Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hello. i have been using ableton on a macbook pro from 2015 as both my main composing /producing setup and for live performances. one of my main touring jobs involves live electro-acoustic ambient soundtrack work for a stage show. my typical setup is running a bunch of loops on ableton and playing mandolin or keyboard instruments that run through a focusrite interface into the laptop. pretty basic stuff. ive done hundreds of these shows with this same laptop, which i also use for all kinds of other production work at home, and its been very stable and great the whole time

however it is now this year finally coming towards the end of its time, it creaks and moans, its been a bit banged up on the road, big new softsynths like the most recent version of massive give it a heart a attack, and i spend half of my time working freezing tracks and trying to get the cpu to stop crunching. its time for a new machine

however, also, im pretty close to broke. ive been looking at non-apple options and some are within reach a few months from now. a new macbook pro is not

my question is, does anyone make music with a non-apple laptop on stage and have it regularly like.. work every time without crashing or needing various updates and poo poo? i used pc's until the late 00's and they were just not stable, ive heard they are better now but basically just wondering if anyone here actually uses pc's in your live setup, what you use and how it goes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Polybrute posted:

Do you guys do anything specific outside of posting your music to streaming sites? I have a facebook I post to every once in a while but I always feel like I should be doing more. Whether it's instagram, or twitter. Social media has never been a strong suit of mine though.

its a pain in the rear end and can be soul killing, but in my experience it does help to at least somewhat actively post on social media in advance of releases and shows etc. you can usually get away with picking one platform to focus on and just copying poo poo to the others so i would look at other artists in your genre/scene and see where they are most active and find where the crowd is.

there's also companies like distrokid and tunecore, you basically pay them to get you music on other stores and streaming platforms. spotify and apple music and amazon etc plus a bunch of tiny sites, and make them available to use in tiktok videos, or show up on shazam.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Can anyone identify the instrument right at the start of this piece? The one that sounds kind of like an electronic howl?

sounds like an electric guitar + distortion to me.

or maybe a sample-based midi instrument, you can get that kind of sound with evolution strawberry or vir2 electri6ity run through guitar rig etc. but those are fairly recent, i dont remember what similar stuff was around when that game came out

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

fellow dds fan here!

personally i love vhs audio degration suite by james peck for any kind of vaporwave adjacent sound, tho its best if used with a light touch. unfortunately it requires the full version of reaktor

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/11003/

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

reaktor player is free but unfortunately the vhs audio degradation suite requires the full version

imo reaktor, like kontakt, is one of those things worth paying for because you aren't just buying one thing you are buying like hundreds of possible new tools, there are a ton of great free or very cheap instruments for both but tend to require the full version

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pondex posted:

Can anyone tell me what time this is in? Is it 5/4 or 9-something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT8MVjkG-ao

i would express it as 10/8 because it sounds to me like its grouped into 6+4. or rather 3+3+4

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i usually practice piano about 1-2 hours, but broken into two sessions at different types of day

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Plus there are instruments that have courses of strings instead of just one string per note : like the mandolin is tuned like a violin as GDAE by default, but since it's 8 strings in 4 courses of 2 it's actually GGDDAAEE.

there's also a variant of the mandola where the paired strings are tuned an octave apart. it sounds really cool.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Jazz Marimba posted:

all of them, they’re all famous guitarists

but that doesn’t mean they’re each playing unique parts, or even all playing at the same time—notice how a lot of the time willie nelson just isn’t playing, and two of the other singers are playing the same chords with the same voicings

to be fair, all four of the main guys are very low in the mix, as evidenced by the fact that the sound doesn't change much when all four put down their guitars and walk off stage lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Captain Walker posted:

Is it possible for an absolute beginner to play and record input from a single USB keyboard without any other specialized hardware? We have like three different paid programs including Pro Tools, MPC Beats, and Ableton. We don't have a separate MIDI interface besides whatever is built into the keyboard. Related, there is a major problem component between the chair and the keyboard, which encompasses a broad range of issues like not knowing what programs are considered DAWs or whether you need a DAW for this specifically.

yes, but you need something to be actually making the sound, whether thats a DAW or a free-standing software synth or whatever. a USB keyboard (if you mean what I think you mean) is just a controller, so you need something for it to control.

