Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Hardcastle
Sep 24, 2007
I've been internalising a really complicated situation in my head
I've just been given two 6 week old female mice and a basic mousey set up kit type thing. Looking forward to posts from anyone who has good experience with mice as I've never had wee babies before, only ever adult males. So far they're still really skittish and won't let me near them to touch them, but I have managed to get one (the more outgoing of the two) to snuffle at my finger when I put one through the cage bars (though she's only looking for treats haha).

I've also got two cats who are sooo intrigued with them! I know better than to leave them alone together, but would it be too stressful for the mice if I tried to get them used to the cats chillin' in the same room as them? Is that ever going to be possible? They get a bit panicky round the cats at the moment but like I said, they're a bit skittish anyway and even a sharp movement from me across the room still sends them racing into their house so I'm not quite sure. Is that normal for them at this age? I've had them here since Thursday (its now Sunday).

Also this might sound like a dumb question but, does a lot of what applies for rats apply for mice? Or are they more different than I think?

poo poo I'm tired, and I'm really sorry if this makes little or no sense. I would appreciate any advice/help though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Hardcastle
Sep 24, 2007
okay Pet Island I need some help...

I got 2 female mice from the pet store on 17 December.. I've been sitting in my room where the cage is today mucking around and hearing this squeak, which they don't seem to do much, so I thought I'd open up the cage and the wee house thing and take a look to see what the hell they're up to...

There are 2 little pink babies in there.

I'm really confused because now I don't know if I have a male and a female, or whether one was pregnant before I got her, or even which mouse they belong to. I don't know how long they've been in there, they look small. I cleaned the tank yesterday but decided not to take out the paper from their house cos they'd stuffed it so meticulously - I guess I know why now.

Anyway.. isn't 2 babies.. not many for a mouse? Do you think she's eaten some? or the other mouse has eaten them? Do I need to do anything special? I have so many questions... really didn't expect this to happen!

Anyway I'll go do some internet research but thought I'd check in and ask here first... any help would be really good. Thanks!

Lady Hardcastle
Sep 24, 2007
thanks guys, appreciate the tips... just gotta wait and see I guess! :shobon:

Lady Hardcastle
Sep 24, 2007
I don't know if there are any mouse experts in this thread, but if there are, I could really use some help.

One of my mice (Harvie) is sick or hurt I think. She hasn't moved much in the last 2 days, her coat (fur?) is looking dull and scaley, she is long haired and usually has a really nice soft coat. She usually makes a half hearted effort to avoid me when I put my hand in but this time she barely moved a muscle. She keeps squinting when she looks out of the house that she's in. I did pick her up and she feels a wee bit cold and when I stroke her left side towards her hind leg, she flinches and raises her left hind foot up. So I've come to the amateur conclusion that she's hurt herself somehow. She isn't moving much, just hunched up in a little ball. This is totally out of character since she is usually incredibly active (hyperactive most of the time), lots of jumping and climbing on the cage walls and roof.

Is a broken or hurt mouse leg treatable? or will my stupid NZ vet just laugh at me and tell me to feed it to my cat :(

For reference the other 2 mice are fine as normal. It is a bit cold here at the moment, so I thought she might just be cold, but given the leg thing and the fact the others are doing fine, I'm not convinced its just the cold.