Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mad Eddy posted:

Do you know about the sound quality on those? Something like the TD-4sx. I only want to spend around 1500 on a set.

Edit: also how viable of a solution is getting an acoustic drumset with silencers? Are they still loud as gently caress or do they just garble the sound to hell in back.

The Roland TD series sound fantastic, they usually come with a bunch of different sounding kits and you can buy V-Expressions aftermarket patches to give you even more noises when you hit things.

Whichever kit you get, make sure it has at least one (preferably more) mesh head on the snare/toms, the mesh feels so much nicer than the rubber pads, and are quieter to play if reducing external sound levels is your ultimate goal. The TD4 SX you mentioned would probably be ideal and fit within your budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Am I correct in my assumption that if I bought an electronic drumset, MIDI capable interface, recording software and a drumset VST, I could "play" drums and record them on the computer?

Yes. You could also just plug directly into the audio interface via the kit line-out and skip the MIDI and VST but you might have less control over the sounds, depending on the kit you bought.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

eArh0x posted:

Request. Does anyone still happen to have an install of either of the versions of Sound Raider? Cant seem to find one on general internets anymore. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Sound Raider was free. Not warez req.

Is this it? http://www.brothersoft.com/sound-raider-70290.html

Please note that I have no idea what the program is or does, but this showed up in a general search.

Edit: Also maybe this one http://softwaredownloadmirror.com/freeware/sound-raider-1.0/276727/raider.zip

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

digital recorder

I can't vouch for the Tascam but I have a Boss Micro-BR which does prettymuch everything you've listed.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/MICRO_BR/

It's portable, has it's own effects and a lot of drum patterns, offers 4 track recording with the ability to bounce down and has v-tracks and all that. It is battery powered but I think you can find an adapter for desk usage, although the batteries do last for a good few hours. Would be good for the 2am inspiration sessions as you can put headphones on and go anywhere being as loud as you want.

Ease of use is subjective, it does have a lot of menus for some of the more in-depth stuff but it is really simple to actually arm and record tracks. You can master it in the unit or just export the WAV to a PC for further work.

I've had mine for a couple of years now and it's still in perfect working order.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

amotea posted:

Can I record myself playing the guitar with the following hardware:
- Electric guitar
- M-Audio Audiophile USB interface, which has left and right jack unbalanced (what does this mean?) inputs
- Amp with jack out (and in ofc.)

I figured maybe I can just hook the amp out up to either the left or the right input on the interface, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it. Maybe I need a mono jack to stereo jack splitter/adapter?

Yes you can. You should be able to just plug the amp headphone out into the left input on the m-audio, there is no real need to go into both l and r as nothing will be stereo anyway. You could also just skip the amp and plug the guitar straight into the audiophile and use some sort of digital effects like amplitube (30 day demo here http://www.ikmultimedia.com/amplitube/download/ ). You can use something like Reaper http://reaper.fm/ to do the recording.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Alesis DM5 Pro Electronic Drumkit? I'm looking to buy it for simple recording purposes because not only can I not have an acoustic drumset where I live, but I really don't want to worry about micing up an acoustic drumset either. So my grossly oversimplified plan is to buy this drumset and use it as a MIDI controller for Superior Drummer. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to improve upon this plan (I know that V-drums are the poo poo, but the price on them is not) or is this plan incredibly uninformed, and if so, how?

I'm not sure if it was this exact Alesis kit but I read in a review that they had a limited amount of simultaneous voices so a long cymbal ring could be cut short if you did a snare roll or something after it. I know it applied to the cheaper kits, but I don't think it would carry over if you were only using midi.

You might be able to afford a TD-4K for a little more than the price of the DM5, because as you mentioned, V-Drums are indeed the poo poo.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FateFree posted:

Does anyone know of any free or cheap music software that will allow someone to:

1) Scan sheet music (or, allow manually typing notes into virtual sheet music)
2) Play back the virtual sheet music through midi sounds
3) Output the midi to an mp3?

