Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I’ve been interested in getting into music arrangement for a number of years, and I’m looking for recommendations for software/equipment that can... how do I put this?... isolate various sounds/parts in the songs I want to arrange, so I can hear the notes in each part better.

Yes, I know I’m overthinking this, and I don’t care. Just roll with me.

I guess my first question is, does this even exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hawkperson posted:

Traditional notation ok? Finale and Sibelius can definitely do that with MIDI instruments. Musescore too, and it's free.

Sorry, I think I’m not explaining this clearly enough. I meant I’m looking for something that can isolate sounds in the original songs themselves, not in my arrangements.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

JohnnySmitch posted:

Are you talking about splitting up existing songs into tracks (drums, bass, guitar, vocals, etc)? If so, then you’d need the original multitrack recordings for that. Sometimes you can get rid of vocals from a stereo track with some phase trickery, but you can’t pull individual parts/instruments out of a normal song.

I’m not expecting anything to be able to split every part in a song, but I’m thinking there’s probably something out there that can at least make it easier to hear each one.

Pokey Araya posted:

Melodyne can help. It ain't cheap, but its what we use in the studio I work at.

https://shop.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OdP7foaKuw

quote:

$849

Wellllllll gently caress.

I don’t suppose I could get away with one of the cheaper versions if all I want to do is hear the parts and not edit them?

EDIT: Oh there’s a 30-day trial version. Well that helps.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 24, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This is from a long rear end time ago, but with Christmas around the corner I think now is as good a time as any to follow up on this...

Pokey Araya posted:

I. M. Gei posted:

So I’ve been interested in getting into music arrangement for a number of years, and I’m looking for recommendations for software/equipment that can... how do I put this?... isolate various sounds/parts in the songs I want to arrange, so I can hear the notes in each part better.

Yes, I know I’m overthinking this, and I don’t care. Just roll with me.

I guess my first question is, does this even exist?

Melodyne can help. It ain't cheap, but its what we use in the studio I work at.

https://shop.celemony.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CelemonyShop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OdP7foaKuw

So I’m assuming I need to use a microphone to record songs into Melodyne. Are there any particular mics that are better suited to this than others, or will any mic work as long as it isn’t super lovely? Also is there anything else I should consider getting to improve the quality of my recordings so the splitting and sound quality are better? Does my computer need to have any particular specs?

I may need to post these questions in the Home Recording megathread, but since my initial question came from here, I figured I’d try this thread again first.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 14, 2019

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Please tell me someone here knows something about brass instruments. For some reason there’s not a Wind Instrument megathread in Musician’s Lounge, or I’d go ask there instead.

I am going to be in the market for a new trumpet as soon as I have enough money for one, which will hopefully be later this year, and I could use some help deciding what to get. I thiiiiink I’m leaning toward some flavor of the silver reverse-slide Yamaha Xeno, as those seem to consistently be one of the best-rated options out there that isn’t a Bach Strat. I’ve heard that Bach Strats have been going downhill in quality for at least the last 2 or 3 decades and that the ones being made now are kinda poo poo; the pros seem to all be going for Yamaha Xenos now, from what I’ve seen.

So right now I’m looking at a silver Xeno YTR-8335IIRS, or possibly throwing down a bit more cash to import a silver Xeno YTR-8335RGS, which is the same thing with a gold brass bell instead of yellow brass. The RGS appears to only be available in Europe, but google tells me there are several places that’ll import one to the US, if I decide to go that way. I am a little bothered by the bore size, though... the smallest available bore on a Xeno is 0.459”, which is pretty standard for most trumpets, but I think I’d kinda like a slightly smaller bore than that. My current trumpet has a 0.464” bore, which is bigger than average... which, don’t get me wrong, bigger bores are fine, and a lot of pro players love them and play amazing on them... but bigger bores also make it harder to play upper registers and quick note changes, and those just happen to be the two areas I’ve struggled with the most since I got this particular horn (especially the former... I dream about being able to play higher than above-the-staff C without butchering my face through super-strenuous practice seshes for 3 straight days first (and even then I can’t always seem to do it :smith:)). I don’t know if more and/or better practicing would help me there (much more than it has already) or not, although that’s a whole other topic for a whole other effortpost for a whole other day. Long story short, I want a smaller bore, and I’d kinda like one smaller than 0.459” if I can swing it.

