Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Does anyone have a recommendation for good free software for writing music in standard notation? It doesn't have to play anything (although I won't complain if it does), just let me notate it. This isn't for guitar, I already have Power Tab, I just want to make standard notation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Richard M Nixon posted:

I don't want to make a brand new thread about this just yet, so let me check here first. I am beginning (literally, beginning today) to learn the violin, and I don't see a single violin topic on the 7 pages of the forum. Is there a thread somewhere on getting started? Can anyone recommend a good DIY approach to learning how to play? I don't even know how to read music, so I'm going to see how far I get before ragequitting.

You probably don't want to hear it, but you need a teacher. The violin in particular is very difficult to learn, and if you don't have someone who knows what they're doing to critique your technique it'll cause endless frustration. Bad technique is insidious on any instrument - it might be fine for the songs you are playing at first, but once you start playing something more advanced it can really limit you. And then it's a habit that you need to break in order to improve. It's much better to have someone there to point out what you're doing before it becomes an ingrained habit. You'll learn much faster with much less frustration.

Good luck, I just started during the fall and I really enjoy it.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
So I just bought new strings for my violin, and after a week I break the D string. I can't find a place in town that sells individual strings, and D'Addario's website doesn't ship to Canada. Is there some sort of online retailer that would sell me Helicore's that does ship to Canada?