This is for someone who has no keyboard but wants to edit and sing along to midi notes on a walkman.

I have no idea how well these work but try https://audiveris.dev.java.net/ or http://sourceforge.net/projects/openomr/ (links taken from this wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_OCR ). You may need to use Audacity or Reaper to output the files into MP3 format.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Noeland posted:

Looking to get into electronic music production as a hobby, anyone know how steep the learning curve of the Kaoss Pad is or if would that be a reasonable choice for getting into making live sound? TIA.

Step 1: Put finger on Kaoss Pad.
Step 2: Move finger.

There is a bit more control options but overall that is it. Although correct me if I am mistaken but a Kaoss Pad on its own won't let you actually create any noises, isn't it just an effects unit and looper? You would still need some other source (synth, laptop etc) to actually generate your beats and so forth before adding effects.

The Kaossilator Pro has almost exactly the same form factor as the Kaoss Pad but actually has a built in synthesiser so you can create all the sound within the one unit. They are a lot of fun and you can do some cool stuff with very little experience in electronic music, no need to understand keyboards, sequencers or any of that fancy stuff, just start making noises until you figure out something you like the sound of.
In a live situation you would probably want to use it in tandem with another device (probably even a Kaoss Pad) because saving and loading previously saved loops drops the sound out entirely so you can't switch seamlessly between songs unless you are doing a complete on-the-fly set with no prior material (this is also cool and completely doable but all your mistakes would be broadcast as well until you settle into your groove). With a second looper you could get one song playing through it and then load up another without the period of silence.

A K-Pro and K-Pad combo would let you jump straight into making electronic music in a live situation immediately with very little preamble but it would be a little pricey to just buy both straight away (unless you are cashed up in which case go for it).

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ballgameover.mp3 posted:

...a good method of drastically increasing sustain.

There are some devices that you can install directly into the guitar that with a flip of a switch will give you infinite sustain. Fernandes make some kits ( http://www.fernandesguitars.com/sustainer-kits.html ) and another mob called Sustaniac ( http://www.sustainiac.com/ ) seem to do a similar thing as well.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SkandalousPanda posted:

What's the best way to amplify my laptop for jamming with others? I have some friends who play guitar and bass and they want me to lay down some drum samples with them. A friend of mine DJs from his laptop and has a PA, but I don't want a huge setup like that for a jam session. Should I just look into getting a studio monitor and external soundcard?

If you have a decent home hifi system you could just get a 3.5mm to 2x RCA cable and run from your headphone out socket on the laptop directly into the stereo. Also any of the low/mid range Logitech computer speaker sets can put out reasonable amounts of volume and are perfectly capable of keeping up in a jamming situation but anything beyond that probably not as much. I have a set of logis hooked up to my Roland V-Drums and they work fine for what I need, but obviously I would not perform with them.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

not a dinosaur posted:

Question vaguely related to my last: can I put standard strings on a baritone guitar without having ridiculous string tension?

By ridiculous do you mean too tight or too loose? I have a set of EB Not Even Slinky (12-16-24p-32-44-56) on my baritone and it gives me ideal tension in B standard tuning. C# tuning is still very usable but I would worry about going up any higher than that (without goggles and gloves on at least). Going to A and below I do lose a lot of tension so if you are aiming for the really low register then you might want to look for something a bit thicker.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Your guitar will be fine.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you have an iPhone/Pad/Touch there are a few reasonably cheap apps. I started with Karajan but it didn't have any sort of lesson structure and seemed to be more for sharpening your existing musical ear instead of starting fresh, moved on to EarMan which has a terrible interface and I have probably only used a handful of times, and now use Ear Trainer which is the closest thing to EarMaster I have found on an iOS device.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Easiest way would be to run a mic through a vocoder or autotune at full settings, then you can just sing it yourself to get the human emotion in any language you are capable of enunciating. I think the vocoder will give a more distinct robot sound and lessen the chances of someone confusing your track with whatever the latest no-talent autotuned drivel is currently in rotation.
Doesn't matter if you can't sing either, the processing takes care of basically everything.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A small all-in-one karaoke machine will probably do what you want.

