Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e:nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Does anyone have the chords to Whorehouse Blues by Motörhead? I'm trying to make a Mandolin version and can only find guitar tabs, not the chords.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm exploring alternate tuning and had some simple, dumb questions I just wanted to clarify to make sure I'm doing it right.

C standard is 2 whole steps down from standard E tuning. So if I were to play a typical B chord in E standard, playing the same frets in C standard would be playing a G chord?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Vargatron posted:

You are correct. Same way as a capo bring everything up a set number of steps.

Awesome, thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Have another question about alternate tuning.

I wrote a song in the key of A using E standard tuning. I want to play the song in C standard. I know I could just play the same song except two whole steps up in C standard, but what would happen if I played the song as if it were E standard in C standard? Would it be the same song just in the key of F or would I have to make more adjustments to play the song in the key of F?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Your song was in A, and your tuning was E standard. When you retune to C standard, everything you play drops two steps (E -> C) so the same happens to your song if you play it the same way as before. So yeah, it effectively gets transposed to F

Thank you! I usually write songs in E standard but play them in C standard, so it helps to know I can basically just play them the same but have the key be 2 steps lower.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Quick question: if I am playing a song in the key of B, would I be able to use a B minor blues scale for soloing? I know if the song is in the key of B I would use the Ab minor pentatonic, and was wondering if that also applied to blues.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I assume you mean 'Key of B major' (that is, the notes B, C#, D#, E, F# G#, A#, B) ? If that's the case then Ab/G# Minor pentatonic would work as would most of C# and D# minor pentatonic. Once you start talking about 'blues scale' however, you're really working with a musical tradition that doesn't 'fit' - it can flip between major and minor, you can play all seven chords, you can play the tritone (blue note) so it's OK to feel more free with it.

NB: if you're being strictly correct, you should call the relative minor of B major, G# minor - the reason is that you ideally want to fit one of each letter into a scale, and since you have to have an A#, you can't have an Ab as well, so that note has to be a G#.

My bad, that is what I meant. I don't know a lot about theory so I've been trying to learn more. That info is very helpful, thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I know if I'm writing a song in the key of A, then 1st chord=Major, 2=Minor, 3=Minor, 4=Major, etc.

Does this apply to all scales? I've been exploring the byzantine scale recently, and if I wanted to write a song using that scale would it still be 1st degree of scale= major chord, 2nd degree of scale= minor chord, etc? Or does this only apply to the major scale?

I hope this wasn't worded too weirdly and you all can understand what I'm trying to ask.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hawkgirl posted:

Nah I get it. I think the part you’re missing is the reason why those chords are major, minor, etc is because they’re all built from chord tones. If we’re taking A major scale, the first chord is A major because the 1st, 3rd, and 5th note of the scale are A, C#, and E, which creates a major chord.

I dunno what a Byzantine scale is, but yes, the pattern you mentioned only applies to major scales. Like, the chord pattern in a minor starts with, well, the a minor chord. You could probably figure out the chords in your scale by spelling out the notes of the scale and seeing what chords they form. Does that help?

Definitely, that helps a lot. Thank you very much! The only other thing I would ask is do you know a good resource of where I can learn more about all this? I'm trying to work on my theory but I still find some of this whole scale-chord relationship confusing.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 3, 2018

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hawkgirl posted:

Yeah, that’s a good question. Like, this is the sort of stuff you learn in college music theory classes. I have a few textbooks that go over it. I’m not sure of any free internet resources that teach, essentially, Western style harmony, but I’m sure something exists somewhere. Musictheory.net exists but I think this is a little beyond its scope. If you have a local community college nearby, the music theory classes might be up your alley.

That's definitely something I think I'm going to look into. Thank you again for your help!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thank you both for the resources! I think I'll end up using them both. I try to get as much information as I can. A big problem I have isn't actually learning the theory itself but rather finding what to learn (if that makes sense). Since there's so much theory and it's all so interconnected it can be tough on where to start and where to go, but I'm slowly navigating. Thanks everyone for your help.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm experimenting with playing scales over different chords, and I have a theory question.

