Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I play some mountain dulcimer. They're basically all hand-made.

You normally play with a noter and a turkey feather, but a slide and a pick (or just your fingers) also work. Generally you tune DAD or DAA, so in your case DDAADD or DDAAAA. You can finger the entire fretboard but traditional players only note on the melody string (the low Ds) and let the other two ring. If you want to play in a different key, tune differently!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how else you could learn

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

excellent bird guy posted:

Is there a thread to just post recordings that we wrote? it would be nice to just say, "I wrote this," or "Just recorded this piano cover of Threek theme from Earthbound" and post it without feeling like spamming a thread or something off-topic. I love to jam on whatever instrument, or learn a song, but I rarely record it or it goes into the void not knowing what to do with the track. Plus I'd love to hear other people's stuff that they are excited about and put effort into, that's sort of a large part in being a musician. I don't even really like talking about musicianship, it seems counter-intuitive as music is a thing that usually doesn't involve talking.

I post poo poo on twitter (@sajtdl) and slowly get more and more feedback so I recommend that. It's nice because the pressure is low, the time is limited, and it sort of goes away when it isn't new anymore

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

excellent bird guy posted:

I don't know how to use twitter. Its like talking into a void.

That's the part I like! It's sort of like not having accountability but if you throw some hashtags on you get some hits. Like, we tagged Ben Folds in a song and he said he liked it!

https://twitter.com/BenFolds/status/1299684054439088129?s=19

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
My wife found #DocsWhoRock which started as a way for doctors who play as a hobby to share stuff. It's expanded to include other healthcare workers, other doctorates, and stuff like people who are applying to med school. I'm not sure what other communities are put there but my earliest posts I just did poo poo like #ramones #badcovers #accordion or whatever and every once in a while got a hit. I also find people posting similar-quality videos, follow them, comment on poo poo, and tag them in my stuff. Other people are also looking for a similar outlet. I've done a couple online collabs with people I met that way, now.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Greggster posted:

I think just making a thread on this forum could be a great idea!

Did anyone make that thread yet? I'm trying to figure out music video technique now and I want to :justpost:

https://twitter.com/katefd5/status/1306811210311098368?s=19

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
In my experience, playing diamonds is playing chords on the one beats only. For bass, I would guess play just the root note on the one beat and in this case somewhere higher up on the neck

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
More than words

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I like to use a five-string bass when the extra five half steps will allow me to descend through an entire phrase instead of having to play an octave higher or jump up to a D or whatever. Like Mr. Blue Sky in the chorus starts on a D and ends on a Bb. I tune my low b string down a half step and then I can walk down the entire time and I like it better.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
It's basically the "main" note that melodic phrases resolve to and often start with.

If the song is structured I-IV-V those would be different in d mixolydian, e minor, and G major. You would use the same set of notes for melodies (and to construct the chords).

D G A

Em Bm C

G D Em

I might have miscounted something there but I think it's right. If you played the same basic melody over each one of these, it would have a different feel because of the interval between the bass note of the chord and the note you play.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I think E mixolydian is played with the A major scale. You actually use the chords made by the A major scale, as well.

I = A Maj

ii = B min

iii = C# min

IV = D Maj

V = E Maj

VI = F# Min

vii° = G# dim

But if you want it to be E Mixolydian, you shift/rotate/modulate it to

I = E Maj

ii = F# Min

iii = G# dim

IV = A Maj

v = B min

vi = C# min

VII = D Maj

And replace with those chords, then use the notes of the A major scale but start on the E

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
If you played it in E, it would use the chords of the E major scale instead which are slightly different but I'm phone posting from the shower as I thought of this clarification so you'll have to Google them.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding the "post here" because I'd like to learn it too

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I faced a similar question and bought a powered speaker but I run the mics through a mixer anyway because I have one in the room.

Is there a better guitar amp that has multiple inputs?
A good guitar player probably sounds good on the lovely amp too in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I know a lot of people who use MuseScore professionally and otherwise, but I don't personally have an opinion.