Something like this

I have seen them in places like Target so check out any of the big retail stores and you will probably find something pretty cheap. I can't imagine the quality will be fantastic but at parties I don't think anyone will be picking apart the frequency response of the speakers. Probably available online also, but the other ones I saw included such high-tech features as a 5" black and white CRT screen so they seem to be a little behind the curve technology wise.
A lot of cheap DVD players also have a karaoke mode so plug in a cheap mic and hook it up to a stereo and BAM, instant party machine.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I use Hearos at concerts and my ears feel much, much better than they used to at the end of a show sans-protection. The attenuation is probably not as perfect as you could want but they are still miles ahead of standard foam/rubber plugs as far as audio quality is concerned. Getting the Hearos seated correctly is probably the trickiest part, there seems to be a sweet spot where all the frequencies start rolling in, but I often have trouble finding it until the plugs have been in for a bit and have warmed up or my ears have stretched (or until an errant moshpit fist knocks them into the right position, this has happened more than once).
Also as they are a one-size-fits-everyone design it can be a little uncomfortable having them in for extended periods (all-day festivals and the like). If you see a dude constantly fiddling with his ears at a concert it's likely just an attempt to coax the Hearos into a less-annoying spot. Some form of lube (spit, moisturiser etc) helps a lot for repeated reseating attempts.
In spite of the comfort issues I still wear them at every event and will continue to do so until I can find a nearby audiologist who offers the custom earplug fitting service to get myself a proper set of musicians plugs.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

VELOUR SPACESUIT posted:

I have had one drum kit my whole life and I am looking to get a new one. I started a band in February and we are about to start playing some shows and I'd like an upgrade (currently playing Pearl Export series).

I suppose I have two questions:

1. What should I be looking for when I try out prospective kits?

2. Any suggestions? We play a sludgy-stoner rock kind of thing. I'd like a deeper sounding kick drum, but other than that, I'm in the dark a little.

Have you considered an electronic kit? You can make the kick drum as deep as you could ever want, there is massive scope for sonic variety and if you ever get bored with the kit sound just turn the dial and be playing a whole new kit (repeat ad infinitum). Even if you were still on the acoustic side you could go to the drum store and dick around on an e-kit for a bit until you find a sound you like and then get one of the staff and say "ey yo I like this kit please build me up a non-electronic equivalent and I will provide you with money to facilitate this exchange". Either way, play an e-kit, they are awesome.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Power_13 posted:

I'm considering upgrading my music laptop since my old one suffers from some pretty heavy slowdown once I get to something like seven tracks with effects and drums. I use Reaper, ezDrummer and Guitar Rig 4, and plug everything into a Saffire LE Focusrite (firewire). I use some other NativeInstruments software packages like the Session Strings package. My keyboard goes into my laptop via a USB MIDI interface.

What should I be looking at as a matter of priority; RAM, CPU or something in between? I'm currently using a single-core 3ghz with 2gb RAM. Is there anything else in my setup that might cause a "bottleneck"? I'm fairly new to proper recording, so I want to make sure I'm going to buy something that'll improve performance as much as possible.

Multi core CPU and a bunch of RAM will be the biggest concerns, but if you go over 3GB of ram (which is basically every notebook now) then make sure you run a 64bit operating system so you can actually use all the RAM you have available. An i7 CPU paired with 8GB RAM will be a solid recording machine that should stay relevant for some time. You could spring for a solid-state drive (SSD) which will definitely provide a speed boost but they might not be best for recording as they have a limited amount of write cycles so recording track after track will lower the drives lifespan. Some laptops have 2 hdds, one SSD and one regular platter drive, so that you can have the OS and all DAW software on the SSD for fast loading times and then all the recording is done on the regular drive.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Power_13 posted:

Thanks :) I hadn't considered the RAM/64-bit thing, I'll have to check the software I use supports 64-bit operating systems.

