Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

I just started up in a band that consists of a guitarist, a bassist, a keyboardist and a drummer, for now we're just working on some rock and funk covers. We have a 80W Squier 4 PA system that we hook up two mics and the keys to. The mics are a Sennheiser e815s and the other one is, from what I can tell, a TEAC TM 77. I can't find anything about TEAC mics online, although it seems like it might be a pretty old mic and the company TEAC has since become TASCAM. Anyway, it's often pretty hard to hear the vocals over the rest of the instruments, and the mics feedback when we turn them up too loud. Is 80W enough in a PA to produce sufficiently loud but clear vocals? Or is it that those mics just aren't cutting it? I think my dad might have some SM57s or 58s kicking around somewhere, so I'll have to get those over winter break. But yeah, is it the PA or the mics that are more important in getting vocals loud enough but not muddy? Also, are the mics feeding back just because they're turned up too high or could the spatial arrangement of the mics and the speakers have an effect? If so, could guitar/bass amps affect mic feedback too, or not?

Sorry for the beginner questions; I've played guitar and bass for a decent amount of time, but have never really delved into the details when it comes to live sound. Thanks!
I'd say both the PA and mic are important for the sound. Don't know about that 80W mixer; my band has a 120W (I think), and the vocals are clear in the mix, but not super loud. Depends on the speakers too. You could try EQ'ing the vocals differently to see if that cuts down on the feedback. Also, an obvious, but effective solution is for the other guys in the band to turn down (and for the drummer to play softer). This is often a good thing anyway.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

I'm not feeling curious enough to break out my high level google fu on this but I know we have some major ehx fans here; does anyone know if the foot controller for the 2880 would work with the HOG (or any other ehx unit) by any chance?
I'm thinking about getting some kind of midi foot controller for the 2880 since the firmware upgrade makes that look really attractive and was wondering if that (possibly at some point to be-spare) piece of kit would still have any use ?
I've never heard about this being possible, and I've been reading some forums with a lot of EHX-fanboys. The set of parameters being controlled is pretty different on the two pedals. Also, it's my impression that EHX is a pretty decent company, and if the foot controller was the same for both pedals, they'd probably be clear about that.

Pannus fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

This is stretching it. They're not the fishiest fx company ever but they def want to make a buck and their descriptions of their effects are often high on flowery prose and low on useful details

Well yeah, most companies are primarily about making money. But I don't think it would serve them in the long run if it was discovered they sold two pedals that are the excact same product just with a different paintjob. But then again, who knows.

I can take a look inside my HOG FC when I get home from work and see if I can find any gut shots of the 2880 FC to compare.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

I'll find the camera again and disassemble my 2880 foot controller to compare :)

Edit: ok, the "reverse," "feedback," "record" etc labeling on the PCB makes it looks like some kinda multipurpose thing after all...

Pannus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 15, 2009

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

It's also worth adding that there's money to save by getting Finale notepad or whattever it's called instead of the full version. I've only used the full version, but my sister used the cheaper one for her college music classes, and it's supposed to be good too.

If you're just gonna use it to write down scores and don't need a lot of fancy options, you should get something cheap and simple.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Green Puddin posted:

Saving for a sax, but in the mean time I want to get my music juices flowing, and lately I've been really getting into harmonicas, they seem pretty god drat blues all around and so I'm wondering, as someone who is beginning with that instrument, should I go with B or C? B seems to be the all around blues harp but some people have said they've had to start with C then take it to B...

All harmonicas play the same, they're just tuned to different keys (unless it's one of those chromatic ones).

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

There's nothing wrong with combining different dirt pedals (or amp and pedal dirt for that matter), just experiment until you get a tone you like.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

CalvinDooglas posted:

Do I need the Line 6 brand power supply to run a Line 6 FM4 Filter modeler? I'd like it if I could just plug it in my OneSpot. And is that pedal going to sound good live?

The Line6 stompbox modelers need 9V AC, but according to the Line6 website, they can also run on 12V DC. AFAIK, the OneSpot can only output 9V DC, so it will probably not work anyway. You don't need a Line6 power supply, though, just get a cheap one with the right specs from radio shack or whatever.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

CalvinDooglas posted:

hopefully the guy I'm getting it from has the power supply and pedal, it's just part of a sale/trade so I can pay some bills. I'm not even sure it's a pedal I want in my rig, but I'll give it a shot. I can probably sell it for more than it's costing right now.

has anyone used the FM4, is it any good? I just can't see using more than one or two of those effects.

Yeah, that's the fun part with buying/trading used pedals, you're not really risking anything, because you can almost always resell them with little to no loss. I've only played the FM4 briefly in a shop, but I really liked it (then again, I'm a big fan of filter effects). Definitely fun to play around with, but whether or not I'd be able to use most of the effects in a musical context is a different question...

legsarerequired posted:

What happened to the ukulele thread from a while back?
I've noticed there's a ukulele thread in Ask/Tell, maybe that's the one you're thinking about?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

I have a few questions that you folks may be able to help me with. I'm looking first of all for a good method of drastically increasing sustain. Is there any pedal out there that simply creates a sustain effect without otherwise altering the guitar sound? This seems illogical to me, but it could be possible, just I haven't heard of it yet. Also, I'll be able to afford the Moog E1 by late fall, but it would be cool to have a pedal in the meantime.
Second question: I need a cheap half stack. I had to let go of my Orange half stack awhile ago :( Well, now I have this job with a band that can actually afford to pay me, so I'm going to need my own rig again. I don't want to spend a lot on something that may not be a recoupable expenditure, so...cheap is the key. Any help on what's both cheap and decent would be appreciated. The price range I'm looking at is less than $700.
I'll save the third question for later.

A compressor may give you some extra sustain, but it will alter the sound to a certain extent. An eBow will give you infinite sustain, but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

whereismyshoe posted:

So, i've got a Sterling JP50 (beater alternative to my music man axis) with a floating bridge, and i'd like to change tunings on it every once in a while - but as i've discovered floating bridges are a BITCH to detune. can i solve this by buying higher gauged strings to keep the tension up and keep the bridge level? is there a rule of # of steps down = # of gauges up or something?

You'll have to adjust the spring tension anyway, but increasing the string gauge will probably make it easier. If you like to use different tunings, a floating bridge isn't a very good idea. Either block the bridge (if you don't use it to bend up), or consider getting an additional guitar with a fixed bridge...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Archituethis posted:

I'm looking to buy a recording interface. Right now I use an SM58 and a Line6 UX2. I don't really like the UX2 though. I want to find something a little simpler that doesn't force me to use a lovely program with lovely effects.

I don't have any recommendations for you, but I'd just like to point out that it's possible with the UX2 to bypass the lovely program with its lovely effect and run the signal through a different plug-in.