Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Yay rodents!! Great companions for no-pet-apartment-dwellers like me :)

I was wondering if anyone knows a technique to stop bar-chewing from a mouse? I know Bitter Apple makes a small animal version of their spray, but I heard somewhere that their stomachs are very sensitive and whatever's in that isn't good for them. Same with hot peppers or anything like that. She has plenty of cardboard (and plastic.. I'd prefer she not but at least it's better than the bars) to chew on, plenty of space with lots of climbable stuff... I'm just confused how she's bored enough to chew on the bars. Constantly. While I study for finals.

Suggestions?? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

cruft posted:

Have you tried putting her in a glass aquarium? That's our plan for the gerbils anyhow, also notorius chewers.
I've considered it, but am not real big on aquariums. I used them when I lived with my parents and could hose them down in the back yard, but living in an apartment limits (non-pain-in-rear end)washing to the bathtub. This cage comes apart so it's easier to clean for me. Also the ventilation is better, and has a lot of attachments and extra compartments for happy mouse climb-y fun times. :)

I was hoping for something like "oh mice hate xyz vegetable! rub that on the bars!" but alas. If they don't like something it's probably because it's not good for them, or why else wouldn't they eat it? :/

I'll keep looking for interesting chewables to distract her. Come to think of it she's never had a wood toy before. I just remember with my gerbils, anything wood soaks up pee and isn't really washable after that. We'll see.

vvv I always rinse them out with soap and water even when it's weekly. I can imagine with just dumping bedding, the pee will accumulate pretty gross bacteria over time.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 16, 2009

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

RumbleFish posted:

You can buy metal holders either separately or packaged with a water bottle. It just hangs over the lip of the aquarium and holds the bottle in place. Most of them also have a guard to protect the bottle itself from being chewed on.
I recently moved my mouse into a large aquarium and bought a water bottle in the little holster that hangs - she has learned to climb it and gently caress with the lid. :suicide: One massive petrology textbook weight later and so far so good, but I should probably keep working on a better watering solution.

Lumi posted:

And what are the criteria for a hamster wheel to prevent this from happening?
A wheel with a bigger diameter would help. I remember seeing a video of a tiny baby mouse turning a huge wheel by itself - it's recommended that tailed rodents not have something so small to make it so they have to run with their tails curved over their backs - it was like he was running on a big flat surface instead of a circle. Alternately/similarly, saucer wheels are cool but take up some serious space sometimes.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Question: Do mice prefer lots of open space to run around in their cage, or tons of tubes and boxes, or just a middle ground?

I save all my TP and paper towel rolls and egg cartons, and they're starting to back up and I'm considering just throwing them all in there next cage-cleaning for an uber playground. But I have no idea how to tell if she's like "Weeee in and out and under and over and-!" or "Goddamnit I can't get anywhere in here!" :/

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
There. Of course she goes straight to the food bowl first. I didn't put everything in but hopefully she's entertained this week. :)

Click here for the full 704x528 image.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I posted earlier in the thread about my little bar-chewer - basically he's bored, it's the funnest thing he can think of, despite your offerings of wood, cardboard, cloth, and whatever else you can find. An aquarium with a fitted/locking mesh lid is your best bet. It's a little more awkward to clean, but I haven't looked back since I got mine. Ah, silence. :)

As for the wheel, he may not be able to turn it. Have you seen him try recently? You could try some different styles if he's a picky princess. I like this page for a list of types with reviews, but you can ignore the parts about tails obviously

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
If the idiot only got them for a class project, they were probably bought when they were snuggly babies, and are now only getting to the point where their hormones are kicking in. It's only going to get worse, males will kill each other from instinct. :(

From what I've read, to replace the need for companionship males need larger cages (splitting that setup in half is a good amount) with more enrichment and more out-of-cage play time. If you don't have a whole lot of free time/space to devote to that I would look into adopting one out. :/

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
It probably goes without saying, but anything and everything cardboard you might throw away, throw in their cage! TP/paper towel rolls are a staple, I like tissue boxes, packaged food boxes egg cartons (the holes are great) etc.
Just make sure to get any plastic films or whatever off of it first, and don't use any boxes that held toxic things like cleaners obviously.

And omg that chinchilla is so freaking cute. I've never touched one before, but I REALLY REALLY want to.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

killerwhat posted:

Ah ok, I didn't phrase my post very well. I know that hamsters are nocturnal. But it's always been my experience before that they wake up around 8pm and start running around the cage, going on the wheel, chewing on some bars or something, then they do that for at least a good portion of the night.