Win7 64 is pretty clever at running 32bit stuff, I haven't run into any issues so far with running legacy software in the 18 months 7 has been on the market (I repair computers for a living) so you should be ok with whatever you run, even though ultimately native 64bit operation will give you best performance.

And quickly with the e-drums: use any of the higher end Roland or Yamaha kits (td-9 and above for Roland) and usability becomes transparent, the cheaper kits you definitely have to fight with to get them to do what you want but a good all-mesh kit is fantastic to play and the hi-hat cymbal is probably the only thing I feel is lacking on my kit, but you can get ones that fit to a regular hi-hat stand and will give a lot of the feel of a regular set of hats. Amplification may be something to consider but you can just plug straight into the PA at a lot of venues so that makes things a lot simpler.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah probably opt for the Light instead of Medium version of whatever strings you buy, I put medium on a 3/4 and it played OK but the low E string gets out of tune by the 3rd fret so even an open G sounds a bit off until you tune the string a few cents below centre. I haven't tested it yet but I am running off the theory that a thinner string will alleviate this problem.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

rcman50166 posted:

What is the most cost effective way to improve the acoustics of a room in which a band plays? I'm interested in doing it to a concrete room and the current acoustics are awful. I have a bunch of 2" thick packaging foam for starters. However it isn't even enough to cover an entire wall. I have thought about hanging blankets (huge fire hazard, I'd rather not if there is a better way) as well as making a drummer isolation thingy.

If there is a thread on this matter it would be helpful as well. If there isn't a thread, you think it would be a good time to start one? I wouldn't start it myself as I don't have any knowledge on the matter.

Try scattering whatever foam you already have over the walls in some semi-regular pattern (focusing on the centre of each wall), that might be enough to break up the most drastic echoes bouncing back and forth. You can also make some cheap echo deadeners by making a wooden frame and stretching some hessian or other reasonably thick cloth over them, then just hang these cloth-covered frames on the walls (they can be as big as you want but the ones I've seen are about 1m per side). You can even paint or otherwise design them so that they aren't just big ugly brown squares and instead can add some personality to your band room while also improving acoustics.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hammer Floyd posted:

Once we had all our gear loaded up on-stage, I was running through scales and stuff with the amp on standby so nobody could hear me. Also, it was only my fingers that had frozen, not my hands so I dont know if fingerless gloves will help. I'll try it though. Any other suggestions?

Start doing finger rolls similar to this video, you don't need to spend tons of time to get them as fluid as that guy but even at a basic and relatively unco-ordinated level they are fantastic for warming up your fingers and this sort of thing can be done anywhere without the need for an instrument. I feel amazingly dexterous after spending a few minutes doing this and these days I never pick up a guitar without doing a bunch of rolls first.

edit: Alternately keep a gripmaster or similar springy squeezy thing in your pocket, but I still prefer the rolling.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

-Anders posted:

Now should I get one of these? I figure it's a good way actually getting started playing something, as I don't have to figure out what notes are atleast in the beginning.

Buy a real guitar and tune it to Drop D or an open chord and then you will have an instrument equally as simple to play initially as that thing but with the flexibility to increase the complexity of your playing as time goes on and you become more confident with making noises. Unless you really like the sound of that strumstick, you will be better off learning with a 6 string instrument.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Alesis Control Pad looks almost identical to the Roland model in that clip, I can only assume it has similar capabilities but it definitely covers the "smallish unit you can hit with a stick" functionality you are after, and they look to be less than 1/4 the cost of the SPD-S.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

Could I use this as a bass amp and a regular electric amp? It would only be used to practice and never turned up all the way.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers-Crush-PiX-Series-CR20L-20W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-424055-i1568685.gc

e: I shouldn't say never. I could see myself turning it up with a regular guitar plugged in. Certainly never with a bass, though. Would it still suffice?

