Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Lily Catts posted:

Is there a term for when a song has one instrument performing an ostinato at the start, and another one joins, and another one, until everything ties together (bonus points if it ends with the same instrument it started with)? I want to say it's a structure thing but my music vocab is limited.

I'd say it depends on the period and genre. what you've described could apply to works of renaissance polyphony, fugues, counterpoint, theme and variations, minimalism, post-minimalism, lots of pop and jazz, etc

you can also narrow it down by specifying the relationship of the other voices to the primary ostinato. i.e. how rounds or fugues, or other contrapuntal forms are defined

webcams for christ fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know what this thing is?

I think it's a lap steel, but it isn't exactly guitar like.

a modern variation of a Kanklės

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Hawkperson posted:

Grain of salt as I may be misunderstanding. But unless you’re planning to play with others, you can just learn the G instructional materials on your F flute.

you are correct. the previous page seems to have a lot of misunderstanding regarding transposing instruments and concert pitch.

an instrument in F sounds either a perfect fifth lower than written (like the English Horn or Wagner Tuba) or a perfect fourth higher. when you play a "C", the given pitch produced is a Concert F

This generally does not affect how you read music, unless you want to play with others and you choose to sight-transpose.

Most musicians who read music, especially when sight-reading, prefer to play music that's already transposed for their instrument rather than sight-transposing. But if you only want to play by yourself, it doesn't necessarily matter.

Here's a primer on concert pitch, transposing instruments, and what keys most major instruments play in

Hawkperson posted:

If you do ever get a G flute, it will translate very easily.

no. if you get a G Flute, that will sound a 4th Lower or 5th higher than concert pitch, and playing a written G Major Scale would sound like a Concert D Major Scale.

webcams for christ fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Dec 27, 2022

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

As an example, if the first written exercise is to play the G major scale, I can simply play a F major scale and it will be the correct intervals, but not the correct notes on the page?

almost! even easier than that, just play the G Major Scale. It will sound like a Concert C Major Scale. literally don't worry about transposing anything at all while you're getting started.

also everyone watch the below video on transposing instruments. conveniently it uses the french horn as an example, which is also in F.

https://youtu.be/FNT1Ze4a6cY

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I draw an x when I'm notating by hand.

Also to bring it back to the last topic, when you're composing something for a an orchestra it large ensemble, individual parts eventually have to be transposed so they're all at concert pitch, and you may end up with double sharps or double flats that way

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

Can anybody help me understand what's going on with the vocal harmonies in the chorus here, specifically the "Don't allow" "Kyoto now" parts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzMG5WjXcy0&t=102s

I always have a hard time hearing the distinct notes in a vocal harmony but this sounds like something more complicated than a standard third-based structure.

I'd have to sit down at my piano to work it out exactly, but it sounds like those small sections are run through something like Polyvox:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwgaZcXbjqU

the voicing is what I'd call a "close harmony" and it sounds like some of the parts are a major 2nd apart from each other, like an inverted 9th chord

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve got about $200 to burn. I wanna spend it on my music hobby, specifically making music. Ideally I’d like to invest in my music-making abilities and experience, and in streamlining my music-making process. I don’t need hardware synthesizers and I’m sitting relatively pretty on software (Renoise for my DAW, various free softsynths and effects for VSTs).

As someone who wants to make music and get better at making music, what is this money best spent on?

one strategy is to put the money on the line against a discrete goal with a deadline. something really ambitious would be entering some sort competition with a jury.

for example the Musicworks Electronic Music Composition Contest

getting a fire lit under your rear end is worth far more than any piece of equipment or software

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Problem #1 is that I’d want to bring a serious project to them (e: and understand what I want to make), so that’ll need to be done first. Problem #2 is oh god people.

Maybe that’s my motivation to finish those drat projects. Would be an interesting gimmick for a double album, a before/after :v:

I think you're setting arbitrary barriers for yourself that aren't conducive to growth. having ambition and high standards is admirable, but a good instructor or coach will be able to meet you at any stage of a project. you don't need to be "ready"

I'll also plug this lovely quote from Ira Glass

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

People need to stop thinking that art is only the highly-polished "professional" stuff. Seriously, this is one of the biggest problems with how culture is presented these days. You are making art! It's legit! It doesn't have to be designed for mass appeal, or to hit some kind of arbitrary quality threshold, to be art. It's OK to be the modern equivalent of a peasant with a flute, playing for friends and family at a small gathering.