Well it is 1.45am here and hamster hasn't got up today yet (apart from when we forced her to). In fact during the week we've had her, we have not seen her voluntarily out of bed for anything beyond toilet/water/fetching food - not during the day, not at 8pm, 1.30am, 4.30am, 6am.

So as far as we're aware she is sleeping for 23+ h a day.

She has a wheel and various pieces of cardboard to play with, and one of those chew sticks.

We were worried so we took her to the vet today. The vet was a bit of a know-it-all sadly, anyway he said that she was perfectly healthy, just maybe lazy or nervous. Of course we had had to get her out of her nest to go to the vet, so she was awake for once and running around exploring. She explored inside smug vet's shirt :cool:.

So what can we do? Is it normal for a baby hamster to never get out of bed?? If she is too nervous to wake up, we don't want to hassle her into it or she might get more nervous.

How big is her cage? If it's possible to get something larger she might be more inclined to explore. It's been a while since I've had hamsters, but most rodents are pretty curious and like investigating things as long as they have some cover to hang around also.

What I do with my mouse sometimes is to set up a big obstacle course on a table. Cardboard stuff, old plastic toys/hides and wheels that I've phased out of her 'typical' cage setup, on top of a table and let her run around. Sometimes adding seed mix or fruit pieces around for her to hunt. I've never had a rodent jump from the table but obviously you have to supervise the whole time just in case!

Edit: How big is her wheel? Is she able to keep her back straight when she's in it? A lot of people buy wheels that are too small and she may not like how her back bends, or that her whiskers touch wheel out front or something. Just throwing out ideas :)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Does anyone have experience with mites? I'm wondering if my mouse has them. I use Carefresh bedding, and I've read that you're supposed to put it in the freezer overnight just in case it carried mites but I bought the humongo gigantic bag and it wouldn't fit so I didn't bother because I've never had a problem with it before.

She's scratching a lot and her fur looks a little thin. What do I do? :( If I throw out the old bedding/cardboard and wash her plastic stuff real well do you think it'll go away on its own? I'd really rather not have to find an exotics vet right now, I'm in a bit of a money crunch. Tuition is due soon and I can't find a job in this city I'll only be in for another 1.5 months.

e: Are they big enough to see at all? On second look it might just be one/two red splotches at the top of her back. Wondering if this might be a "hot spot" that I've read about happening due to too much protein in the food? Argh :/

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 17, 2010

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Serella posted:

This is the argument people generally use to justify buying animals in stores. Would you buy a puppy from Petland if for some reason there were none available in your area? It's not different. And all you're doing is encouraging the pet store to keep stocking chinchillas, as the one you purchased will just be replaced by another one to sell to any idiot off the street.

But you needed a chinchilla asap, right? Whatever justifies it to yourself. :downs:

Well the reason a lot of people hate pet store puppies is because there's already such an overpopulation problem with them that shelters are euthanizing them left and right, and they're horrible because they're adding more and more puppies to the problem. It's not the same thing with chinchillas because there are so few of them in his/her area. Besides, one purchase is a drop in the bucket for those companies, I think letting two animals (that are a social species) have an excellent life is much better than two miserable/lonely lives at the expense of .0000001% of the mill's profit that they're not going to notice anyway. It's not *the* ideal solution but you don't have to be such a complete jerk about it.

Still waiting for help with mites information... I've read a lot of different things and need help determining what's what. :( Poor itchy mouse!

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Rodent Mortician posted:

No, a lot of the reason people hate pet store puppies is that they come from drat dog mills. Guess what else comes from a mill?

If it was really a drop in the bucket, people wouldn't flip their poo poo whenever someone bought a pet store puppy. The real truth is that people don't get upset because it's not a dog or a cat -- it's just a rodent.

Guess what else? There are 10 chinchillas on Petfinder listed an hour away (or less) from Fairfax. I got this esoteric information by typing Chinchilla into Petfinder. Chinchillas are overpopulated, especially because doofuses keep getting male/female pairs because bonding males is so hard! :downs: I see 4-5 listed here every day (and I'm only about 5 hours south) and we get surrender requests almost weekly.

The problem was further compounded by this person buying a pet store chinchilla, doing absolutely no kind of quarantine, and then throwing his chinchilla in with it. Any infectious disease it's been harboring since the pet mill, any parasite, you've now exposed your chinchilla to.

