Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Luigi Thirty posted:

My dad used to use Band in a Box in the 90s as automatic accompaniment when he played guitar. He's looking for the modern equivalent of that, some software where you give it a key, start playing, and it comes up with background tracks to play to. He loves his Roland JV-1010 that he's had forever so it doesn't even need samples, just MIDI. Any ideas?

Band In A Box is still around and actively updated. Pretty sure it still looks as fugly as it did in the 90s but apart from that it's terrific. Especially if you want to play stuff other than rock/pop, it has a crazy selection of styles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

I do mostly vocal stuff, as such I just use stupid and bad things like audacity. It works for everything I need. However I was trying to do something the other day and could not get it to work.

Basically I have two tracks, one is background music that I want to play at a fairly audible level, the other is a spoken word track. I was wondering if there was a technique (other than manually enveloping the entire 2+ hour long clip) to make the the background music track automatically quiet down when the spoken word track was speaking?

This process is called ducking, it is typically done by putting a compressor effect on the music track and feeding the vocal as a sidechain input to the compressor. It's much easier to do in a DAW like Reaper where you can preview/adjust effects in realtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZZGP35JVM