Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

He wants a modular synth in one form or another. In software form there are things like Reaktor (complicated, flexible) or Blok (simple, relatively inflexible). In hardware form there are many options but realistically for a decent setup you are looking at spending a couple grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

The sine wave is the most basic waveform. I'm not sure what the fundamental reason is that the math shakes out that way. Any (audio) waveform can be broken down into a combination of sines. For example, a saw wave can be broken down into sine waves that are multiples of the fundamental frequency and decrease in amplitude as they go up. A square is the same thing except only odd multiples of the fundamental. Triangles are also only odd but with a steeper falloff.

In other words, the harmonics or overtones "are" sine waves. This youtube video illustrates it with square, saw, and triangle but without audio. This one has audio but only shows a square, and what he calls a "Perfect" square at the end is not quite right (and is also very loud, watch out), but it's good up till then.

Edited for some clarity and better examples now that I'm not bashing it out while at work.

breaks fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 27, 2010

breaks
May 12, 2001

Short Circuit is a decent, free sampler that should do what you want. Go with 1.1.2, as 2 was never finished and is buggy as hell.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Guitarchitect posted:

can anyone show me a cheap midi/USB foot pedal thing? They all seem so expensive... I just need something with a few buttons that I can hit with my foot to execute commands... the more the merrier!

Line6 makes a couple, I think the smallest one is like 100 bucks.

The classic trashy diy way to do it is to buy the cheapest USB keyboard you can find, pop most of the keys off, and then superglue some pieces of plastic to the ones you left behind.

Obviously you may still need to turn the keypresses into MIDI one way or another.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Don't do it if you want to keep being his friend.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Try Studio One Free. If it's the same as the big boy versions, there should be an "export parts to MIDI file" option in the Event menu.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Why are you using your onboard sound if you have the Scarlett?

breaks
May 12, 2001

If you are looking for a click click done kind of thing, it doesn't exist. Certainly the instruments are on many different tracks in the studio, but once it's delivered to you it's all been mixed down to stereo and there is no way to easily undo that.

Obviously there is processing you can do to try to isolate particular parts of the song if you want to do a bootleg or whatever. In general you need to invest a fair bit of effort to get useful results and it will never be perfect. I hate Audacity but it is free and ought to have the basic tools you need (EQ and maybe mid/side conversion). Really the most important part is finding a spot in the song where what you want is as isolated as possible already.

breaks fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 22, 2013

breaks
May 12, 2001

Also it's not to say that you can't do a good bootleg by taking samples from a stereo track, it's just that there's a fair bit of work and effort involved. You have to do a good job of picking what to sample (take stuff from breakdowns, intros, outros, and other sections where there isn't too much going on), cleaning it up (if you want a vocal and it has drums under it, get in there and manually duck the stuff between words, etc), and then using it in your track by putting noisy samples in busy sections of your own track that will mask the junk, making sure you aren't playing notes or rhythms that clash, and so on.

There are also some clever/expensive tools you can use these days, like Unveil for deverbing things, maybe even Melodyne can help sometimes.

breaks
May 12, 2001

It's a eurorack modular synth. There are a wide variety of pre-built modules available, I think all the ones in that case are, but there is also a solid DIY community if you are into that kind of thing. Either way, you buy or build a case and some modules and then put the modules into the case yourself most of the time, though some manufacturers offer prebuilt systems (for example).

There are some modular plugins available, like Sonigen Modular, Vaz Modular (quite old now), herw's Reaktor ensembles, the Arturia moog modular plugin, I'm sure there are others. These inevitably have less of a variety of modules available, tend towards including only the more "vanilla" modules, generally don't handle high rate modulations well, and of course you have to interact with it using a mouse and keyboard which is IMO much worse. On the other hand they are polyphonic, whereas hardware modulars aren't.