The whole thing is kind of a cluster, but what's really disappointing is people coming in to white knight supporting a pet mill, because waiting another month to see if they could locate another breeder or investigate one of these many rescued chins was too hard.

I'm not white knighting the mills, I'm white knighting a pet owner who had good intentions and put a lot of time into trying to find an animal from a good source. If they had a flippant attitude and said "gently caress it, thems just rodents" then sure, go ahead and be a oval office. But this is the reason people hate, or avoid, PI (and probably get their animals from BYBs on their own when they otherwise might not have with help).

How hard is it to say "I found some chinchillas on petfinder.com near you, what are the odds that Petsmart will take a return? The reason you should do this is X, Y, and Z. Also, regardless of which chin it is, it is crucial that you quarantine the new one by [process] for [reasons] (link to reliable chin website on this subject). Good luck and let us know if you have more questions!" (i.e. Ish_Fish's post above was tactful and informative)

How responsive do you think someone would be to sarcastic hostility? When was the last time a poster actually did the right thing after being berated by all the furmommies in this drat forum? How many just straight disappeared and likely did the wrong thing? If you really love animals, use your brain and a little social skills and you'll have more of an effect on their welfare.

edit: I'd also love to see a poll of where every poster in this thread got their rodents. Oh, how the fur would fly!

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 21, 2010

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Is ivermectin a brand name or is it known as something else? Is it topical or added to food? Is the dosage on the packaging pretty accurate for weight/species? I'm gonna see if I can find it later tonight. (Err, is it sold at pet stores or just vets? I'm looking on Petsmart, Petco, and Pet Supplies Plus's websites and don't see it)

Right now I have a big ziploc of bedding in the freezer, and tomorrow I'm going to throw everything paper/wood out, put the plastic stuff in the dishwasher, and wash the tank with bleach. I might substitute bedding for old t-shirts for a while and wash and dry them on hot every day.

Any further tips?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm switching my mouse to a lower-protein food for hamsters and gerbils to see if the sore on her back is a hot spot and might now go away. (After weeks of treatments for mites, she has stopped scratching but still has a big sore that hasn't gotten smaller). The problem is that she LOVES her new food. So much that if I try mixing the old food with the new food, she eats the new and ignores the old. I decreased the ratio so that she'd eat more of the old stuff if she got hungry, but now she's eating her POOP instead of the old food. Any suggestions on making this transition without upsetting her system? Or should I just abandon ship on the old stuff altogether?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Old food:
"Carefresh Complete Mouse & Rat"
http://www.carefresh.com/products/pet-food/mice-and-rats/
Protein 18%
Fat 4%

...mixed with this because a friend gave me it when his mouse died:

"8In1 Pet Products: Mouse/Rat Food"
http://www.walmart.com/ip/8In1-Pet-Products-Mouse-Rat-Food-Premium-Pet-Mouse-Rat-Food-1.5-lb/10318434
Can't find the percentages online, but I think the protein was something close to 16%.

New food:
"Brown's Tropical Carnival Hamster and Gerbil"
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754662
Protein: 13%
Fat: 9.75%
The fat content is really high but I'm picking out the sunflower seeds which should lower it. This was a direct recommendation from the forums at thefunmouse.com which is the most comprehensive mouse site I've found. The protein is low which is what I was looking for in treating the hot spot.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Nereid posted:

Mice are stinky, get gerbils!
Maybe if you don't clean their cage! I clean mine once a week and all I can smell is regular unscented Carefresh. Though I've heard males are worse than females. For what it's worth, if you get males, it's 1 per cage no matter what, and females do best in groups. :)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
The best mouse in the world has passed away :( I would like to share her story, because I sure as hell am not going to be able to fall asleep right now.

In March 2009 I was browsing the Facebook marketplace because hey, free ugly furniture for broke college kids. I came across this picture in a "free to good home" listing.