So let's say I'm playing a chord progression of G major > C major > D major and then that repeats. I play the G major scale over the G chord, C major scale over the C chord, etc

but if I wanted to play in mixolydian, would that mean I just use G mixolydian over G, C mixolydian over C, etc? Or am I misunderstanding how modes work?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hawkgirl posted:

Sure, you can do that. Modes are literally just scales. I think you might be thinking you should use one mode for a set of chords/a chord progression? Which yeah, you can do, but not so much with the example you gave, because there’s some pitches that are not common between all three chords. If it were C major, G major, D Minor, you could do all of that with a C major scale or a G mixolydian scale, or a couple other scales too.

Thank you for the reply! I know about using one scale over a chord progression, but I'm trying to expand my playing a bit by using multiple scales when I solo over a progression. What you said definitely makes sense though. If anyone has any other tips for this type of stuff, that would be great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dumb question, what chord is this: A, C#, E, B ? It's an a major with an added 2nd (I believe), but is there a name for it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

add2 or add9. It's not a sus2 because it has a third in it and it's not a 9 chord because there's no 7th.

Thank you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm looking for help regarding music theory and rhythm guitar: in short I don't know how to make my boring playing more interesting.

Say I'm playing rhythm guitar to a basic chord progression like G, C, D. I can strum the open chords, I can strum the bar chords, I can strum a whole different host of chord triads all up and down the fretboard, but they are all largely boring as I am still just playing G, C, D.

I guess I'm just asking how to spice things up. I don't even know what I need to learn to make my rhythm interesting. I adore the rhythm of people like Bob Weir, but I have no clue how to do what he is doing. I feel like in a basic chord progression like G, C, D I should be throwing more chords in there on top to make it sound cool but I have no idea what chords those would even be.

I've been working so hard on my lead playing that I've ignored my rhythm entirely and I get frustrated because I only know how to play simple, basic rhythm and I can't even figure out what I need to learn to get better.

Sorry if this is very broad, doesn't make a lot of sense, or doesn't belong in this thread. The people in this thread have been very kind and extraordinarily helpful to me before and have offered some excellent advice, so I figured I'd ask here.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thank you for the advice everyone! i feel i've got some places to start now. as always this thread is awesome.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I wrote a little song the chord progression of which is Ebminor > Emaj7 > C# > Ebminor

I'm having trouble figuring out what key its in, or understanding how keys work in general with regards to this. I mean I've made this progression that sounds nice to me but how do I as, someone learning theory, go about determining which key this is in? Any help or resources would be much appreciated. I'm looking for stuff to help me understand more in general as well as for this specific little progression. Hopefully this isn't too big for the "small questions", I apologize if it is.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 18, 2018

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DreadCthulhu posted:

Do you have any favorite YouTube channels that focus on composition and music theory, preferably in pop music (basically anything that's not classical and jazz)? I've so far really enjoyed Signals Music Studio and Rick Beato's channels.

If you're into jam bands at all "Anatomy of a Jam" analyzes famous Phish jams in a really fun way, you learn a lot and don't have to be a Phish fan to enjoy/understand the videos, they're entertaining for anyone interested in learning about theory and improvisation in rock/jam music.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

This is a wicked dumb question but how do you guys clean your guitars neck/fretboard? I let my friend play a guitar of mine and he had something sticky on his fingers and now its all over my electric guitar :argh: anything specific to use to clean it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Theres tons of great youtube vids on how to play DAW-less shows.

Go to the youtube channel Ricky Dinez, he has tons of videos on DAW-less setups for electronic music. Here's an example: https://youtu.be/qnFoKhBFDCE

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I had a friend who wanted to learn the bagpipes, I think you typically start on the chanter before you add the bag.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

How can I learn to be more effective with EQ? I just want to get better at knowing what’s missing.

Like when a conversational voice is described as “dull and lifeless,” how do I fix that?

When I only care about hearing one specific sound in a noisy place, like a ball being kicked, how do I know what to boost or remove?

A quick google brought up this guide which looks pretty good: https://www.musicianonamission.com/approach-equalization-two-types-eq/#How_to_Use_an_Equalizer_by_Learning_the_Frequency_Spectrum Learning the science of how frequencies work definitely helped in my understanding of EQ. There's lots of great youtube videos that will help too, just make sure you listen with good headphones!

