Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I have an odd question that I feel would be better suited to NMD in general but there's no "small questions" thread, so I'm asking here. In Locked Out of Heaven by Bruno Mars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-fA-gBCkj0) there's a sound being played on an electronic device making a sound in the third, seventh, and eighth measures of every phrase...what is the sound being used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Ortazel posted:

It's an Akai MPC playing a cuica sample (that dog bark sound you hear on every 90s drum machine latin kit)

Thanks!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

heap posted:

Plus, I prefer browsing Craigslist that way because it's easier to scan through a bunch of pictures instead of line after line of text listings that may or may not be descriptive.

This, and some apps let you search multiple cities simultaneously. Best feature ever.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Just out of curiosity, what language are you translating from, and what's the native phrase?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Musical imagination is perfect, it's not like it's some untranslatable thing like wabi-sabi. If there's no word for what you want, make it yourself! :)

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Johnny Truant posted:

I have a two part question. First, I remember there being an ask/tell topic about a guy who worked as the head sound engineer on a cruise ship, does anyone have it bookmarked or archives and could possibly locate it for me? I'd be very grateful!

I remember reading this thread a while ago, so I looked it up. Here you go. I'd be interested to hear what people have to say about your other questions!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

I just bought a cajon, does anyone have any recommended learning resources (books, dvds, websites)? I've been looking around myself, but there doesn't seem to be anything with high acclaim.

If you find some good resources, could you send me a PM with the details?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Does anyone know of any resources for practicing sight reading drum set stuff?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Interstitial Abs posted:

lots of great stuff

Oops, I suppose skill level is actually somewhat relevant to my question. I'd say "advanced but not professional". I suppose a website (multiple?) is/are exactly what I'm looking for since I'm leaning toward "free", and with an equal emphasis on both charts and reading.

That Pickering book seems like something that I'd actually spend money on at the moment...I hope you remember it soon, because I couldn't find much with vague search terms. In the meantime, what are those other chart books you mentioned?

How would you compare the Jazz Drum Cookbook to John Riley's Art of Bop Drumming? And what's the sprang a Lang? I can't seem to find anything about it.

I've actually gone through most of New Breed (sans singing, haha), and it's probably my favorite book for how detailed it is and how much you can get out of it. Do the Alfred books and Realistic Rock have anything that is substantially more well done than New Breed, or do they cover a lot of the same stuff?

Also, Burton grip supremacy!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Now if only it were on Mac too, sigh

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

For just music theory, Tonal Harmony by Kostka and Payne is an amazing book that will take you from "what's a staff?" to composing atonal music. Make sure to do all of the quizzes, self-tests, and the homework from the (separate) workbook though, otherwise you'll barely understand what's going on by chapter 4.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I have an odd question...how would you mic a harp using one microphone? Being a drummer, my first guess would be by the left or right ear, but harps are very different from a drum set.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

My teacher and I just use slash notation...it's kinda "boxy" looking, but it's a lot quicker than scribbling a notehead and trying to get the flags perfect. Half and whole notes are still circles. I will admit to having quite a bit of free time on a DJ gig once and spending too much time perfecting the treble clef though, ahaha...

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

lilljonas posted:

How long did you play/how good were you before you went out to actually seek out bands/visit jam session? I only have experience from playing in school orchestras as a kid, but now I've picked up an electric guitar and have no idea what that to expect. I am crap but can kind of struggle through a simple song if I focus on it for a few days.

I'm a drummer so it's a little different, but I started after three years. If you go to open mics it's a lot easier than jam sessions because instead of getting kicked off the stage if you haven't memorized the tunes, that random singer/songwriter is psyched to have a drummer behind them. And if they decent they'll give you cues to stop playing for a measure or two and then hop back in. Maybe YOU can be that singer/songwriter?

For jam sessions I'm still pretty bad at jazz and I scope out every jam a week before I play. There are some that are cool and if you don't know all the tunes, or can't solo, etc. whatever you're learning. And then there are ones where they'll stop the tune to kick you off stage. Chicago's got those and everywhere in between. Maybe try joining a nearby college's no-audition jazz big band for a start?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

What's the best way to analyze a song's structure? Let's use Psycho Killer as an example.

What would you call the "We are vain and we are blind / I hate people when they're not polite" section? And the part sung entirely in French, is that a bridge?

