Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
I'm sorry for how stupid this question is: I'm doing vocals on a few RATM covers for a friends band, and it's been really fun but all the screaming is wreaking havoc on my voice. Can someone explain the "right" way to scream or link me to some good resources for developing a voice that doesn't poo poo out two thirds of the way through Wake Up?

I already quit smoking for this poo poo so I'm pretty much committed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Opening your throat for sure, and also use the same important feature of classical singing which is to really push with your diaphragm and let that do the work instead of pushing your throat into horrible shapes and chesting it.

Listening to the part of Wake Up that you're talking about (around the 3:40 mark I'm assuming) that's him pushing out hard with his diaphragm, hence why it's so short lived. The ones after the break are similarly him pushing at different lengths. I often recommend learning to scream at a whisper level so you learn the mouth shape, but then as soon as you feel you've got it comfortable to push with your diaphragm with your throat open then start doing it out loud before you get into the habit of whispering.

Thanks for this. We had a rehearsal last night and already I'm seeing improvements. My voice today isn't nearly as hosed as it was after our last practice and I even got through most of our set without feeling too raspy at the end. :)

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

gwaaargh posted:

Hey musicians: I'm doing some research on auditory processing, and, to cut a long story short, I need to create a range of synthesised instruments (i.e., use sounds that aren't associated with what a non-musician would call a traditional instrument). Can anybody recommend some good, free software that'll let me do this? Some people have pointed me in the direction of MAX/MSP and Ableton Live, and I will get round to trying the trials, but I think I'll need a permanent solution.

http://unfungames.com/mariopaint/

:v: