Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Wikipedia posted:

The remaining five notes of the chromatic scale (the black keys on a piano keyboard) were added gradually; the first being B which was flattened in certain modes to avoid the dissonant tritone interval. This change was not always shown in notation, but when written, B♭ (B-flat) was written as a Latin, round "b", and B♮ (B-natural) a Gothic b. These evolved into the modern flat and natural symbols respectively. The sharp symbol arose from a barred b, called the "cancelled b".

In parts of Europe, including Germany, Poland and Russia, the natural symbol transformed into the letter H: in German music notation, H is B♮ (B-natural) and B is B♭ (B-flat).

That's the way I've always heard it - it evolved from the way the letter b was written, and along with it came the symbols for accidentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Kramden posted:

Where can I get a noise maker, either controllable by guitar or buttons or whatever?

And I don't want it all digital sounds. Just kind of like reverb and feedback and screeching and thumps and bumps and stuff.

I used to have one when I used this program Super Collider, but I don't use it anymore.

You can get noise makers at General Store in your City Market District.

If you want manual control, General Store now has noise makers which operate by pushing, wildmoving or lungblowing. Screeching and reverb are standard but thumps and bumps are usually included in a separate package along with whizzes and hoots.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Kramden posted:

Perhaps I should explain myself better -

I want a box where I can dial in all different kinds of wave forms at various frequencies, have white noise, and filters and modulators, and lots of cool stuff, all controllable at my finger tips.

So, I guess it is less like a noise box, and more like a sound box. For like drones and abrasive sounds and stuff like that.

I don't know how better to describe it, but if you have used Super Collider, you should know what I mean.
A box that allows you to create a waveform and control its fundamental frequency as well as timbral content, filters and modulation: a synthesizer.

Or you could use Reason (or any number of synth/sampling programs) to dial in whatever sound you can imagine, and control it externally via MIDI.

...Or if you're feeling a bit more obscure, you could buy or build an oscillator and run it through a bunch of effects.

...Or if you are a glutton for punishment, you could learn Csound and code your own sounds. But since you're saying you don't want to use SuperCollider, I guess you're not interested in more audio synthesis languages.

Hope this is the direction you're looking for.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Can someone recommend a good tutorial on how to equalise tracks for a total beginner? I want to understand why all my recordings sound like muddy poo poo.
I don't know of any tutorials from step one to finish, but here is an article that outlines the concept most people struggle with when battling muddy mixes - complementary eq.

Along with that, something like this will help you get a feel for what is where in the audio frequency spectrum, but beware. Do NOT use it as a hard-and-fast rule, just use this to help you get familiar with what's where, and internalize that familiarity. You can find plenty of eq "recipe books" that say what to cut/boost for a given sound, but be careful to use them as only general guides, and use your ears as the authority.

Other tips: with eq, always cut before boost. Cut frequencies you don't want instead of simply boosting the ones you do want. If you go through your tracks putting in a bunch of eq peaks, boosting the stuff you want, your mix will get out of control very fast. Cut first, then adjust the volume of the tracks accordingly.

These are tips that assume you know how to generally use an eq, though. I don't have any links if you're trying to learn the absolute basics, sorry.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

SlippyHat posted:

Try panning the different instruments so that they occupy the space a little differently -- and think about three dimensional space, as well. Reverb and echo can move a sound forward and back in the mix, and will add depth. After that you can apply the EQ that bluestrat was talking about.

SlippyHat's got a lot of good advice for you, and I agree with it except for this last sentence.

If you are going for clarity, eq everything first, before panning and before adding much reverb or echo effects. Try to carve out the raw tracks, in mono, until they all complement each other and balance nicely. That's the best way to know what's REALLY fighting with whatever else. Then after you've got a balanced mono mix, do your panning and add your reverb effects for 3D depth and space.

