Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
So my fiance is a vet tech and they had a couple guineas get dropped off on their doorstep over night a few days ago. She's fallen for one of them and now wants to bring it home. They each have their own large pens, and apparently the male we're getting has a little hidey-hole in his pen that he can chill in. Heres my question though- we also have a couple of curious cats who like to play fight with eachother and chase small furry toys around the house. Are they going to attempt to devour this poor creature, or will he be fairly safe since he's not at all tiny? Do you generally let your piggies run around the house, or just pull them out to play with them? Do they have their own larger hamster balls or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I doubt there is another on the market large enough for a guinea pig, and I wouldn't recommend putting a guinea pig in one either.

I actually just talked to her and she just picked one up thats advertised for guinea pigs. We'll see how it goes! Thanks for the info.

Edit: Aaaand now that I've done my research, we're going to take it back and get a little guinea pig leash or something and take it out into the yard. They don't sound safe at all.

Heh just saw your reply down below..

TShields fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 22, 2010

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Seems easy enough. Yeah, we have a little house so the yard hasn't got anything special in it. Would they be uncomfortable in, say, 60 degree weather, or should I wait until its warmer to take them outside? We might attempt a leash or harness because we have an old post for a clothesline outside and we could tether him to that, but if he doesn't move then we'll get rid of it. I've been tempted to take my cats for walks with them trying to bolt out the door on occasion to visit with the neighbor cat that taunts them in the yard (they're strictly indoor cats), so I could use it on them too.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Conando (my new piggie) is happy now! We got him fresh bedding, got him a pen to run around in on the floor, and he's got fresh food. We've tried carrots and apples, but he won't touch them, but the vet told us to give him 250 mg chewable vitamin C tablets and cut them into quarters, and he gobbles them down. We're going to get a bell pepper next grocery run to see if he'll eat it, but we don't eat them ourselves and we don't want it to be a waste. He apparently eats broccoli happily though, but we haven't tried it at home. We're a little afraid my fiance and I are allergic to the pine bedding- we've both been pretty sneezy since we opened up the fresh bag. I'll try to post pictures sometime soon. Oh, and the cats are just curious of him- they sit by his cage and watch him run around, and if he comes up to the bars they sniff each other. The house is old and some of the doors don't shut well, so when we had him penned up in the kitchen the "hunter" cat forced his way in, but they just sniffed eachother and did their own thing, so I'm not too worried. I'm not going to let them hang out without supervision though.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

Is the pine bedding kiln-dried? If it's the brand that Petco carries with the black label, it should be, otherwise you should check. Raw pine can be harmful, and I'd recommend switching to either aspen shavings or Carefresh if you can.

Broccoli is okay in small amounts, but too much can give him gas - and yes, guinea pigs can fart. Try leafy greens, those are usually an easy sell. Romaine, green or red leaf lettuce, parsley, cilantro. Never iceberg lettuce or cabbage, too much water content.

Definitely watch the cats. I've seen plenty of cases where household cats and dogs took to a guinea pig just fine and became lifelong friends, but there have been bad outcomes as well.

Yeah it is. We got it from PetSmart, and it had a guinea pig on the front. Do the bags keep pretty well in storage? We got a massive bag because it was a better deal.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

I keep trying to snap a picture of him and he bolts into his hidey-hole. I can't get closer than about 5 feet before he runs from the sight of me, but he's adorable still.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

So when he makes little chirpy noises when I'm petting him, he's happy, right?

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Honestly, its almost like... clucking. Like a chicken absently making its little "cluck cluck" noise while strutting around. I was holding him while watching TV tonight and I guess I found his favorite scratching spot and he started making the noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

So apparently someone at the animal hospital got our piggie to eat broccoli, or it was written in his file that he liked it. Well, he won't touch it at home. Or carrots, or apple, or bell pepper, or anything other than hay or pellets. Is there a humane way to "make" him eat it so he knows he can, or if he likes it would he have eaten it by now? He'll literally eat around it if we put it in the same dish as his pellets. Oh, and he gobbles up the little sections of Vitamin C tablets we give him in a heartbeat.