Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
A good site to bookmark for replacement parts is Stewart MacDonald: http://www.stew-mac.com

edit: ^^^ I thought they were usually referred to as bridge-pins. I usually see end-pin referred to as like a strap-button for acoustics to match the bridge-pins. Not sure though.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, I'm not sure if home entertainment speakers are built to the same specs as instrument-amp speakers.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Cool Cool Cool posted:

I've been looking into getting a new amp as mentioned. Specifically, I want something with a nice clean channel, probably solid state or anything under 300 bucks. Any opinions on the Peavey Bandit? Other suggestions. I play a Danelectro DC 3 and like to play twangy poo poo.

Bump up your budget another $60 and look into an Epiphone Valve Sr. I have no experience with it, but the Valve Jr.s sound pretty good for that price.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Valve-Senior-20W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=620579

edit: here's a vid of the junior, or at least a modded version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_LPLFgcHo4

more edit: there are like two vids of a guy "reviewing" the valve senior, but he's not a very good player so I don't think it sounds as good as it could.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 11, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

Paging magnificent7 to make you buy a peavey bandit. At least I think that's who loves 'em so much.

I had an old 1st gen bandit that still gets some great sounds out of it courtesy of one of the guitarists in my band.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've always heard to avoid red-knob fender amps like the plague... Not sure why but I've never run into anyone who has praised them.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CalvinDooglas posted:

If the amp's speaker automatically shuts off when the line out is used, you might want to mic the amp to preserve stage sound.

Some amps actually do that? What a terrible idea...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

CalvinDooglas posted:

I don't think there's any perfect way to record with a band, so much of it is trial and error.

Record without the band knowing it :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone know what setup Harrison used on "You Never Give Me Your Money" on Abbey Road? That beginning guitar part is probably some of the warmest sounding guitar work I can think of. I'd really like to know what all he was using to get that sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKocb4APv-A

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Posted in the recording thread, but figured it'd be good to ask here too...

Are there any substantial differences between the M-Audio 2nd Gen Axiom midi controllers and the Axiom Pro models?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone know if you can convince Guitar Center sales-people to apply online instant-rebates in the store?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Allen Wren posted:

I am not a good musician and I have a cold. Can I get this explained to me? I follow that the fret weirdness makes it so the frets are more accurate to the different strings, but is this the same scale as a standard guitar, just with improved accuracy, or is this for some janky tuning from progfusion town?

Guessing maybe it's for some quartertone type poo poo?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I've been thinking a lot lately about picking up the trumpet again. I played through middle and high school, but haven't really touched one in close to 20 years. I have no clue what the good makes/models are any more for beginners, or what to look for on the used market. Looking to spend about $500 for a horn and mouthpiece.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Wasn't really sure where to put this, but this seemed like a good thread for general knowledge and resources.

The BBC just released 16,000 sound effects from their archive for free WAV download: http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/

Might have some useful stuff for recording/beat-making.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Unfortunately, a large portion of music store salespeople have no loving idea what they're talking about.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Travic posted:

Well the thing is I'm not sure which of them is full of poo poo. I may just have to take the guitar in and try out cases. I was just hoping someone knew about the 12e specifically and could set the record straight and maybe recommend a case.

Specs say it's a "Grand Concert" body style, so be sure you throw that in for any searches you do. It looks like Taylor makes one, but it's $200

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/300116--taylor-deluxe-hardshell-grand-concert-case

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Travic posted:

Ouch. I'll save up for that then. Thanks.

Don't give up, you may find cheaper, but still quality options. I'd be shocked if SKB and Gator didn't make cases for 000/Grand Concert guitars!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone know if/how you can adjust the butterfly-or-whatever-they're-called latches for a roadcase?

The left latch on my pedalboard case (which is technically a turntable roadcase) has gotten tighter and tighter over the years and it's at the point to where I can no longer rotate the tab to lock the lid in place. The mechanism turns freely if I'm not trying to close the case, so it's only when I'm trying to latch it down. Nothing looks to be bent, and everything closes flush, so it's not like it's needing to apply any additional pressure.

Any thoughts?

Here's the latch in question:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thumposaurus posted:

Have you tried lubing it?
Some 3 in 1 oil or any light oil WD40 etc... give it a few drops and see if it helps at all

I'll give it a shot, but it turns freely when there's no tension on it. It's hard to explain, but it's more like there's too much tension, or a gap in the lid.