I'm a full time union musician and most of the stuff I perform is pretty good, but lemme tell you quite a few of the performances in my career have objectively sucked! and I'm always blown away and kinda jealous of non-pros who perform/produce wonderful stuff without degrading themselves by getting involved in the industry

webcams for christ fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 23, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cruft posted:

It's sad what the phonograph did to the notion that singing is something ordinary people do.

At the end of the day, if I made two people smile with my dumb song about dog food, that's still entertainment.

:emptyquote:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

A theory question, but more of a thought while in the bathroom at work.

Are power chords actually chords or are they technically double stops?

it depends on whose definition of chord you prefer.

a double stop is a dyad performed on two strings of a string instrument.

if a power chord is just the root and fifth, it's also definitely a dyad or double stop, and maybe a chord. if the power chord has more than just 2 discrete pitches, then it's likely best described as a chord.

but "Chord" doesn't have a universally agreed-upon definition. see the Wikipedia entry:

Chord (music) - Wikipedia posted:

Ottó Károlyi[9] writes that, "Two or more notes sounded simultaneously are known as a chord," though, since instances of any given note in different octaves may be taken as the same note, it is more precise for the purposes of analysis to speak of distinct pitch classes. Furthermore, as three notes are needed to define any common chord, three is often taken as the minimum number of notes that form a definite chord.[10] Hence, Andrew Surmani, for example, states, "When three or more notes are sounded together, the combination is called a chord."[11] George T. Jones agrees: "Two tones sounding together are usually termed an interval, while three or more tones are called a chord."[12] According to Monath, "a chord is a combination of three or more tones sounded simultaneously", and the distances between the tones are called intervals.[13] However, sonorities of two pitches, or even single-note melodies, are commonly heard as implying chords.[14] A simple example of two notes being interpreted as a chord is when the root and third are played but the fifth is omitted. In the key of C major, if the music stops on the two notes G and B, most listeners hear this as a G major chord.

Since a chord may be understood as such even when all its notes are not simultaneously audible, there has been some academic discussion regarding the point at which a group of notes may be called a chord. Jean-Jacques Nattiez explains that, "We can encounter 'pure chords' in a musical work", such as in the "Promenade" of Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition but, "often, we must go from a textual given to a more abstract representation of the chords being used", as in Claude Debussy's Premičre arabesque.[8]

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

SSHHMute is a solid option

also check your lease for info/restrictions: I'm permitted to practice up to 2 hours / day from 08:00-12:30 and 14:30-20:00 at full volume, for example

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Luddite recommendation is using Robert Starer's book with a metronome, recording yourself if necessary

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

any kind of basic spectrometer software would let you easily visualize it, as long as you have a mic picking up the metronome click/beep and whatever you're playing, whether that's an Audacity plugin, something on your DAW, or stand alone software like this

but the Starer book is really, really helpful for locking in your subdivisions and helping with rhythmic sight reading skills imo

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

there are also a number of patreons dedicated to transcriptions with discords and such. it's hard to pass around sheet music in the open without getting a copyright strike.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Kvlt! posted:

im trying to learn reading music on bass and find the practice programs in the book im using arent helpful because by the 2nd or 3rd time I run through the exercise I just play the pattern by ear.

Is there an app or website that will just throw randomly generated notes at me to play to practice to?

Real Book / Standards Real Book (in C) + Metronome

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cruft posted:

Modes are a way of talking about music theory. There are other ways: sounds like you like those better.