At practice volume you'll be fine, even at reasonably high levels it should be OK. I play bass through my guitar combo and have never had any issues. I also have doubts about the claims that damage will occur, everyone always cries foul at the idea of bass though a guitar amp but no-one bats an eyelid at the thought of playing a guitar downtuned to a similar register as the bass through that same sort of amp, nor does anyone buy seperate amps when they add an octave pedal to their board.
As long as you aren't feeding a 100db 10hz sine wave through causing the speaker to physically move an inch forward with every cycle then you'll probably never run into any issues.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Musicradar has a pretty comprehensive list of free plugins here, and then you can use a free(ish) DAW like Reaper to load them into, you'll be able to create all sorts of non-traditional sounds with a little bit of learning.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes there are acapella releases or other mixes of a particular song (used to be included on the CD single a lot of the time, not sure if that still happens) that will let you steal the unsullied vocals/bassline, but other than that it's just getting the piece out of the commercial release and cleaning it up as best as you can. I have seen a few artists that put all the tracks from their songs online and say "have at it" for those interested in doing remixes, but that's really up to the artist themselves.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

frankenbeans posted:

This seems to be the best place to ask:

What is the bit of music between 1970's TV show segments called? For an example, the bit in batman where the batlogo goes down a trippy tunnel and comes back, "meanwhile, back at the batcave".

I've searched high and low, and I can't find it. I've looked for sting, segue and transition, and am getting nothing. Once I know what the correct terminology is, everything should become wonderful.

Maybe "interstitial"?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I can't vouch for that specific stand but all of my mic stands and guitar hangers are Hercules branded and are very strong and sturdy, I have no qualms at all about entrusting the safety of my instruments to any product they make.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Anything with a quarter-inch jack on one end and a USB on the other end should be fine for connecting your guitar to a laptop, but an external Audio Interface will give you a bit more flexibility down the track if you decide to use other instruments or record multiple parts at once. This thread has a lot of info on audio interfaces of all sizes.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Behold! A Elk! posted:

This is probably a stupid question. When I am about to distribute a collection of songs as one package that I made myself and are not illegal for me to give away through the technology of :filez:. How do I make it so that all of my homemade tracks have the album art and information be present when someone else downloads it?

I am getting this kind of spider sense style feeling that I am asking something that is super dumb.

It'd be the id3 tags I guess? In iTunes you can set all the track/album/author information for a track and also assign it an album art picture, I'm not 100% sure if the pic is embedded into the MP3 itself but you could test by putting in the info/pic via the "get info" option when right clicking an MP3 (in iTunes) and then copying that mp3 to another system (or portable device) and seeing if it's still there. Alternately you can just chuck some nice high-res pics into the folder with the songs and zip the whole thing up, a lot of albums are presented this way. You don't specifically need to use iTunes, most audio players should be able to do it just as well.

Walk Away posted:

Let me preface this by saying that I have no experience with creating/editing music whatsoever. I need to know how I would go about removing the vocals from a song that I have in iTunes. I've checked around and I can't get the track in something like a karaoke version, so I would have to either edit the vocals out or get someone to play the song and record it for me. Any suggestions about doing the former?

It's very difficult to remove an element from a track completely without leaving traces behind. There are filters (often seen in karaoke machines) that can suppress vocals but I think they tend to just lower the volume on a certain range of frequencies so it may impact negatively on the rest of the track or still have the vocals present but a bit more muffled.