It's a completely different thing from a looping pedal, there is no point in comparing them.

breaks fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 27, 2013

breaks
May 12, 2001

Assuming that the free show got scheduled after the paid one, you are screwing the promoter so she's rightfully pissed. If you decide to make it even more difficult for the people shouldering the financial risk to make money, they are likely to decide to make things more difficult for you (ie. by not paying you, not booking you in the future, telling everyone else not to book you, whatever). How much you care about that is up to you I guess.

breaks fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 6, 2013

breaks
May 12, 2001

Just to elaborate a little, the reason Eb is sensible is that the key of Eb has 3 flats whereas the equivalent key of D# would have 9 sharps. A key with 9 sharps is a lot harder to understand and read than one with 3 flats, so D# is generally not used and music is written out in Eb instead. So, as a result, absent any other context the assumption is that a D#/Eb major chord is in the key of Eb.

breaks
May 12, 2001

In general, the bigger your hands the more lenient you can be about where you hold your guitar without destroying your wrist. The main thing is that you should keep your wrist as straight as possible as much as possible, ideally always. Thumbing the low E is not necessarily ideal from a shreadhead technique perspective, but a lot of the times you don't actually bend your wrist very much doing that, so it's not a health hazard. What wrecks the wrist is heavy playing with it bent forward or backward at a sharp angle. If you're playing with a 90 degree bend in your wrist a lot it'll probably send you to a doctor sooner or later.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Studio One Free is a pretty good DAW if your needs are basic (and in particular if you don't need VST plugins). Of course the paid versions are more featureful.

If you want a notation editor (ie. sheet music) instead of a DAW/piano roll kind of thing, Notion is pretty decent, and while it's not free, it's only 50 bucks for the next week or so. If you have an iPad the iPad version is also good and cheaper (but they microtransaction you for soundpacks).

breaks
May 12, 2001

Remixes are not fair use in the US. I don't know where that idea comes from. There are plenty of instances where someone has sampled or remixed something that became popular or notable, and they were then (successfully) sued.

About the worst things that will ever happen, though, are that the person you are remixing or their representation will get mad at you, and if you made any money they will hire lawyers to take it from you.

With the whole remix contest thing, it depends on what you agreed to. If there was poor legal preparation and no agreement, then lawyers would have to hash it out if it came to that. More likely they would just get mad at you if they didn't want you using them.

breaks fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 11, 2014

breaks
May 12, 2001

If you haven't already, check your mix in mono outside of a PA setting and see if you get the same problem.

There isn't any difference between mixing the two loops on the fly and bouncing them beforehand, unless some other change is also happening as a result of that process (for example you are mixing them differently, or converting them to mono, or whatever).

breaks
May 12, 2001

There are a few amp brakes / attenuators / dummy loads with headphone jacks on them, but I don't know how well those would work with a little amp like that.

breaks
May 12, 2001

The Genesis, like a lot of other consoles, games, and computers from its era, had a Yamaha FM chip in it that handled most of its audio duties. You can look up whatever exact chips were in whatever machine. The capabilities are usually some kind of FM, sample playback, maybe some kind of very simple square wave/noise chip, etc. There was little ROM space for samples and not nearly enough horsepower for real DSP work, so samples are usually minimal and software filters and whatnot perhaps unheard of.

I don't use FM much and definitely don't do chiptunes, but to me it sounds like 2x FM voices, the second one is a quieter, later, maybe detuned version of the first (using a 2nd voice to make a "delay" is a really common trick from those days), all ops on both voices rising in pitch, start with just 2 ops per voice and play with the modulator ratio and see if you can get it close. Holding the pitch on one op while sliding others has a pretty distinct sound that I don't really hear here, but like I say, I'm not that experienced with FM and it's possibly just a matter of careful attention to parameters or something specific to these old FM chips. Most modern FM synths will give you cleaner sounds than this old Yamaha stuff but you can probably dig up a VST that emulates it or some kind of tracker ROM for a full console emulator or whatever, there is a whole pile of that kind of stuff from the chiptune scene.

breaks fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 28, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

Just since limitations of the instruments was mentioned, wanted to throw out that there's myriad examples of this stuff where it's purely an artistic decision. I know he's a bit cheese ball sometimes but look up Eric Whitacre on YouTube, he really has a knack for cool voicings in a choir context. Plus you can dig up scores and analyze in detail if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

When I'm stuck or indecisive about an arrangement, I like the approach of mapping out the arrangement of some other track I like and straight copying it, since it takes the decision making out of my hands. And then it can be adjusted if something's not quite right.