Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm recording a guitar direct from my Fast Track Pro, I'm not really good at this -- but how loud should I typically be recording (dB-wise) when clean before running it through compression and effects? Right now I have a feeling that it is way too quiet (before effects).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How can I get this breathy/airy trumpet sound? (or is it a sax?) Any VSTs that have good samples that mimic this sound? I can get close by putting heavy reverb on some HALion samples but it just doesn't have that attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l4cMUOBXN0#t=3m00s

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the service manual for the Ibanez HD 1000 ?

Or a link to where I could find it online for free or very cheap ($25 for a service manual for a $50 unit is not very cheap)

http://www.daisybelle.nl/ibanez_hd1000_manual%20_1983_.pdf :cheers:

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm biting the bullet with this question because I feel so dumb asking it. I'm decent with playing a guitar and purposes of recording but I never really got the basic understandings of it. I just learned songs. Two problems because this situation is getting to me:

1. My acoustic (basic $200 Alvarez thing) buzzes way too much when some strings are plucked (mostly the lowest 2 strings). Also, the sound is really bad even when things are tuned. There's no "life" to the thing anymore; it sounded fine when I got it new. Everything's in tune and the strings aren't that old on it. Any ideas?

2. I decided to re-string my Epiphone Dot for the first time since I got it from a pawn shop. Everything was fine with it prior to re-stringing it. In my infinite wisdom, I messed with the bridge height and now the strings hit the 1st pickup when playing above the 12th fret. I tried fixing it by heightening the bridge, but it still hits. Also, there's a huge gap on the strings from the board when playing above the 12th, to the point it's really hard to accurate finger the strings down. I never messed with the truss rod on the thing, unless it was messed with by the previous owner.

If I do decide to take the electric to a shop, how much am I expecting them to give it a glance over and a fix (I highly doubt it's anything serious)?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Are you monitoring it? It should still record though, even if you can't hear it on the monitor.

Sometimes on my older versions of Cubase (SX3), my old project's buses would be messed up for no reason.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

legsarerequired posted:

Which instrument would you recommend for a beginner who's learning to play music?

Everyone says guitar (or even banjo, recorder and ukulele), but I'd like to hear other suggestions that might be out there. This is a bit of selfish question, as I'm looking for an instrument that I could learn to play and maybe sing along with (I'm an alto, if that makes any difference).

Piano? I learned piano starting in middle school and learning guitar and bass were easy afterward and voice always goes with piano.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Popcorn posted:

1) Is there a way to write/draw automation stuff in Cubase like you can with Reason? I've been hitting 'write automation' and physically turning my knobs down, but there's got to be an easier/more reliable way to do it.

2) Does anyone know why Cubase stops reading my microphone when I open a VST instrument?

1) Pen tool and expand the lane? It's just like you'd expect it would.

2) Maybe it selects the VST/MIDI channel automatically, so you're not monitoring your audio vocal track.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
When you open a VST track, the program automatically switches to highlight that track, which is a MIDI track (so it can't input audio, MIDI is just data). If you highlight your vocal or audio track and hit the little speaker icon, it'll monitor the microphone input again.

What version are you using?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's not like you can't buy the standard Korg tuner that's like $10.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Popcorn posted:

What is the advantage of using a physical mixer over virtual ones?

Also, I need someone to fix my Cubase problem before I DIE OF FRUSTRATION

Is your audio working outside of Cubase? Switch up on the ASIO driver in the Device Audio>VST Audio Setting, maybe.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Man, I must say I never had any of those problems with Cubase itself and I've been using since the VST 5 days.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

I'm thinking about doing something drastic. By drastic, I mean convert my Dad's entire CD collection to digital format. I'd prefer some loss-less format that isn't mp3, but I kind of wanted your advice. What format should I convert everything to? I still want to keep as much quality as possible. This project, in the end, is really just to make my dad's music more easily accessible.

Another problem besides the format of the audio is the actually hardware itself. I'm thinking about doing it by making a massive tower of CD trays and just getting some automated system to rip it all. I've got a pretty beefy system setup already along with the CD trays and Ubuntu loaded. I have the option of installing Windows XP, but I wanted your opinion on programs as well as what I should do. If you don't think you can answer any of my questions here, go ahead and tell me to gently caress off and I'll run on over to SH/SC.

Big time thanks in advance.

Oh also, I was looking at using these programs. Tell me what you think:

Grip
soundKonverter
CDex

On another note, I was thinking about bringing this over to the college radio station and setting it up there. I realize that the "DJs" over there are useless so I have to deal with that myself, but I would prefer a setup that would work over there too. They have a metric poo poo ton of CDs to convert, too.

If you want uncompressed, FLAC is the way to go. There's plugins for all media players to easily support it and the file size isn't too bearable.

When I left my last college station, we were just starting to digitize the library (massive collection, vinyl and CD -- like 50 years worth). It is a massive task and even with a committee and delegated tasks for each DJ to do weekly, we still opted to have a company digitize the collection. I don't know the encoding, but we didn't do lossless but there was a big debate about it. It is a huge decision and process, though. They still aren't finished it's been nearly a year since I left.

No. 9 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 6, 2010

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Popcorn posted:

Why is that all my Cubase songs end up being quieter than other mp3s? I always set the mixer as high as it will go before it starts clipping, and it inevitably ends up super-quiet. Am I missing something stupid with the mixer balance?

Echoing this question. Pisses me off to no end. Bumping them up in Audition later just isn't the same. Cubase 5, full thing -- if it matters.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
You don't need a traditional MIDI In/Out. Usually, it'll just transmit the MIDI data via USB. Still, it's nice to have the old in and outs.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What kind of Dot doesn't have 4 pots? Mine has 4 but it's an older one. Agreed about the scratches though.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There's a really dedicated Live thread here in ML.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
He wants the actual on-board sounds from his keyboard.