but it turned out that "warts and all" meant "the best clips we put together to show an approximation of what we're doing", so that was a bit disappointing.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Is there like a goon tour schedule somewhere? It'd be cool to have goons post in threads with like:
Genre:
Time:
Place:

etc etc

I'd love to go to local goon shows.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Pokey Araya posted:

I always use to post my tour schedule and didn't have a goon come out in 3 years so I kinda just stopped. This is what we just did.

Haha, funnily enough I had you in mind when I asked! I think the biggest ask is most of you guys are in America, so unless you do an Aus tour it limits who I can see :( But yeah, I'm doing the live music thing more so goon bands would be cool for me.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
There's also been buzz about Distrokid. Same sort of deal, $20 a year subscription and they upload all your stuff to a bunch of services. No idea whether it's better or worse though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Where's the best place to post demos to get feedback now? The old sketches thread is pretty dead.

I have 1.5 EPs demo'd with no vocals and just wanted to get feedback on the composition and stuff, but I don't think it warrants a thread for itself.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've been reading that thread but it seems to be mainly almost finished albums or talk about actually recording. My poo poo is just bedroom demos that aren't even completely finished in terms of writing.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Quick question to any Aussies. I want to rehaul my first electric guitar. I was going to order from GFS which isn't too pricey. But once you add shipping and conversion it comes to like AU$300. I bought the guitar new for 250.

So yeah, anyone know of an Australian parts place? They don't need to be brand name stuff, I just want it working again.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Not sure whether this belongs here or in the stupid music poo poo thread. Does anyone know a decent, reliable place to get custom guitar straps? Specifically I'm looking for good fabric or leather straps with the trans flag colour scheme. I'm usually quite timid about this sort of thing but I kind of want to fly the colours I'm proud of.

I emailed Couch straps cause they're always highly recommended but I haven't received a reply and it's been like a week :(

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Rocksmith cable works well honestly, but depending on configuration stuff can have a little latency but that usually just means tweaking. It's not the most amazing solution, and I'd recommend a Focusrite Solo and a cable, but at the same time I still use it a bunch, and it's pretty amazing for a grab and go situation.

Edit: also just grab a USB A to C adapter, it'll be fine.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This is bugging the loving poo poo out of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV5wT-ps9DI

I swear to God I have heard the melody and chord structure before in another (older?) song. I played it for a friend and they had the same immediate reaction. Music nerds, can you help?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you have emotional or mental blockers, then yeah therapy is always good, I can vouch for it myself.

I also suggest that if you make music a specific way (synths, guitar, whatever) that you can really broaden your mind and approach by learning even the basics of another instrument unrelated to your usual. Play guitar, learn keyboard, play synths, learn a kimba. Whatever it is it'll require a different approach and even if you don't intend to master it the lessons learned will transfer to your main thing.

Learn all the instruments feasible basically. Even if you self teach, that's great. You don't need to become a virtuoso, you just need to open the ability to see and interpret ideas.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

BonHair posted:

Upcoming bands are always into making music videos because it's the best possible promotional material nowadays. If you don't mind that the band is just some guys who will realistically never amount to anything, make a nice post on the local musicians Facebook page and tell what you want.

Yeah, given that bands usually have to pay a decent chunk to make any sort of music video or promo material any sort of free or budget offer will be snapped up pretty drat quickly. Local bands I know shoot videos in their backyards, so that's the sort of funding you're looking at to be honest.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I want to mention about modes that they started making more sense to me when I started playing more piano and helped filled in gaps that I wasn't grasping with guitar.

The main "purpose" of modes for me is to simply know where the tonic, or centre, is. I started noodling about on piano and was working around the core progression of C Major -> G Minor -> F Major -> C Major. In terms of Major or Minor keys it would be either D Minor (Aeolian) or F Major (Ionian) but it doesn't *feel* like either.

That's because the whole thing is clearly revolving around C Major, which makes it C Mixolydian. So I tend to think of modes as "yes, this can be a major or minor key, but what is it actually revolving around and resolving to?"

The quick rule of thumb (and is not a rigorous rule at all) is simply what is your progression starting at? If it all fits in a major or minor key but starts and revolves around a different chord/note in that key then you're probably using a different mode!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a request. I want to pick up either violin or viola, but I currently live in an apartment. Very well insulated so I'm not worried about neighbours but I am worried about annoying my housemate while I'm in the lovely learning stages.

If anyone has access to:
Violin/Viola
Mutes, especially heavy ones
Decibel meter

I would appreciate if I can get some basic measurements of volume with/without mutes at various distances (a metre away, next room with open door, etc) because I hate the idea of bringing one home to learn and finding out I can't play it without driving whoever I'm living with insane. Thanks!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have, but I would prefer an acoustic one for the sake of the times I don't need to play quietly. I did actually go and look at violins today, didn't like the electric one, but found that the Artino mute was more than good enough for my needs so looks like that'll be the direction I go. Trying to find information via compressed YouTube videos was a fruitless endeavour, as always the solution was "just go try some out".

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Get you a nice interface, like one of the Scarletts that have enough inputs. The Scarlett 4i4 would probably do what you want perfectly. There's also a tonne of other great interfaces, check out the home recording thread.

Interface, and a couple nice mics. Nothing too special, just don't get like AliExpress mics (mainly cause some of the wiring is fire-hazard level). Anything else you might want like a mic stand or whatever should be pretty affordable.

Edit: Ignore the mic advice, missed that you had some. If any of those instruments have line outs a good interface will give you a couple extra ins for those on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I bounce between MuseScore and Reaper all the time, I just export the midi and they co-operate well. I assume Sibelius has a midi export/import function too.

Makes it a lot easier to hear things in a full setup if I'm using things that aren't easily doable.in MuseScore.