Ableton comes with a lot of fun instruments, so if you already have that installed I'd just go with that. you can add the keyboard in the link/midi section under preferences. iirc, ableton comes with a pretty good basic tutorial to get you started on how the interface works and everything, it might look overwhelming at first but its not that complicated.

you shouldn't need any additional hardware.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 15, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Captain Walker posted:

Yeah, the keyboard is a MIDI controller. Thinking of it that way helps; controllers are a means of input, and you need the right software for output (in this case Ableton, if I can find the tutorial.)

if you cant find the official tutorial there are a ton of people on youtube explaining the basics of ableton

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

BonHair posted:

My understanding is that midi isn't actually sound in a way that Audacity can recognize, but more like musical notation, sort of like "middle c synth for 10 seconds starting from 3.14", which you then need to translate into an actual sound in whatever software.

basically. midi information contains the pitch, velocity, and timing. it doesnt contain any information about what instrument is involved. so you can take the exact same midi input or midi file and have it be played by all kinds of different software instruments

audacity just records raw audio.

most DAWs have the options to record raw audio and have various software plugins that are midi instruments

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Where does one find likeminded musicians in their area without knowing anybody? I moved to Seattle a year ago and have the itch. There's a subreddit for area musicians but it seems pretty small and slow-moving.

- go to smallish local shows. more often than not you'll meet other musicians in the audience, such as the members of the bands on the bill who are not currently onstage at that particular time. talk with them. also, take good pics of the bands playing that they will appreciate, and tag them on ig. if your own account makes it obvious that you too are a musician, usually theyll follow back and you can start talking

- there's an app called "vampr" thats supposed to be a matchmaking app for musicians. ive tried in LA with mixed, not great results. was invited to audition for a band out in the burbs but they were too far away and i had some rough poo poo going on in my life at the time and had to back out anyway. so i only just started with it, but im about to dive back into it.

- dating apps are actually a pretty good way to meet musicians, apparently? i'm newly single and just starting to explore them for the first time, but like the first person i connected with on tinder is a great musician and we've been texting back and forth about music every day since we met. and the app "bumble" has a non-dating mode thats specifically just for meeting other people to collaborate or be friends with.

- talk to musicians you know back wherever you came from and ask them who they know where you live.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i know im a lazy poo poo but honestly, for most purposes, i'd just grab it directly from the intro to sledgehammer and stick it in any contemporary sampler

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

im not sure which of the many megathreads is right for this question so im putting it here

i have a longrunning touring live theatre gig performing a live soundtrack to a fictional story from a podcast. so basically one or two actors and me on stage doing background music

i have used the same basic setup for about ten years. a macbook running ableton live in which i have about 8 tracks going playing various loops that i fade in and out, controlled with an apc40, and then i play a live instrument - a keyboard or mandolin or both - on top of those tracks. if i use a keyboard it usually goes direct to the house, if i use a mandolin i usually run it through ableton for some effects, and then its just part of the laptop signal. i use an interface (scarlett 2i2) to connect the mandolin to the laptop, and the laptop to the house's di.

i would like to replace this setup. basically i would like to make it smaller, more mobile, and if possible maybe even useable for busking. i want to still be able to play keyboard or mandolin on top of backing tracks that i can fade in and out, or change the effects on them live. but i'd like to get rid of the laptop if i can. and i'd like to be able to do this in such a way where i can easily have the sound coming out of a bluetooth speaker or something, so the signal would be mandolin->(device playing loops)->bluetooth speaker, something i could easily set up in a public park and also ideally, everything fits in a backpack. even if i cant make a version of this setup that's portable enough for busking, i'd still love to get the laptop off the stage while essentially still performing in the same way

ive been kind of looking into the native instruments maschine line but not sure if thats quite appropriate? any advice would be appreciated! i also recently got a new-ish ipad (10th generation) and have barely explored the live music possibilites with it

