Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl
Does anyone know why the note B is named H in parts of Europe ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

DarthJeebus posted:

I trying to learn Piano, and I don't have money/space for a real one. I'm looking for a no-frills keyboard that has a USB interface and can produce sound either via software on the PC, or through built in speakers. Preferably under $250. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about something like the M-Audio Keyrig 61, but I don't produce music; I just want to learn to play.

I'm either going to need a digital piano or some high end sound equipment for my PC, aren't I?

Speaking from experience, if you want to learn to play the piano you need 88 weighted keys. Some flimsy plastic 61-key MIDI-controller from M-Audio won't cut it. Trust me.

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

DarthJeebus posted:

Well It's as I said the real deal literally will not fit in my tiny apartment. I get what you are saying and I understand, and if circumstances were different I wouldn't even be asking but I really need a substitute. I plan on taking lessons where I will be using a real piano, but for practice at home I need something that is serviceable given the restrictions at hand.

Have you actually measured? my 88 key stage piano is 135 cm and my 61 key WK2 is 105, not an extreme difference. In any case, if you absolutely cannot fit an 88 key weighted keyboard then at least make sure that the 61 (or better 76) key solution you choose at least has a weighted action if you want your practise to transfer to 'the real thing'.

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

DarthJeebus posted:

My budget is around $250-300. No, I haven't actually measured yet. I will but I just know my place is pretty cramped (studio apartment).

Something like that M-Audio is what I was looking in to. I know it doesn't have true weighted keys, but at least I could finagle it into the corner where my computer desk sits. I also found the Yamaha NP-30 in my searches, anyone have first hand experience?

Bear in mind that I am not, nor ever will be a professional musician. Thanks for the advice thus far, at least now I know that I don't need anything beyond a USB connection for that M-Audio to work.

If you can fit the NP30 you can probably fit the 3 inch wider Yamaha P85, which is a pretty standard sized stage piano. You could maybe find one used within your budget range too. IMO, the P85 is the cheapest digital piano that's still OK to play if your goal is to learn to play piano in some capacity. You can find cheaper Casios, but personally I think they're poo poo. YMMV though, so my best piece of advice is to hit up a music store with a wide selection of DPs and try them out and see what you like, but I repeat, if you are ready to invest a decent amount of time into playing, trying to save $100 by going for some inferior product is a really bad idea. You're in the price range where the law of diminishing returns is very much not in play.

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

DarthJeebus posted:

I'm getting a free Yamaha PSR-280 just to dick around with. I want to use it as a midi controller, but I don't have a midi card. Is there a way to use one of those Midi->USB converters to get my software to recognize it?

Yes. Plug it in.