A very popular way of getting audio with a specific track removed has been through the Rock Band games, I'm not sure of the exact method but via a practice mode or whatever you can have the backing track playing and then just not hit anything on the instrument you are supposed to be playing and record the output so you end up with a studio-mastered version of the song you want that has the guitar/bass/vocals cut out of it, that may be an possibility if your song is one of the several hundred in the current Rock Band library.
Your last option will be to either get someone to record the backing track for you, or if you can find a MIDI file for the song you could use that to create a backing track in any audio program that can map MIDI notes to sounds (ie Reaper, Logic, Cubase etc), and it will still sound pretty good.
What song are you trying to remove the vocals from?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The time and effort you would spend in removing the vocals from that greatly outweighs the time needed to simply re-record the guitar part, you'd be far better off getting someone to play that for you and it's very basic so you won't need a virtuoso guitarist to do it.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I have no idea how much someone would charge for that kind of thing, but given the simplicity of the song I wouldn't think much at all, it's only four chords for the song with embellishments here and there so for an intermediate guitarist it shouldn't pose much of a challenge . Find somewhere that people are taught music (school/college/music shop) and see if one of the students or teachers are keen to have a go at it. If money came into it then I guess it'd be fair to pay for like an hours worth of lessons as an exchange for them learning the song and recording it for you. Where are you using the track? You may even be able to have a guitarist play the backing track live if that's possible in your scenario.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

How do I know when I've used enough fretboard conditioner?

When it stops soaking in. I cover the whole fretboard and leave it rest for a while, then come back and touch up any dry spots, then repeat until no more obvious dry areas appear and then buff the remainder away.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mandals posted:

If there's a compelling reason to use them though I'd be interested in learning more.

The maintenance issue primarily (it gets done with every string change) as it cleans any accumulated debris away, and all my fretboards are rosewood so using fretboard conditioner leaves them dark and glossy which is a nice benefit. It also improves the feel when playing, the times when my fingertips brush the fretboard they glide and don't catch on any errant dry grain. I don't like using lemon oil because it leaves the fretboard "squeaky" when touched and doesn't feel as smooth, also I don't think lemony-fresh is the most suited odour to the music I play.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There is probably a software method that can do it but I always just grab whatever metronome/synth is nearest to me that has a tap-tempo funtionality and tap it out using that.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

DrChu posted:

Is there a good resource for drum transcriptions/lessons? I'm not really looking for full songs, just generic parts to help me program a drum machine. I am terrible with drum stuff and real time programming does not turn out well, but I can handle step programming.

Youtube has a million drum lessons, might be a good place to start. Loop packs (from somewhere like http://www.freeloops.com/ ) might help as well, they will give you lots of short rhythms and patterns to help you get a grip on beats. If you have a DAW like garageband or something there might already be a ton of loops preloaded for you to mess with.

Another option is drum tab, if you have Guitar Pro or Powertab then you can download tabs to songs you like and, when opened with the correct program, they will let you hear how the track is played while also giving you a visual guide. This gives you a chance to find songs with beats you are familiar with and see how they are constructed, then you can transcribe them into your drum machine.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like it could be just a cracked solder join where the pickup wires connect to the switch, if so it will be a pretty cheap repair as you'll just need to re-solder the connectors, but given the knock the switch has received I'd buy a nice shiny new switch assembly and put that in at the same time.
If it's not the switch at fault it could still be some of the wiring from the pickups, I installed a pickup some time ago and the output was as you described (1/3 normal) until I soldered two specific wires together and then everything was as expected. This was on a 3-way Gibson style switch so those wires probably lead directly into the 5-way on your guitar.

Pull the backplate off the guitar and give the wires a wiggle and you should hear it cut in and out. It might be as easy as pressing a soldering-iron against the connections momentarily to reseat the wires in place.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Hearos make a set of high-fidelity plugs as well, these things are my best friends when it comes to taming large sounds, although I will definitely upgrade to a set of custom-moulds when I am next in a city that offers the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The cynical view would be to say they stick to the sub genre because it's something they are familiar with and it sells well, but it probably is a conscious decision at some point. It might not be to the degree of "I am deciding now to only ever make Happy-House-Trancecore-Step, no exceptions" but everyone has their own tastes in music and that will ultimately be expressed when it comes to music creation.
For me it's alternative rock/punk; it's what I listen to mostly, it gets me motivated and energetic I hear it, and ultimately whenever I make a song it fits neatly into that genre bracket. I'm never going to sit down to write a blues or jazz song because I simply don't like most of what I have heard in that field, it doesn't let me express myself musically and I would feel like a total poser because it's simply not me.