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i just watched a couple push3 videos and it does look pretty great, especially the fact that you can transfer a set from a computer super fast with very little work. but its very expensive. ive also started looking at the akai force which is a bit more affordable, curious if anyone here has used one of those? in the past akai and ableton stuff played very well together, like the apc40 ive been using for years works with the daw seamlessly, but it dates from before ableton started making their own hardware, so i dont know if they started making other company's stuff more of a pain to use in consequence now that they are in direct competition

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

E mixolydian (as an example because that's the tune I'm working on) is still E for the purposes of what chords to play, but it's played with the notes of the D scale? What about the G#/Ab in the E chord, isn't that going to sound bad?

E mixolydian has the same exact notes as an A major, but starting with E instead of A. it's also almost the same as the E major scale, except that the seventh note is flat (a half step down).

I don't think a G#/Ab sounds unpleasant in the context of E, its just the third in the E major scale. and if you play a G#/Ab on top of A, it can sound dissonent, but not necessarily, that depends on the phrasing and overall musical context, it can be used to create a small amount of tension that you can then resolve for example

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i believe the reason they have those names has to do with their use in religious music (they are also called "church modes") that originated in the greek regions in question and became widespread after rome became christian and thus they were incorporated as a foundational element of western music theory, which tends to go back to medieval church music in its origins

these days its just kind of a shorthand really

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have two standard keyboard sustain pedals made by On Stage Gear

i dont remember exactly when or where i bought either of them, but it was at different times from different places

a few weeks ago they both stopped working, pretty much at the same time

at first they were just kind of spotty, then stopped working all together, ive tried them in several different keyboards and with both onboard sounds and using the keyboard as a controller, its basically like the keyboards just no longer recognize input from either one

what are the odds of that happening to both at the same time? could there be some other factor? its weird

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea ok im going to do what my dad would do and take it apart. or i guess both of them at the same time just to see whats going on.

i saw a few tutorials on youtube, but none for this particular type of pedal.

im working on some other stuff right now and have a deadline so i will probably get to the pedal tomorrow but i will post pics of my progress or lack thereof

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my current home recording setup:

instruments > focusrite 2i2 > macbook

the 2i2 is connected to a behringer eq with two 1/4 inch trs cables. the eq is connected to a pair of jbl monitors with two xlr cables. the focusrite is a 3rd gen and connected to the macbook via usbc.

the problem: starting about a month ago, i've been getting a very irritating and constant interference on the right speaker. the interference seems to be coming from the laptop, i.e. there is more noise whenever the computer is running a difficult task. this noise is exclusively in the right speaker, never the left.

i have tried switching out the xlr cables and trs cables and that makes no difference, so it's not a bad cable. also, if i switch the right and left trs cables from the interface, the noise still comes out of the right speaker.

any thoughts on the likely culprit? what should i try next?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 7, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

One of the most useful no nonsense apps “Tap Tempo” is no longer available on iOS. Does anyone know what happened? Does anyone here use something else for getting BPM by tapping?

yea this basic metronome/tuner has tap tempo

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/smart-metronome-tuner/id889571826

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Flipperwaldt posted:

Also, if your end game is a human readable score, the tools for that in most daws are pretty crappy.

i agree with this for the most part except logic. im mainly an ableton and audition guy and do 95% of my work in those two daw's, but i have successfully used logic on multiple occasions for the specific task of converting midi parts into human readable parts.

i'm a very improvisational sort of composer and not at all a theory guy, when i try to think about that stuff its like dusting off old parts of my brain. so the first time i did it i took a look at the parts i'd printed and thought "hmm.. i dunno." but when i handed the parts to the string trio i'd hired, they played exactly what i'd written and it sounded great. so that's how i've been doing it for years, just composing stuff in ableton and occasionally importing stuff into logic and using the notation tool to print out parts for people. it's not exactly the most professional approach and every once in a while some minor corrections are needed but mostly.. its pretty solid.