Living in a no cats/dogs apartment, I was excited to see an allowed pet up for grabs, supplies included! But what the hell is all over her?
I sent a message to the girl listing it (girl also fosters a tripod pit bull, aww, animal nuts) and asked her what the hell. As it turns out, they found the mouse wandering around an apartment parking lot covered in acrylic paint. What the hell is wrong with people? There's a video on Youtube of her and her friend cutting the paint out of her fur, but the squeaking is heartbreaking and I do not want to look for it right now.
So of course I took her in, played with her, let her crawl and poop all over me and my things, and fell in love with little Mona (named after the Mona Lisa because of the paint thing, and also I had been calling her Missy waiting to come up with a good name - apparently Mona is vaguely Italian for Miss)
Mona was the only roommate I liked for the next year and she was a great stress reliever around finals. She was also a great ambassador for her species: SO many of my friends and family loved watching her and occasionally holding her. She never bit a single person once. I've had hamsters and gerbils, so this was a surprise. My mom referred to her as her "Grandmouse" :)

Over time I developed questions that I ended up asking at a mouse-centered forum. I was quickly yelled at for keeping a female mouse by herself - she needed at least one buddy to be remotely happy apparently. But that's troublesome to a college kid who's constantly changing leases and (will be) moving cities. If one in a pair dies you need to get another buddy for the living one, and endless cycle not really fit for me, or anyone who would have been able to take her in (Facebook listing was in a college town, honestly she's lucky not to have ended up snake food)
I keep kicking myself about keeping her as a single mouse for over a year, but I keep reminding myself that I gave her a really good life compared to her alternatives. Mice live 1-2 years, and I had her for 17 months. She was full grown when I got her, so that's a pretty long life right? She was also treated to the best available foods, treats, chews, and snacks thanks to my constant Googling about mouse care. She even was treated for mites a couple months back, something I daresay not many mouse owners would do.

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

All in all, I feel like we had a good run. I learned SO much, and I will probably opt for mice over any other rodent in the future. She will be dearly missed. RIP Missy Mona Mousie.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Gaj posted:

...the only thing habitat wise that Im worried about is getting a good wheel. Looking around robo websites and youtube, I get the sense that having the wrong wheel can be anywhere from bad to deadly for such a speedy little guy. Are there any wheels that have speed regulators or do any of you have any suggestions for an ok wheel that he wont get hurt on if he decided to pull a Sonic and make a full loop and fall off?

I like this website for wheel info: http://thefunmouse.com/info/wheels.cfm
Ignore the parts about tails, obviously. I think as long as he doesn't have his foot caught, getting thrown out of the wheel wouldn't hurt him much. If you're really worried, try spinning the wheels at the store and see which one is a little more resistant to turning?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Don't get a live animal for anyone without their knowledge, if you were planning on making it a surprise. If you want, get him a gift card to Petco and a little information book on Chinchillas in one gift box and have him decide on it and pick it out himself.

Can't help you on their care, the only chinchilla I've ever even heard stories about was when my boyfriend let his grandma take care of his chin for a while and she put kitty litter in its food bowl until it died. Don't do that :geno:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Wootcannon posted:

You'll notice I never said it was a surprise, that I'd read up on them, that nearly everyone in my family has kept a rodent of some description of another, and that I was merely asking for clarification on a few issues. What's with the hate? You'll also note I'm planning this out four months in advance, it's not exactly a last minute surprise because 'hey it's only a rodent' christ.

edit: I do understand this is a concern, but just because I'm posting for the first time in this thread is no reason to just go on about not buying it as a surprise and how I shouldn't buy it because obviously my flat is tiny and not address anything I asked.

Sorry, you said Christmas present. Most Christmas presents are surprises, so that's why I mentioned it. I also said "If", meaning if this applies to you, listen, if not, ignore. :)

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Bagleworm posted:

Has anyone every noticed an actual change in the length of life of a rodent that's bedded on softwood versus hardwood or paper-based bedding?
When I was little I had a gerbil housed in cedar but she lived to be 4.5 - my only rodent to be housed with cedar, and my oldest rodent ever. It has to be a fluke, or she just had awesome petstore-bred lungs. Oh how I miss Furry. She bit my friends I didn't like and was good for the ones I did. 15 years later and I feel guilty naming her that; I was so innocent back then.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Awesome Kristin posted:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pet/2178426831.html

Saw this tonight while looking at cute animals I can't have. I don't think they look healthy at all, and the person is breeding them. What could I say to this person that could convince them to just hand them over so I can help these poor guys out? I wouldn't pay this person money.

Why did they take a picture of one next to a geode? :psyduck:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Guinea pig lovers have likely already seen this since it's almost a year old on Youtube but I just found it and had to share :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4RqB-HjkdI
(Pit bull and guinea pig bffs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Too freaking cute! Happy birthday Howard! :) What's that cake made of?