Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Can anyone help me identify this alto saxophone? It is the Schiller brand but I cannot deduce the model. I was looking at the models the company makes including the La Premiere, Elite IV, Elite V, etc., but I noticed that the pads on those instruments are all dark green whereas the pads on this one are red. I may buy this instrument for $200 off Craigslist tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Hawkgirl posted:

Yeah it's pretty hard to tell, the pad color is not really relevant, it's just whatever color their supplier had when they made the order. You could try checking the serial number to see if it has any hints. Most saxes have them just above the Eb key (that's the lowest key you can see in your last picture). If it's not there, try up around the neck, or somewhere else near the bottom of the instrument.

Do you play saxophone yet? If you can, play test it before you buy it. The neck being upside down in the case in the first pic worries me. If the dude selling it doesn't know enough about the sax to put it away correctly, who knows what might be wrong with it. $200 for a sax that appears to be in near-new condition is a loving steal, even the cheapest knock-off "toy" saxophones that will fall apart on you in a month cost $400 new. Even if it doesn't play I'd probably still buy this one for $200 because it probably just needs some minor adjustments.

Thanks for the help. The reason I couldn't identify it was because it was a Schill, not a Schiller (both Chinese-made instruments anyway). I am mainly a bass clarinetist and bassoonist but I know enough about the sax to get around patriotic music and marches which are popular in the summertime, so I thought I'd pick up the instrument to sub when needed. I bought it after haggling the guy down a little bit and I'll try playing it through the summer and perhaps sell it at the start of the school season if there's any interest.