You don't have to do all your mixes with this method, but this is how you learn to get clarity/balance. If you start mixing by adding reverb and panning stuff you're burying (and making it harder to address) your real problem, which is eq. Address eq first and your mix will behave a lot better when you do the fun depth/space stuff.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm fixing to buy a set of studio monitors (loving finally), and I'm not sure on how to go about using them as normal speakers. I want to run my computer's output, interface's output, a metronome, and maybe an iPod or something through them. Is a line mixer (particularly this one) the way to go for something like this?

e: dumbquestion snoipe

These might be more what you're looking for?

I have a Samson C-control for that purpose and it does a great job for the price.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Can anyone identify the percussive chime-like/woodblock instruments in this track? I think there's a few kinds in there... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPPsrcYl4Qo

I'm hearing a few different mbiras (also called kalimbas or thumb pianos) of different sizes. You can hear that some have buzzing elements on em ("machachara," according to the wiki page).

Here's a very peaceful example of mbira music

They are also very easy and fun to make.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Cumhand Luke posted:

What instrument produces the melodies on The Birthday Party song "Mr Clarinet" ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmSULZZUgLc

It's first heard about 30 seconds in and also occurs in the chorus. Most of their songs just have guitar but it sound almost like a distorted melodica. Could just be synth though.
I'm hearing something like one of the tones of a Farfisa organ like this, maybe distorted/dirtied up a bit. I wish I knew the name of that particular organ sound, it's probably not exclusive to the Farfisa.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Scottish Uncle posted:

It feels like there is something wrong with my lead playing.

Is is just me or if it isn't could you give me harsh criticism so I can fix it whilst crying

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0zD6NmirX3U

Something's wrong. Number one thing is rhythm, it totally falls apart as soon as you start your "soloing." Try 1) tapping your foot or moving/dancing/whatever to keep your internal clock solid, and 2) playing shorter melodic phrases that are more rhythmically clear/distinct.

You're playing unaccompanied, so it's a bit trickier to maintain the thrust of what's going on harmonically and rhythmically while still "soloing," but it's entirely possible. Right now your solo sounds disembodied from the (more important) rhythmic/harmonic core, because you're not playing bass notes or anything to suggest it.

A simple technique to improve this performance would be to do a sort of call-and-response with yourself: comp on the first chord, play a short lick/phrase, comp on the second chord, play another phrase in response to the last. Build outward from that idea. This helps the audience (and you) keep a clear idea where the musical core is, rather than just hearing some kind of disembodied solo.

Lastly, even if there was a band backing up your solo, it's a bit noodly and a little boring. Take your very first phrase - that little upward pentatonic movement is something way too many guitarists do, because it's easy - you're following your fingers instead of your ears. Try to think of more tasteful, short phrases; for example, think of what a laid-back trumpeter would do on top of these chords. Your chords/rhythm suggest something more Latin-inspired or jazzy, but it's not here - your choice in notes doesn't seem "deliberate," it seems kinda like auto-pilot.

So take your time and be more deliberate, more melodic, more patient, laid-back, focus on tasteful phrasing rather than following where your fingers go. I hope this isn't too harsh, I just have done a lot of unaccompanied playing so I feel like I've spent some time addressing these issues in my own playing. Hope it helps!

heap
Jan 27, 2004

wormil posted:

I'm involved with a school project where I help a junior high kid build a wood xylophone. He has the idea to hang blocks vertically from one attachment point, like a cross between xylophone and chimes. Ultimately he gets to make the decision but I'm supposed to provide guidance and my knowledge of xylophones is limited. Hoping you guys have some thoughts about it or on making xylophones in general.

My idea was to go by these plans:
http://www.makingmusicfun.net/htm/f_mmf_music_library/build-your-own-orff-xylophone-step-by-step-woodworking-plans.htm
I'm definitely not a pro, but I've built a vertical "xylophone" with bamboo (which doesn't behave quite the same as solid wood blocks). My main concerns would be:

1) making sure the mounting system uses the right nodal points of each bar so that they're suspended without obstructing the bar's natural resonance. Experiment with suspending a single bar and making sure it still resonates well before commiting to the whole approach.

2) the bars have to be suspended from the top and the bottom, or stabilized in some other way, or else they will flap around and hit each other and be annoying to play.