:hmmyes:

also Scales and Key Signatures aren't exactly the same thing

why do we need D Mixolydian when E minor exists?
why do we need G Locrian when A-flat major exists?
etc

it's about what you want to emphasize: tonic vs intervalic relationships, harmony vs melody, etc.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

it's hard to assess someone's background knowledge from just a single question, and being on a dead gay comedy forum makes it easier to read sarcasm into posts where none was intended

imo the best way to get your head around modes is learn them as scales on a piano or instrument of choice, and to hear the differences between modes. I like this video on that end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4zpRkONtWw

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

it would be annoying. you'd want to transpose for that string so they can still read in C, which is annoying for just one string. you'd have to be confident in reading it and playing it yourself before inflicting it on others. not a great risk-reward ratio imo but yes it's literally a thing you can do

e: if all 4 strings were tuned down, that'd be relatively fine. you'd still want to write a transposing part

webcams for christ fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 13, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

cruft posted:

I assume she's doing this deliberately, and that she's just one of those musicians with a killer sense of pitch who can intentionally sing a quarter-tone sharp live. I just don't get the theory behind why this isn't pissing me off.

breaking supposed "rules", subverting expectations, evoking a positive yet indescribable response, causing listeners to dive further into their output and look for meaning: A Real Artist

personally, I'd just appreciate the mystery and awe

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

until a comparable alternative emerges, I like Bandcamp's layout for presenting an album with accompanying artwork on a single URL. it's not like Google isn't actively surveilling and thwarting unionization efforts among its employees, and soundcloud is privately held, with a lot of VCs in the mix

another option is cdbaby, which you could use to get your music listed on Deezer and embed your tracks on any webpage you like

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Rageaholic posted:

I don't know how true they are, but I've been hearing bad things about CDbaby for a while.

If you're looking to get an album on streaming services like Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer and more, I've been using DistroKid for 5 years now and it does everything I want it to with no issues. I've uploaded 19 releases through there so far and it's always been a breeze.

that's good to know. I don't have any first hand experience with CDbaby, just friends that have used them over the years. I'll make it a point to recommend distrokid for streaming until I hear otherwise, thanks

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I use Tunable on my phone and forScore on my iPad. neither are free though

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Anyone promising you increased royalties in exchange for money is looking for easy marks.

The people with actionable, profitable information about how to game spotify/streaming royalties as an independent artist are not going to share the information.

But have you tried getting signed by Universal, Sony, Warner, or EMI? I've heard their guys can really help with reach

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

For Score is a fancy pdf reader and doesn't do notation, unless you're like, using a stylus to write by hand. (Still a great app that I use almost every day)

I've used Notion on the iPad for notation back in like 2014-2016. It was fine. Supported playback and export, felt similar to Finale on a desktop.

But today I'd probably recommend Musescore or Sibelius, which are both industry standard, with lots of support and tutorials.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

I would be using a stylus. I have an Apple Pencil I'm gonna use.

Can you write sheet music and scores with Musescore? The App Store page sells it more as a sheet music sharing app than a notation app.

I went ahead and downloaded Sibelius but the reviews are a little shaky, and it looks like you have to pay a subscription fee to unlock some of the features. Are those worth the cash?

Sorry. I was being dryly sarcastic about forScore: it's a great pdf reader / editor, but it's as useful as a blank sheet of white paper for notation— you could draw a stave and scribble compositions, but it wouldn't have any functionality that one would want in notation software.

The desktop version of Sibelius is also a subscription model. They've gone the way of Adobe because SAS is simply more profitable. Sibelius and Finale are the industry standard programs used by actual music publishers to prepare physical and digital scores. My friend who prepared charts for the band of Jazz @ Lincoln Center used Sibelius, and I'm partial to their schema myself, even if they're kind of a scummy company.

I recommend messing around with what you can to get a better sense of what features are and are not important.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

My vote is embrace your medium; don't resist it.

Listeners enjoy authenticy and being surprised.

Focusing on approximately imitating something is wasted effort that could instead be applied to making the arrangement more creative and interesting.

Nobody likes Tofurkey at Thanksgiving, but a crispy honey ginger gochujang tofu stir fry? Much more appetizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I. M. Gei posted:

... there's no way to copy/paste passages from one file to another in Sibelius for iPad, is there?

I gotta type this whole 3-page, 8-part bitch out by hand all over again in another file, don't I? :smith:

EDIT: To clarify, I'm doing the vocals and accompaniment/background parts in two separate files so I can work on them and play them back independently, but I did that partly because I thought I could just copy/paste parts of one file over to the other, and I'm not finding a way to do that.

Avid has a Sibelius Tech Support forum that will have more users with domain-specific knowledge.

But could you not copy a save file entirely and then add or remove instruments as needed? It's cruder than highlighting specific measures to c/p but would likely still save time.