Sorry if my questions are silly

The major parts of the song are the verse, chorus, and bridge. Yup, the French part is the bridge! It's the "completely different" section that only happens once. The lyrics you gave, I'd consider them to be the last bit of the bridge, before going back into the chorus, the section that repeats, almost verbatim if not verbatim (the fa fa fa" section). The verse is the part that repeats with the same melody and chords, but the words are usually different every time.

Less major, this song also happens to have an intro, which is exactly as it sounds: "stuff before the actual song". Usually it's really simple in pop tunes to draw the listener in, like in Psycho Killer it's just the drummer tapping the bass drum.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Drummer here. I think the main appeal to the phrase is that the drummer stops playing the bass drum. Up until this point in the song he's been playing upbeats on the hihat, and the only difference is the orchestration to playing on the snare rim (not "side stick" or "rimshots"). He does fuss it up with a couple extra notes, but they're not the main focus.

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 12, 2015

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

What are some student-, intermediate-, and professional-level accordion brands/models?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Does anyone here keep a practice log? What do you keep track of? How is it organized? May I see it, or even just a section of it?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

for fucks sake posted:

For a while I kept my practice log in a notebook, but I didn't like it because it's usually in the wrong room and it's hard to get a summary of what you've been working on.

My current practice log is in Trello. It's easy to see at a glance what I'm currently working on. The colour labels are red for exercises, green for tunes I'm working on and yellow for teaching material I'm going through (blue is for music production stuff).

I keep the progress for a given exercise, book or course up to date inside that ticket.

Thank you!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I have a pair of Westone custom ear plugs and one of the filters split in half somehow? Is there any way to fix it, or should I just buy a new one?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Is there a way to stream from two sources, and what is the process for that? Specifically the screen of my phone and a camera (probably the camera of an old phone, but not necessarily).

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

+1 in the custom ear plugs, they're the best purchase I've ever made

LargeHadron posted:

I recorded an album and I think it's really good, but I don't know what to *do* with it.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

So, then, how exactly does one get their record to pick up steam?

Buy a physical copy of All You Need to Know About the Music Business by Robert Passman. Read it cover to cover. Take notes in it.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Is there not a singing/vocals thread

I really wish there were, cuz that's what I need the most help with

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Hawkgirl posted:

Oh hell yeah we should have a vocal thread. We did a long time ago I think...maybe I will make one.

You can rip the template or anything useful from my drum/percussion thread if it'll help

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

You don't even have to give a reason

"hi I'd like to rent a hyperlydian double flute tuned to a432"

"that'll be 426 exposure bucks per millisecond"

"toot"

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Hawkgirl posted:

I was supposed to write one but then like the month of October happened. :(

I'm still 100% down to help with this in any way I can

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

This is incredibly out there and I don't expect a response, but does anyone know where I can get a decent quality picture of the front and back covers of The Modern Library Favorite Polkas (and maybe the table of contents?). Low quality image for context

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

revolther posted:

Best I could find was ripping from the ebay result google brings up.

Thank you! Now I just have to figure out how to convert them to pdf

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

MrSargent posted:

What is your scope? Are you doing all of the music for the entire ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, and then the dance party?

For the actual dance part of the wedding, few recommendations come to mind. Work with the bride and groom to get an idea of what music they would like to hear at the wedding. My wife and I were able to go to a website and add songs to a playlist for our DJ, marking them as must-plays, should-plays, and do not play which was really helpful. Even if you have been told to just make your own playlist, I would still try to get as much info from the bride/groom as possible on what feeling they want. Have a huge library of music and Top40 stuff for inevitable requests later in the night. I would say in general be polite with requests but don't feel bad saying no if the request is on the do not play list or is something you know would not go over well with the bride/groom.

Let us know a bit more about what you are being asked to do and I can give you some more tips.

All of this. Additionally, your primary job is to keep the dance floor as full as possible. It's easier as a DJ because you're one person and can switch songs at any point, but if you've been playing energetic/fast songs for a while and the dance floor is clearing, play a slow song and slowly build up the energy across several songs again. Group your songs together into sets, e.g. Motown, recent hits, hip hop, etc.

Check out a few wedding DJ websites and see their playlists. Here's one from a company in Chicago. Yeah, the whole line dance category is stale and played at every wedding, but people love dancing to them. http://toastandjamdjs.com/assets/uploads/general/TJSampleSonglist2017.pdf

Whatever the bride says is law. The guests aren't paying you.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

C natural minor. The first phrase is C D Eb D C D Bb. The Bb is sustained and the B natural is just a pickup into the second phrase; if they were reversed it would be harmonic minor.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I am pretty good at playing piano by ear, but sight-reading continues to be a nightmare to me. It's not so much the notes, but the rhythm. If I know the music already, it's usually a walk in the park, but mostly because my hands just naturally kind of know where to go without the music.