Those were my main hurdles when working on mine, which may or may not be helpful. Sounds fun though, good luck!

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Chroisman posted:

So I previously asked a question about studio headphones, requiring flat response and minimal sound bleed for acoustic and vocal recording. In this thread and another, people were happy to recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770s, which I really appreciate.

I did however also ask some other people at Headphonic for recommendations, and they recommended the Beyerdynamic DT250-80 ohms. Does anyone know anything about these and how they stack up to the DT770s?

I can't compare them to the DT770s (not enough experience with em) but I LOVE my DT250-80s. I've had one pair for 7 years and enjoyed it so much I bought another, even though my old pair is still going strong.

Before getting into sound quality comparisons, I've spent a lot of time with various AKGs and Sennheisers, and the Beyers are the only ones I am happy to wear for long, long periods. They don't have that vinyl stuff pressing up on my head, they don't make my ears too hot, and they cup around my ears perfectly without being awkward. Comfort is super subjective, I know, but they're perfect for me. I like the curly telephone cord too.

Sound quality-wise, I find them well-balanced and detailed, if slightly on the dark side. Before I bought my second pair, I tried A/B comparisons with some comparable Sennheisers and felt like the Beyers had a more "depth," a more immersive/lifelike representation of things, a crispness that wasn't unnaturally crisp, just detailed. Others will probably give you a better or more prominent bass response, but I've never found it lacking for my purposes.

They have the typical pros/cons of closed-back phones, which I'm sure you've researched. Great for tracking due to low bleed but equally due to their comfort during long sessions.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've been spending too much time F5ing Craiglist to find a decent deal on one of several models of used synthesizer I'm shopping for. Is www.list-alert.com reputable or no? That or any other way I can set up a search which will just alert me as things are added to certain cities' Craigslists?
I don't know anything about that website, but if you have an iphone (or other smartphone, I guess) there are a bunch of apps for Craigslist and some of them have the option to set up alerts.

Plus, I prefer browsing Craigslist that way because it's easier to scan through a bunch of pictures instead of line after line of text listings that may or may not be descriptive.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Sorbo Shirtless posted:

Both of the long cables are the same cable. Not sure if they're mono or stereo. They also both individually work.

By mono or stereo, he was referring to whether they're TS or TRS cables:

TS is typical for guitar cables, TRS is capable of carrying stereo signals and they're a little unusual to be used as guitar cables.

If you've got TRS cables, there's a possibility that your pedal doesn't like them. That'd be my guess, but someone else probably knows more about this.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

beatlegs posted:

So is "stem" a new term for "multitrack", or is it something different?
No, it's something different. The term "stem" refers to a premixed subgroup, where related tracks are composited into a single stereo or mono track. For example, all your drum tracks bussed together and then bounced to one stereo file - that's your drum stem. You might do the same for your background vox, string section, whatever.

The term is often used when another person is going to make a new mix from your material - situations like film mixing, or someone doing a remix of your song, etc. You won't give them each and every individual track, you'd give them a handful of stems (drums, guitars, keys, etc) and they'd construct the mix as they like.

I don't think it's very common, but some mastering engineers do stem mastering if they want extra control over the individual components of a mix.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

BRAAAAAAAINS posted:

I browsed the Musician's Lounge, but found no classical music (mega)thread? Do we just have very few classical musicians here? Did I miss it (I double checked, but I'm easily distracted)? ..or is there some other reason?
I don't think ML has one at the moment.

You could make a thread, though! Classical musicians seem to be relatively few/quiet around here but maybe some would come out of the woodwork. I mean, we had a classical guitar thread that had a lot of repertoire discussion, if I remember correctly.

I think a lot of the general discussion threads around here tend to be centered around instruments/gear and not genres, though there are exceptions.

heap
Jan 27, 2004

salisbury shake posted:

Any of you gently caress around with cSound or SuperCollider? I had fun playing with Tidal, but its a pattern engine with limited predefined samples for composition. While its interesting to write functions to pass samples through to get new distinct sounds to string together, its not a synthesis library.