One option I’m considering for the bore size issue... — ...... this is gonna sound dumb, and it probably is dumb, but just hear me out... — ... I’m kiiiiiiiiiinda thinking about electroplating my new horn a few times to shrink the bore diameter down another 2 or 3 thousandths of an inch. If I do that (if it ends up not being a COMPLETELY stupid idea), then I’m gonna plate it with some sort of silver alloy like what Yamaha uses to plate their silver horns, and if I remember right, silver brightens a trumpet’s sound, so I’ll probably want to import that gold-brass-belled 8335RGS since the gold brass will help to balance out any increase in sound brightness caused by the added silver. It’s gonna weigh a loving fuckton, but I need to lift more anyway so :getin:

...... oh, and valves! I want a trumpet with good, responsive valves that don’t stick a lot, even if I don’t always press down on them completely straight like you’re supposed to. The valves on the trumpet I play on now have been worn out for more than a decade and act sticky all the drat time, no matter how much oil they have, and I can’t easily replace any of the parts because the company that made the trumpet doesn’t exist anymore (and they stopped making my particular horn more than 15 years ago anyway).

So uhh... I guess my question is, what trumpets do y’all like? Xenos? Reverse-slide Xenos? Reverse-slide gold-brass Xenos? Bach Strats for some reason? Any others I may not have considered yet? And just HOW STUPID is it to add more plating layers to a horn? Like on a scale of “extremely unbelievably loving stupid” to “Donald Trump on his smartest day”?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 5, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Muppets On PCP posted:

have you tried a different size mouthpiece?

my trumpet experience is limited to high school band 25 years ago, but i wound up developing sinusitis from straining while playing upper register stuff until the band director suggested i switch to a 2b mouthpiece and it really helped. i guess it forces a change in embochure or something

Yes, I have. Multiple times. I have a bunch of mouthpieces I never use now.

It might help me to try one that isn’t a Vincent Bach, although most of my trumpet friends play on a Bach 3C (like me) and they still have way less trouble playing high notes than me (and they kinda look at me funny whenever I talk about trying new mouthpieces). So... yeah I’d like to be able to do that stuff on a 3C too.

Jazz Marimba posted:

I Am Not A Trumpet Player (thankfully), but there are some brass people on the ML discord who could help you out: https://discord.gg/z9ugUrd

Thanks, I went ahead and joined. I’m not really much of a Discord poster though... if I don’t get a ton of answers in this thread then I’ll deffo try there next.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Does Schilke make good trumpets?

I mostly know of them for their mouthpieces, but all of my trumpet friends seem to love those. I’m noticing that they have several horns in their Custom and HD serieses that have the smaller bore diameter I want.

Maybe I put together some extra money and buy myself a Schilke AND a Yamaha Xeno?

Brawnfire posted:

Are you Dr. Money? Check out #misc-instruments, our resident brasshole Hawkperson touched on your question--you may have to scroll up a smidgen tho.

I saw this. Thanks!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am totally going to make a Brass megathread now

it will be titled “BRASSHOLES MEGATHREAD” and it will have a gang tag

the gang tag will be goatse but he’s gaping a brass instrument bell instead of his rear end and it will read “BRASS HOLES” along the top and bottom of the bell

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Can I trust a music store in Poland not to rip me off on a horn purchase?

Asking for a friend.

The friend is me.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ruffian Price posted:

Of course! Thomann ships to Poland.

Awesome!

That just leaves me with one more question... How do I ship something from Poland to the US?

I need to buy something from a store in Katowice, and it looks like they don’t ship internationally, so I’ll have to have it shipped to a middle-man address somewhere in Poland that can then ship it to the US.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 18, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ruffian Price posted:

...Jarmuła Music? They don't have international shipping in their pricing chart but they do mention VAT exemptions for clients outside the EU, maybe try reaching out?

Yeah, that’s the place.

This might be a stupid question, but what’s a VAT exemption?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I better start by asking about this here before I go to my orchestra friends on Facebook for more specific intel on the matter.

Where do I go, and what kind of person do I talk to, to get an old violin appraised?

My dad used to be a violin player and still has his old fiddle, but he doesn't remember very much about it other than that it belonged to his mother who had it since before he was born, which puts its origin sometime during or before the 1940s. He thinks it might have been made by a guy called David "Jusik" or "Guzik" or some poo poo like that out of Budapest, but there don't look to be any visible markings on it to indicate who made it or where, apart from a small teal-ish diamond mark near where the strings hook on the bottom, outlined in white or gold or some other light color, but that could be nothing. The bridge may have been replaced at one point or another, although my dad doesn't remember for certain; the bridge that's there now doesn't match the rest of the instrument at all and has a very-faint-but-practically-illegible mark on it that might indicate something about it. Apart from needing new strings and maybe a light cleaning, the whole thing looks to be in pretty nice shape.

I'd like to find out a bit more about its history like when and where it was made and whatnot, and maybe find out if it's worth anything, but where would I go to do that?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flipperwaldt posted:

Have you looked on the inside through the f-holes? That's where a label would be, if any.

