Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I just started up in a band that consists of a guitarist, a bassist, a keyboardist and a drummer, for now we're just working on some rock and funk covers. We have a 80W Squier 4 PA system that we hook up two mics and the keys to. The mics are a Sennheiser e815s and the other one is, from what I can tell, a TEAC TM 77. I can't find anything about TEAC mics online, although it seems like it might be a pretty old mic and the company TEAC has since become TASCAM. Anyway, it's often pretty hard to hear the vocals over the rest of the instruments, and the mics feedback when we turn them up too loud. Is 80W enough in a PA to produce sufficiently loud but clear vocals? Or is it that those mics just aren't cutting it? I think my dad might have some SM57s or 58s kicking around somewhere, so I'll have to get those over winter break. But yeah, is it the PA or the mics that are more important in getting vocals loud enough but not muddy? Also, are the mics feeding back just because they're turned up too high or could the spatial arrangement of the mics and the speakers have an effect? If so, could guitar/bass amps affect mic feedback too, or not?

Sorry for the beginner questions; I've played guitar and bass for a decent amount of time, but have never really delved into the details when it comes to live sound. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Recently I've been playing my dad's US Vintage Series Strat, and I decided to restring it. After restringing my friend noticed that the bridge looked like it was raised a little bit more than usual off of the body. I honestly didn't know if it was or not, but I decided to check out the tremolo spring tension in the back anyway. One of the manuals I downloaded off of Fender's site said that the tremolo block should be 3/16" away from the body wall, so I measured and that's how far it was. I'm thinking that maybe the bridge has always been raised as much as it is now, but it just struck my friend as odd because he'd never really noticed until new strings were put on.

Does that look "unusual" for a Strat Vintage tremolo bridge? Thanks for any help.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

OK, I'm not really sure if this is the best place for this question, but here goes...

The more and more I read about and play music the more I realize how important the mix is in determining whether or not a band sounds good. However, I have very little understanding of "what" the mix really is, or how to properly mix. I mean, I understand that you don't want every instrument in the same frequency range because then you'll get a muddy sound with no clarity between instruments. So, for example, my band consists of a guitarist, bassist, drummer, keyboardist and singer. When we set up our mix for a live show, does that basically consist of changing the EQs of our respective amps so that there's little overlap between which frequencies are being boosted/cut? Is the same process/theory used when recording, or is that mixing in a different sense? I feel like this is something fundamental to getting a good sound that I just know embarrassingly little about.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I posted this in the 'Best Entry Level Audio Interface' thread, but I guess I'm more likely to get an answer if I try here too:

Can anyone tell me about the MOTU 828 MkI? Some guy near me is selling one for $200, which seems like a great deal, but I can't really find much information about the interface; most of what's out there seems to be on the MkII and MkIII. From what I've gathered MOTU stuff is pretty good, but if anyone has any more info I'd love to hear it.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I'm thinking about getting an interface that's bundled with Ableton Live Lite 7. While checking out the Ableton site, I've only found info about upgrading from Live LE or Live Intro, but not from Live Lite. Is it possible to upgrade from Live Lite 7? And would I be able to upgrade to Live 8 or only Live 7?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

OK, so I just got a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB audio interface, and it came with Ableton Live Lite 8, which I'm trying to configure. I installed the Saffire drivers from the CD that came with it, and also went to their software support page to get any driver updates, which I also installed. I then plugged in the interface, opened Live, went to preferences and tried to configure it as my audio input source. However, under the "Driver Type" dropdown, the only options are CoreAudio and No Audio, and I've been led to believe that I should be seeing an ASIO option for my Saffire. Basically, I have no way of selecting the Saffire as my actual input/output source, and I'm not really sure why. Doubly strange is that in the "Midi Sync" tab of Live preferences, it seems that the MIDI ports of the Saffire have been recognized. What gives here, why can't I get my Saffire as my input/output source? I'm sorry, this is probably the most basic question but I just feel so helpless already. :ohdear: Thanks in advance for any help!

edit: this problem has seemed to resolve itself, hopefully all is good!

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 25, 2010

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but... how do I EQ programmed drums? If I were to record an actual kit, I would have a number of different mics for different drums and cymbals that I could EQ and balance individually. So each drum or cymbal is basically its own track. But, at least as far as I can tell, when I program drums, the whole kit is on one track, so any EQ or balance changes wouldn't be applied to individual drums, but to the kit itself. Is there a simpler solution than programming each drum individually as its own track? Can you change the EQ/balance of an individual drum or cymbal within the programmable kit? Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance for any help!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I'm putting together a little amateur home recording studio, and would like to incorporate electric guitar (which means I need to buy an electric guitar). I hope that I can eventually turn this into more than a hobby, but realistically, I'm probably not going to have a ton of time for it and, as such, want to walk a pretty fine line between cost and quality.

Looking for feedback on the best way to walk this line. My current thinking is to get whatever electric guitar I want (will probably troll CL for MIM Strats or maybe a Tele if I'm feeling saucy), and pair it with AmpliTube. This saves me from having to buy an amp, which will obviously be a tradeoff in tone, but my impression is that AmpliTube has some pretty good modeling and is probably sufficient for what I'm after. I'll probably mostly play with a pretty clean tone, maybe some light distortion/fuzz and other effects like reverb, delay, etc.

Questions:

1) is my assumption about AmpliTube being 'good enough' correct? I don't need it to sound incredible, but I don't want it to sound majorly cheesy either. For reference, I've made some tracks using the pre-built drum kits in Ableton and these leave plenty to be desired, but are pretty much good enough for my purposes. I'm hoping AmpliTube will be comparably 'not great, but good enough', maybe getting a bit closer to 'great' than Ableton's presets for analog instruments

2) if I do go forward with amp modeling as opposed to recording a real amp, are there any implications for what guitar I should buy? Or put another way, is there any reason (related to sound/tone) to choose a different guitar for amp modeling than I would if I were going to use a real amp?

Thanks in advance for any insight, ML!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

super helpful stuff

Thanks a million! That's what I was hoping I'd hear.

I've got a Macbook Pro, and back when I first got into home recording a couple years ago, I upgraded to 4GB of RAM. Hopefully it won't be bad, but maybe you'll hear from me again in a few weeks with a latency question!