If you are a guitar player, there's a great pedal called "freeze" that will "freeze" the note/chord you play so it is constantly ringing. When I'm toneshaping on guitar, I learned a lot about EQ by freezing a chord, setting down my guitar, and then tinkering with the EQ. Over time I started to develop a better sense of how EQ works on guitar. I imagine you can find something similar for other instruments, or similar software in a DAW if you are making electronic music.

I'm not expert by any means, but I hope some of this was helpful.

EDIT: Another thing I did to help was get an EQ app on my phone/laptop and tinker with the EQ while I listen to music. Just simple stuff, but if you're like me and listen to a lot of music, the constant tinkering starts to help you develop a better sense of EQ faster than you'd think! For example, if there's a song I like and I want the bass boosted, and my EQ has 4 sliders in the bass range, tinkering with those and listening to the results will help me understand which sliders make the bass sound which way.

I listen to a lot of hardbop and 50s/60s jazz and always found the bass to be nearly inaudible. At first I just hit "bass boost" button on the EQ, but then it just made everything sound bassier. Honing in on certain frequencies until it sounded the way I liked help me learn how to get the bass how I like it to sound in jazz. I'd do this frequently over a variety of different genres, and after a while got a decent sense of how to do basic, simple EQ for music. This is obviously a simple first step, but it's a great way to just generally help your ear. Though tinkering with the EQ on a finished song is a lot different than tinkering with the EQ while making music, you get the idea and I've found both helpful.

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 16, 2020

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

I guess like everything, it comes down to experience. I may just need to collect some audio samples to focus on in my own time. I wish I had any musical experience at all.

I mix for broadcast. Live, almost always sports. For a long time I’ve been in a nice rotation of small gigs where I can get away with some slop. I could get away with some HPFs to clear congestion and call it good.

Lately I’ve been getting thrown into some bigger gigs. Like... shows that you’re probably aware of if you flip around on TV. Suddenly there are a lot of ears listening to my mixes and making a lot of critiques that I don’t know how to respond to.

I probably just need to make some multitrack records and play as-live later.

You probably already know more about EQ than I do in that case, I'm far from an expert just a hobbyist musician, but I wish you the best of luck my friend. Sounds like a pretty cool gig.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Brotein_Shake posted:

Is there somewhere else now people hang out to find other musicians? Grindr?

You just answered your own question my friend

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm trying to work on my jazz guitar and the whole "ascending/descending" thing regarding harmonic/natural/melodic minor. Does anyone have a guide around this concept that's wicked simple or that worked really well for them?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone recommend a good electronic/desktop EQ for my laptop? I listen to a lot of music on my computer while I'm working through headphones and while I run the signal through a tube preamp, sometimes I just want to tweak things a little bit.

I travel fairly often so I often take my laptop with me without the preamp and listen to music on it, which is why I want a digital EQ I can just open up on my homescreen instead of an external/physical one.

I don't want to spend a ton of money on it, but I am willing to pay if it's worth it/a reasonable price. Free is always better tho!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do they say why or do they have any idea? My guess is something like “conscious brain can get squirrelly and overthink things, so if it’s busy with something else things work better” and it’s kind of like giving your brain the cognitive equivalent of a Denny’s placemat, but that’s just a guess.

I practice a lot with TV shows I've seen 1000x playing in the background, and eventually it got to the point where I couldn't watch TV without playing guitar.

I have bad ADHD, but my friends who don't also have similar practices, especially the drummers as noted above.

My personal theory is that the modern brain is so used to short rapid dopamine hits (because of a million reasons), that simply sitting and focusing on the TV isn't giving it enough stimulation. But I am not a scientist, that's just kinda my guess.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

im trying to learn reading music on bass and find the practice programs in the book im using arent helpful because by the 2nd or 3rd time I run through the exercise I just play the pattern by ear.

Is there an app or website that will just throw randomly generated notes at me to play to practice to?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what made it click for me is saying for example E Aeloian instead of G major helps you understand its supposed to sound "Aoliean"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

cruft posted:

I like tofurkey on thanksgiving :colbert:

no you dont mr. simpson. nobody does.