Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Zetsubou posted:

My local pet store employee told me to put vinegar or their butts when trying to reintroduce them but I don't know if I am going to do that / if that even works.

Unfortunately I got nothing on your problem, but I was just wondering about this one. Did he say why exactly you should put vinegar on their butts? To cover scent gland? That's on the belly, not on the pooper. And I was under the impression that the best way to reintroduce them to each other is to get them used to each others scents by switching them from one side of the split cage to another, so what does covering scent accomplish?

How have you split your aquarium by the way? Some sort of wire mesh contraption?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Last edit: Even though the Kaytee hay is super crappy, they were having so much fun after I cleaned things, I had to give them more and they are going crazy over it!

:unsmith:

That's cool in my book. You're a good person.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Boxes are a nice idea too since they are free...

Yes. Empty toiler paper rolls? Toss them in. Empty egg cartons? Toss them in. Empty anything-with-clean-cardboard? Toss them in.

Grats on your new waste disposal unit.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Apparently gerbils can be litter trained? I think I did it without trying. I found a slab of rock that I use to use as a decoration for my fish (no sharp points, bleached and sanitized to make sure) and they poop and pee on it, not all over it, just in one spot and near it, no where else on it. I'm going to clean the rock tomorrow and see if they keep going in the same spot.

Gerbils don't really need training and they pick an area to poop at on their own. Whether it's an area you agree with or not is completely inconsequential, poop goes there. Gerbils are quite clean creatures and don't like to sleep in their poop.

My late gerbils picked their food platform as poop storage. Constantly scrubbing that fucker clean was pretty cool :negative:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Pendergast posted:

My gerbils keep taking all their bedding from one part of the cage and piling it up on the other side of their cage. Not just a little, but the entire left half of the cage has several inches of bedding, while the other side is bare. I know they like building nests but I haven't seen them do this before. Granted I've only had them a few weeks.

Anyone got any tips for a nervous handler? They are fairly tame. I can stroke them and they don't run and one will come over and sniff my hand. I'm a pussy though and always take it away. They have nibbled. I'm just worried about them biting. I thought about a glove but they doesn't get them use to your hand really.

It takes a while for some to figure hand != food. Helps if you don't handle food before sticking your flappy sausages in.

And I'd guess they're just planning on filling the bare side of the cage with poop.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Gerbil point of view here, which are also something I can recommend as first pets since they are not exactly hard to take care of.

1. They're easy. Most effort requiring thing is cleaning their aquarium (don't get a cage if possible). Gerbils are desert creatures and don't piss and smell much, so a decent size aquarium can easily hold even couple weeks between cleaning. With some mini-maintenance, even longer if it's a large aquarium with a thick layer of bedding.

2. I don't have any minimum numbers at hand and don't want to pull them out of my arse, but like I said earlier, I'd recommend aquarium. Bigger the better of course. Height is a good thing here as you can dump a lot of bedding in there to allow them to create their underground empire.

3. You should get at least a pair. If the breeded happens to have 3 sisters or something, go ahead and take them all. 3 gerbs don't really require much more than 2.

4. I've never traveled with mine, but I don't see an issue there.

5. Your gerbs temperament and personality is very much in line with the caretaker. If your daughter is not going to be monstrous towards them, chances are they'll be cool. Some of mine have been bitey when young, but they've always grown out of it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

imbrium posted:

I was thinking they may be good, they seem to be diurnal and social. I kind of like the idea of there being 2 or 3 that play with each other (you mentioned 3 sisters, seems like most people say get multiple males of rodents as females can be aggressive with each other, are gerbils different?). I suggested it to the wife last night and she wasn't a fan. Too mouse-like I guess, I don't really get it, we'll have to discuss it more. I'm not worried about my daughter's temperament - she's a sweetheart though I guess she could annoy them with her love.

While they are social, note that they are still leaps and bounds more skittish than, lets say rats for example. Some patience and sunflower seeds are needed before The Hand is welcome.

Can't speak for other rodents, but gerbil siblings get along famously in most cases. I've had both male and female siblingpiles and they've never fought. And, well... too mouse-like? :haw:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

imbrium posted:

But you need to get same-gender siblings? And will the store know if they're siblings or not - is it assume all the ones in the same cage are related?

Absolutely same gender. That is, unless you want to have... many gerbils. Many.

You should ask at the store and make sure they are siblings and same gender. If they don't know, do your best imitation of :stare: and walk away.

You could also check for any local forums for breeders. That's a good way to get what you want. I'm not sure where you're from but you might be able to find some place where breeders post their litters and let you reserve gerbs for when they are old enough to move into a new home. That's a good thing as a new gerbperson as you can also have a chat with the breeder.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 13, 2014

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Rodent Mortician posted:

Typically if they don't know, they won't tell you they don't know. They'll bundle up 2 "girls" and let you discover the fun surprise for yourself. Just FYI.

It was a long time ago so details are eluding me, but I was pairing a new ~girl~ gerb (most likely from store) with a younger one whose buddy had died. I'm not a huge fan of unannounced surprise babies entering my life on any level, but there you go. One day there simply were 3-5ish red nuggets in the bedding. Two were still alive :smith: and lived. :unsmith:

It's for the best to learn to sex them yourself to be sure. There's a guide for searching balls over here.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Clone Farmer posted:

I'm so happy I have managed t outsmart her

The moment you have lived for.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Ursine Asylum posted:

And the fattest, laziest one was willing to pose in return for food.

Time for some good old fatshaming. Point, laugh and call him a guinea pig.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

It's a magical moment in any rodent keepers life when if your rodent stops making GBS threads and pissing you. The level of acceptance you feel is oodles beoynd any bonding between humans.

"This human is alright. I'll elevate him a step above my making GBS threads platform". BFF :unsmith:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Hamsters, Chinchillas, & Other Rodents Thread: Each piece of damage took them a handful of seconds

:gerbs:

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Question for chin owners; does anyone have a clue if chins can live in same room with a white noise generator without going haywire? It's not loud, but still, it's a constant background noise.

I've used one for some years now, first because tinnitus and afterwards simply because it helps me sleep. Personally I don't even notice it any more. Sometimes when friends come by they tell me to shut that hell engine down while I didn't really even hear it :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Hamsters, Chinchillas, & Other Rodents Thread: yesterday she poo poo her brains out while I was holding her

The rodent thread, one success story after another. I'm glad your creature is making GBS threads again, although it's pretty weird poo poo tbh