Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

The Cleaner posted:

Ok so exactly what is "wall of sound"?

-"The guitarist of Staind utilizes a wall-of-sound for the guitar on all their albums"
-"Trent Reznor is always producing everything in a wall of sound"
and so on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_of_Sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Tigernamus posted:

What makes a good musician? :(

listen to a lot of music and be an opinionated control freak

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Is this guitar wiring layout overkill or even possible?

split-coil neck / tele bridge

master volume pot w/push-pull series/parallel switch (for both pickups or maybe just the split-coil?)
tone pot w/push-pull phase switch
blend pot w/center detent

3-way pickup selector switch

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

CalvinDooglas posted:

are you actually going to use all those tones? Messing with switches and knobs can be kind of a liability when you're playing.

The push-pull stuff will not be touched during actual playing live I'd imagine; the guitar will mostly be used in a studio in any event.

I've had a guitar with phase switching forever (Fender Lead II), and I've found a use from time to time for the out-of-phase sound. Since these two pickups are not as similar as the pickups on the Lead II, and I'll have a way to control individual output with the blend, the out-of-phase won't thin out the sound quite as much, and might result in a totally unique tone (that's the plan, anyway).

The parallel / series thing, after I spoke with Lindy Fralin about it, sounds like it's going to be hit-or-miss, with the series output spiking at like 15 or 16k (rather than the 8-9k in the normal parallel configuration). But I'm willing to see how it turns out and it might sound pretty awesome. At the very worst, pots are cheap.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

schlieren, with just two pickups i dont see why you'd need the pickup selector and the blend pot, have you considered 2 independent volumes and a pickup selector?

Here, it does come down to ease of playing if it gets used live: I'd like all the random functionality tucked away neatly behind push / pull pots and only available with deliberate action, with one simple volume knob and one simple tone knob; with a detent on the blend pot at the 50/50 mark, it'd be really easy to keep tones consistent.

quote:

also what kind of guitar are you doing this on? i doubt you'll be able to do it on a standard tele because it'll require a decently sized control cavity.

It's going on a rear-routed Warmoth Tele body with strat knob configuration, it should have plenty of room but thanks for bringing this to mind for me.

quote:

also if you've got a split coil you might do better to use an on/off/on switch instead of a pickup selector to invert its coils' phase :)

push / pull for the phase (volume pot), push / pull for series / parallel (tone pot), blend w/detent (they don't make one of these push / pull), pickup selector for pickups ;)

So it'll function like a normal Tele until you fiddle with one of the things which normally wouldn't be on a standard Tele.

In any event thanks for being a sounding board, I'm going to throw the kitchen sink at this thing since I'm already sinking at least $3000 into it :gonk:

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Forkboy posted:

The cables are getting tied to the desk posts, so they'll be out of the way and reasonably pull-proof. I'm just worried about her pulling the monitor stand over.

Assuming this is the bottom floor with cement underlayment, and you have a carpeted room, I'd recommend a rotary hammer (rented from United Rental mayhap or any local vendor), an appropriately sized masonry bit, a ratchet, and appropriately-sized LDTs. Drill holes into base of monitor stands, position monitor stands, mark spots to drill through the carpet and into the cement. Use rotary hammer to drill holes into cement beneath (you might use 2 bits for eight holes, but probably one will work just fine), use the depth rod to drill an appropriate depth, then take the LDTs and fasten the bases of the monitor stands through to the cement.

Those babies won't go anywhere, and they are completely removable, and if you have a carpeted floor, the carpet will "self-repair" and nobody will know there are holes in the cement! Alternatively, you could fill the holes with epoxy if you move the monitors somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Mandals posted:

I've been dropping a limiter on my tracks in Ableton (or using the limiter preset for the built-in compressor) and it works pretty good at keeping me out of clipping territory.

You know what else works pretty good? Not clipping at the source. I'd say that works "best"