I can check there with a flashlight tomorrow

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What are some good music notation apps for iPad? Paid or free, it doesn't matter which. I'd like to get some goon opinions before I go downloading a bunch of poo poo I may never use.

I'd like to try to teach myself to write percussion music, so ideally I want something that has good playback for percussion.

I already have Finale v27 on my laptop, but I take my iPad everywhere and want to be able to write out music on that too, whereas my laptop pretty much lives in my room.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My private lesson teacher uses forScore. Does that have an auto playback feature? I don't see one listed on the App Store.

I'd like to be able to hear the poo poo I'm writing on my iPad before I transfer it to Finale.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

webcams for christ posted:

For Score is a fancy pdf reader and doesn't do notation, unless you're like, using a stylus to write by hand. (Still a great app that I use almost every day)

I would be using a stylus. I have an Apple Pencil I'm gonna use.

But today I'd probably recommend Musescore or Sibelius, which are both industry standard, with lots of support and tutorials.

Can you write sheet music and scores with Musescore? The App Store page sells it more as a sheet music sharing app than a notation app.

I went ahead and downloaded Sibelius but the reviews are a little shaky, and it looks like you have to pay a subscription fee to unlock some of the features. Are those worth the cash?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Sorry. I was being dryly sarcastic about forScore: it's a great pdf reader / editor, but it's as useful as a blank sheet of white paper for notation— you could draw a stave and scribble compositions, but it wouldn't have any functionality that one would want in notation software.

The desktop version of Sibelius is also a subscription model. They've gone the way of Adobe because SAS is simply more profitable. Sibelius and Finale are the industry standard programs used by actual music publishers to prepare physical and digital scores. My friend who prepared charts for the band of Jazz @ Lincoln Center used Sibelius, and I'm partial to their schema myself, even if they're kind of a scummy company.

I recommend messing around with what you can to get a better sense of what features are and are not important.

Thanks for the tips. I'm fiddling with Sibelius right now, trying to see if I can teach myself how to write snare drum music.

I am....... not having much success. I'm a brass player with no experience writing percussion music, and all of this poo poo looks like Greek to me. The fact that there's virtually no distinction between the different notes in playback doesn't help. So far all I've managed to figure out is that the notes with the 'Z's are drumrolls and the higher-lined notes are quiet and sound like chimes.

Are there any good Youtube videos that can teach me what all these different notes sound like?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 9, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I think I need to find a way to split the percussion track down on the song I'm transcribing before I make any real progress writing out the notation. I'm trying to transcribe this into marching percussion and there's just too much going on in the drums to sort it all out into instrument parts right now.

On a positive note, I just wrote my first 2 ever sousaphone bars using the split-out bass track! :D Although the bass is pretty distorted and parts of it are almost completely inaudible on iPhone, and there are a few low notes I'm not 100% sure if I got right. I used the Moises app to do the splitting, in case that matters.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'd like to take this opportunity to give a big fat "gently caress you!" to the tiny-fingered idiot fuckstick that designed the note pitch toggle in Sibelius. Boy I sure do LOVE having to carefully adjust the exact angle my finger lifts up off the screen every single time I enter a note so it doesn't end up one step above or below where it's supposed to be, like adjusting the loving light level on a Philips Hue bulb!

Please for the love of God tell me this app has a touch sensitivity adjustment option.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Please for the love of God tell me [Sibelius] has a touch sensitivity adjustment option.

Also a copy/paste tool, cuz I just had to enter the same 4-bar phrase twice by hand and fuuuuuuck doing that over and over.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

timp posted:

Copying and pasting in sibelius works exactly the same as it does for text?

I suspect your other gripe probably has an easy fix as well but I actually don't even recognize what you're talking about there. In short, stop what you're doing and look up some tutorials ASAP. The number pad will be your best friend.

I'm getting the hang of the note entry thing so that's not a problem anymore. Also I think I might've been bugging out a little bit from some withdrawal poo poo when I made that post, which might explain both why the toggle was weirdly pissing me off so much and why my post came out needlessly angry.

I may have to look up how to copy/paste in the manual, since I'm on mobile and I couldn't get it to work when I tried it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but highlighting a bar and long-pressing on it doesn't make a little menu pop up with copy or paste options like it does with text.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 13, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So here's a loving insane question. How can I best emulate the sound of a piano using only marching wind instruments? My instinct tells me to use some combination of sax and clarinet, but I'm wondering if y'all have other ideas I might not have considered?

Crossposting this from the home recording thread because I'm afraid of cluttering that thread up with my insane questions.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm not expecting it to be perfect. I know the waveforms are totally different and that the attack on a wind instrument is never gonna totally match that of a hammered-string keyboard instrument.