My girlfriend does musical theatre and is increasingly bringing home sheet music that is incredibly complex. For example, tonight's work is Revolting Children from Matilda, which alternates between 4/4 and 7/8 periodically and goes VERY fast with semiquavers galore. I have NO idea how to count quickly in 7/8 to the resolution of semiquavers. Does anyone have any advice as to how to better grasp this? I even struggle to count quavers if it's 4/4 or 3/4 because I'm often counting the crotchets. Even if my toe is tapping double time, this seldom helps.

Count quavers as you walk, each step is a crotchet. Count in different crotchet-based time signatures, not just 4/4, e.g. 3/4 and 5/4. After you stop losing count, start systematically clapping (or tapping your leg if you want to be discreet) quavers: eight measures on the downbeat of 1, then downbeat of 2, downbeat of 3, downbeat of 4, then + of 1, + of 2, + of 3, + of 4.

Then count 7/8 while walking (no clapping). First measure your steps will be on "downbeats"/odd numbers, second measure they'll be on "upbeats"/even numbers. Do the clapping systematically as well.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean count crotchets as I walk, rather than quavers?

And I'm not sure what you mean by eight measures on the downbeat? Have I understood that to mean 2 bars of 4/4? I'm not sure what you mean "downbeat of two" etc.

Thanks!

I'm American and am about 14% sure I used your terminology correctly, so here's a worksheet I put together

edit: "downbeat of 2" means when you say "two", vs. "+ of 2"/"and of two" is when you say "and" after that "two", e.g. verbosely counting a single measure of music would be:
downbeat of one
and of one
downbeat of two
and of two
downbeat of three
and of three
downbeat of four
and of four

Jazz Marimba fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 7, 2018

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I'm sorry but this has just confused me more! As I understand, I am doing left / right steps, with each step as a crotchet. I am also presumably saying "and" to represent the quavers between these notes?
If this is correct, I'm still lost as to the emphasis of the downbeat shifting across the bar, presumably indicated by the x-crotchet in your score?
If you're happy, I wouldn't mind talking over PM. I'm sure we can clear up the confusion quickly, but I don't wanna derail the thread!

Yes, count all quavers, saying aloud "one and two and three and four and". The x is clapping. PM me if you have more questions; I can (should've?) add a couple more things to the worksheet for clarity.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

MrSargent posted:

If someone is critiquing a hip-hop beat I made and suggested “modernizing” the drums a bit, what does that mean? I’m waiting for clarification but figured I would ask here. Is it more on the sample selection or the processing of the drums?

That can mean anything without having heard it; can you post it here?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm auditioning for theatre musicals and they want to know my highest and lowest note. What is the proper method for determining this? Is it just supposed to be what I can hit comfortably, or do I include what I can hit with falsetto and sort of silly-sounding bass notes?

When I try it out I get C2-G4, though at topmost I can go up to E5 with a sort of wacky falsetto.

Know your chest and head (falsetto) ranges. Know what's comfortable and easy to sing vs. what is not.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

MrSargent posted:

It isn't a finished track yet, but here is what I sent him.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sff6RnEsAHmz_4GYZqGldCFkuiCi5DZc

Some of it is coming from the NotDrums--it sounds like a lofi hip-hop stream.

For the drums, in general it sounds like you sampled a record instead of programmed them on a computer; they have a "live" feeling. The hihat specifically is too loose; a lot of modern hip-hop uses a very tight, dry tone (e.g. Kendrick, Cardi B, Bruno Mars, Chance, etc.).

Who are some artists whose drums you like (even if you hate their music)? Why do you like them? If you like the sound of "older" drums, then ignore your friend; there are artists going for that sound right now, most notably Anderson .Paak

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I'm super interested but have zero time to put that together :(

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

It makes it easier to play the high notes without bending your wrist and getting carpal tunnel.

There are a /lot/ of high notes on that bass.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I just started learning accordion (yeah, I know, I'm goony, hipster trash). Does anyone have any resources they recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

What are some audio editing programs besides GarageBand? I'm specifically looking for one where you can zoom in on the waveform (more than GarageBand allows) to be able to precisely cut preceding and trailing silence from short audio samples (0.1-5.0 seconds), bonus if it allows files to be shorter than 0.5 seconds