Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Pocket Billiards posted:

I want to play mp3s at half speed, what is a good program to do this in a reasonably simple way? Windows or linux.

Winamp + the Pacemaker plugin works pretty well.

edit: the Speed control only goes down to -43%, but if you set the Pitch control to -12 semitones you'll get half speed.

Computer Jones fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Arashikage posted:

Does anyone know why the note B is named H in parts of Europe ?

To allow Bach to spell his name out with musical notes, obviously!

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Concatenation posted:

But then it'd be Hach...

it's something like B Flat = "B" and B Natural = "H"

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

FLX posted:

Why and how do saw- and pulse-waves create(?) overtones/harmonics and a sine wave doesn't?

A sine wave is a pure tone- just the way energy travels, I believe. Anything on top of that is harmonic or inharmonic content. Saw waves etc. don't "create" overtones, they just have them.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

FLX posted:

Thanks! So basically you add a lot of sine waves together to create saw-, square- and whaterver-waves, and because the sine waves differ in amplitude and frequency, they are the overtones?

Yep, exactly. This is how additive synthesis works. :)

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Popcorn posted:

Why is that all my Cubase songs end up being quieter than other mp3s? I always set the mixer as high as it will go before it starts clipping, and it inevitably ends up super-quiet. Am I missing something stupid with the mixer balance?

The main reason for me is weird transients causing peaks, so I always open my exported WAVs in Audacity and chop the peaks off with a hard limiter. there are probably better ways of doing this, but whatever :sweatdrop:
Mixing is the key thing, though- if the instruments aren't clashing with each other then you can turn them up further.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

dookie posted:

If I want MIDI in,

Should I get an audio interface with MIDI in?

or is there a better alternative? I very rarely record things with a mic, and when I do it is only one track at a time.

If I were to get an audio interface, what would be my best choice?

An interface with MIDI in would be your best bet for stability- you can get USB MIDI adapters, but they might be laggy or suffer dropouts and stuff. That's not to say that they're all bad, but caveat emptor, I suppose. Check online reviews, and take them with a pinch of salt.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Jerky Beef Kong posted:

Edit: Cutting the ground pin from laptop power cable will fix it, but I'd rather not do this. And don't have a hacksaw

If you want to get rid of the ground without damaging anything, you could get one of those 4-way plug adapters, open it up with a screwdriver and disconnect the ground wire. It'd be totally reversible too. Then you could just plug the laptop in through that.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Svrdfsk posted:

And also, what do these pads do? (Like Korg Nano-Pad)

Don't buy a Nanopad, they only last about 6 months before the pads start to fail, if that. My friend and I both bought Nanopads and had the same experience.

Unless you really want to mail your pads back to Korg for replacement ad infinitum :saddowns:

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but... how do I EQ programmed drums? If I were to record an actual kit, I would have a number of different mics for different drums and cymbals that I could EQ and balance individually. So each drum or cymbal is basically its own track. But, at least as far as I can tell, when I program drums, the whole kit is on one track, so any EQ or balance changes wouldn't be applied to individual drums, but to the kit itself. Is there a simpler solution than programming each drum individually as its own track? Can you change the EQ/balance of an individual drum or cymbal within the programmable kit? Hope this makes sense, thanks in advance for any help!

Uh, depends on what you're using for the drums. Ableton Drum Rack lets you click to expand it in session view, and you can pan/mix/EQ each bit individually :)

I think EZDrummer and some others let you do that stuff, but from within the plugin.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

So, I have a problem: I want to make music my with headphones on sometimes, but I have no easy way of plugging them into my audio interface (M-Audio Audiophile 2496, with just RCA connectors). I guess I could get some sort of RCA->3.5mm adapter, but then I'd have to reach behind my computer every time. Is there some way of routing Ableton's audio out into my onboard sound card, so I can use the headphone jack on my computer?

I was thinking it'd be cool to have something in between my interface and monitors with a volume knob and headphone jack, but all I could find like that was £250 professional controllers like the Mackie Big Knob. Am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance for reading my not-so-small question :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Computer Jones posted:

So, I have a problem: I want to make music my with headphones on sometimes, but I have no easy way of plugging them into my audio interface (M-Audio Audiophile 2496, with just RCA connectors). I guess I could get some sort of RCA->3.5mm adapter, but then I'd have to reach behind my computer every time. Is there some way of routing Ableton's audio out into my onboard sound card, so I can use the headphone jack on my computer?

I was thinking it'd be cool to have something in between my interface and monitors with a volume knob and headphone jack, but all I could find like that was £250 professional controllers like the Mackie Big Knob. Am I going about this the wrong way?

I recently bought a mixer and realised that your can pipe audio from the computer through it and into the monitors- and it has a headphone jack as well. Problem solved, basically.