Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I really like "How Music Really Works" by Wayne Chase. It's a little windy at times, but covers the physics and then builds Western music theory on top of that, eg explaining why we have the notes we do, why scales are constructed as they are, why we divide time, and then gets into harmony and melody and songwriting using those blocks. I found it very helpful for getting "the language" to then help understand other materials. (The publisher sells direct; gently caress Amazon.)

Also don't forget that applying knowledge is a critical part of learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I don't know about piano, but on guitar I find around 45 minutes of focused practice is about my limit before I need a break.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

YouTube works, too. Can out them all in one video with chapter markers, or separate videos grouped into a playlist.