I program computers/write lovely code and have a math background, but literally no music education. The books I'm finding are geared towards musicians who want to learn to program via algorithmic composition, but the reverse of that is hard to find.

I want to make sounds in the spergiest way possible, hjelp me get started please.

I've never messed with SuperCollider, but for what it's worth I took some CSound courses in college and ultimately I found it hard to enjoy, both as a programming experience and a way to make music.

I'm a musician who enjoys programming, but CSound involved too many idiosyncrasies and unintuitive quirks of the language for me to really enjoy it. The language felt old and outdated to me. With that warning aside...

In my opinion, CSound is best suited to making ambient music/soundscapes or generating one-off sound designs. You'll learn a lot about synthesis and sound-manipulation on the microscopic level but nothing about music theory/composition. For example, it doesn't do any out-of-the-box handholding in terms of musical notes (you're working with frequencies, not musical notes).

So if you're not a musician, you might actually like that because CSound requires absolutely no knowledge of music. It's more about using code to tell the computer EXACTLY what to do with oscillators or samples over time. There are different front-ends/plugins/etc that supposedly make CSound more user-friendly but I never really used them, because the point of CSound is to code sounds, and if you want to make noise with a nice UI then open up Ableton and you'll have a much better time (and get things done much quicker).

If you do end up learning CSound, you can PM me if you need help (I don't remember much of it but I can probably help with the basics).

heap
Jan 27, 2004

salisbury shake posted:

What's the workflow like with Ableton for someone who knows what they're doing from using the synthesizer efficiently to sequencing MIDI events? Do you do it all graphically by hand, or is there a way to automate things with macros or scripts? Approaching it naively has probably given me the wrong idea about how it can be used.

Focusing on minutiae without a concept of how it fits with the bigger picture will become dissatisfying fast, as I'm going to want to use these sounds and instruments for something, so DAW usage is inevitable. Which segues to my next question:

Can you recommend material on music theory that would be relatable for someone with my background? Or just in general, idc. Videos, books, series of articles or interactive webshit are all okay in my book. Even better if they are somehow tied together with making computer music or using a computer to make music.

Well, I just mentioned Ableton as an example but I personally don't use Ableton, I use Reason for synths/samples and Reaper as my main DAW. You wouldn't like Reason if you don't like UIs that mimic hardware, since Reason does that in the extreme (for example, you control signal flow by moving virtual cables around to plug one unit up to another).

So I can't answer your Ableton workflow question. But I do think it's important to note that you might be talking about two different workflows: one is designing sounds, and the other is arranging when sounds happen and at what pitches, etc. I am curious to see if SuperCollider fits what you're looking for.

It might be a good idea to ask in the synthesizer thread, since I'm sure you can find folks who are into algorithmic sound creation. Also, if you haven't already, you might want to check out trackers since making music with them is based on inputting numbers/data into a grid. I've never used one though.

Lastly, I don't know of any good music theory or computer music resources for you, all I have is a bunch of textbooks and stuff and none of them were Fantastic Reads Worth Recommending. Sorry! I'm sure someone around here knows of some good resources, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heap
Jan 27, 2004

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Hey y'all, I'm looking for a quick answer--hopefully I'll find one here.

I am looking for a web site service that allows a musician to upload their songs to multiple streaming services at once (Spotify, Beats, etc). The musician wants to make money from his music, so the service should allow him to earn the commissions from the plays of these songs.

Does such a service exist? If so, can you link me to it please?

Many thanks.
If you google "digital distribution" you'll find a bunch of services like CDbaby, Tunecore, Reverbnation, etc. These services usually include several streaming sites in addition to putting your music on iTunes/other stores. Be sure to look at the list of networks they distribute your music to, as well as the upfront costs and their cut of the money.

Also, I don't want to be discouraging but most people don't realize how bad streaming revenues are. Check out this chart, you need 4 million Spotify plays a month just to make minimum wage. It's sad. Again, not trying to shoot you down, I just wanna be upfront because none of those sites like to tell you how small the artist's cut is.