I'm just trying to figure out how to make it... uhh, similar. And how similar I can get.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I went ahead and just added a piano. That at least gives me a place to write the notes in while I work on other poo poo. I can go back and re-map the notes to different instruments later if I want.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do I just...... need to accept that the playback on Sibelius is always gonna sound like audible aids no matter how correct the notes are?

I *think* I'm slowly inching closer to ID-ing the vocal notes in this chorus (although Transcribe! hasn't made it easy) but every time I play it back, and especially whenever I add in baritone and/or tenor sax parts, it sounds like a horrible Dr. Seuss diarrhea nightmare. Like the Grinch ate bad enchiladas and stuck some kooky Dr. Seuss wind instrument up his rear end and just... blasted the most heinous Bible story flood of shits and farts all over everything.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Listening to this playback over and over and over again, wondering if the instrumentation is good, wondering if the notes are right, wondering if each instrument is pitched at the right octaves, wondering if I'm assigning the instruments to the singers' individual voices in a way that sounds good, is giving me major psychic damage and the godawful playback is not helping.

Jazz Marimba posted:

yeah, since it’s primarily a notation program it’s basically microsoft word for music + microsoft sam thrown in for sounds. if you want good sounds, export midi to the daw of your choice and adjust dynamics, note lengths, attacks/releases, etc.

What is a daw?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ruffian Price posted:

NotePerformer is solid and by the maker of WIVI if you remember that. Won't ever sound as good as produced mockups but the playback is at least accurate.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Digital Audio Workstation eg Ableton, Reason, Logic, Cubase, FL Studio, Bitwig, etc

If you don't have a DAW and are trying to write music, you should really look into getting one. Most have trial versions. Reason's trial is full featured and has no end point so you can use it forever if you want. Maybe look around at what people who make the kind of music you like use and give that a shot.

I assume these all work with Sibelius files?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Flipperwaldt posted:

lol no. Closest you'll get is Sibelius exporting your stuff as midi and the nice daws will assign a sound to it on import based on the general midi spec, but you shouldn't even take that as a given. You'll have tempo, note timing and length and probably not much else. The file will likely be split up back into different parts by midi channel at least, but if you used multiple tracks going to the same channel or had your stuff built up from shorter clips or phrases, that separation will be lost.

Also, if your end game is a human readable score, the tools for that in most daws are pretty crappy.

So what I'm hearing is I'm never gonna get a good-sounding, accurate playback short of an actual band playing the music I'm writing.

well gently caress :smith:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can also learn to use a DAW, it's not impossible. Or you can record the individual (real-life) instruments yourself, separately, and then combine the separate audio tracks to make the complete piece.

I mean... I could learn a DAW, but just transcribing this score is a lot of work already. I'm doing the whole entire 3-minute 55-second song and not just a part of it (I'm gonna cut it up, remix the sections, and shrink it down into smaller arrangements later).

I have thought about recording real-life instruments separately and combining them, but it's a lot of instruments and I only play one instrument myself. Also I don't have any recording equipment. I could go around asking my old band directors to play individual parts for me and let me record them (I already got one guy to agree to help me figure out how to write the percussion), but that's a lot of coordination and I don't even know if any of THEM have recording equipment.

I miiiiiiiiiight be able to sweet-talk a local junior college band into playing parts of the score for me if they don't have any other concerts coming up. If nothing else I may be able to use that to see how well the instrumentation syncs up on stuff like the vocal solo parts and the orchestra hits, although getting enough people together to play the chorus and other harmony parts so I can check for chord note accuracy might be trickier.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay I'm curious. How long does it normally take people to transcribe the vocal part of a song?

I think I spent about 2 hours today doing the back 3/8ths of the first verse of Motownphilly with the swapping Wanya and Nate solo parts, and that was only about 6 or 7 bars. I know this is my first score and maybe I started on hard mode with this particular song, but drat I thought I'd be moving faster than that. Vocals are kind of a bitch to transcribe.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

... there's no way to copy/paste passages from one file to another in Sibelius for iPad, is there?

I gotta type this whole 3-page, 8-part bitch out by hand all over again in another file, don't I? :smith:

EDIT: To clarify, I'm doing the vocals and accompaniment/background parts in two separate files so I can work on them and play them back independently, but I did that partly because I thought I could just copy/paste parts of one file over to the other, and I'm not finding a way to do that.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

But could you not copy a save file entirely and then add or remove instruments as needed? It's cruder than highlighting specific measures to c/p but would likely still save time.

That was how I split the vocals and accompaniment to start with. And then I added stuff to them both separately, and now, well...