Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I figured this would be the best place to ask this question.

My grandpa was handling my Panda Bear Hamster and he decided to leap out of his hands. He fell a good five feet and landed directly on his back. At first we thought he had broke his legs because he was walking and dragging his entire back part of his body. Being the weekend there was absolutely no way we could take him to the vet and frankly after being hit with a load of hospital bills regarding family problems we just didn't have the money.

We decided to wait and see what happens before we make any decisions. I kept a close eye on him and he has now began walking on all four legs once again and doesn't seem to be feeling any pain. He isn't limping or making noises when putting weight on the legs.

So now here are my questions. Is it possible that when he landed on his back he pinched a nerve which caused him to lose function in his legs temporarily? Also, what are the odds of internal injuries? We've had him for half a year now and we weren't exactly sure how old he was when we purchased him so odds are he could be towards the end of his life sadly.

I know I will probably get a load of messages saying to take him to a vet but sadly due to the random hospitalization of my grandmother we simply do not have the funds to spend on a hamster that ultimately cost us $30. Any help would be appreciated.

(Sorry for the wall of text.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Right, I understand it sounds absolutely horrible to say he is only $30. Normally he would have been out the door and to the vet as soon as he dropped but with the way the economy is and with the bills piling up we have to be realistic about what we can afford and what we can't considering I have three hamsters, three dogs, a cat, and a bird.

He seems to be fine for the time being. He finished all the food in his bowl and from what I can physically see of him he doesn't seem to be in any pain. He didn't come out of his log though, which he normally sleeps in, much last night. I assumed though that it was because he was probably still sore from the fall. I'm going to keep a close eye on him over the next few days and see what develops.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A quick update for those of you that were interested in my hamster who had taken a fall.

His apatite has increased and he is eating more. He has also began to come out of his log more. I have yet to see him run on his wheel but that could be because I just changed it earlier today as he was getting a bit to fat for his older one. Hopefully he will start running which to me would mean he is all good.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Noticed today that my Panda Hamster has a round scab above his eye. Originally I freaked out because the scab was black and it looked for a moment like it was his eye bulging out. The scab is completely circular and has what looks like some dried puss around it. Its directly above his eye so he can't open his eye while its there.

I know antibiotics is the best bet for clearing it up but on my budget spending money on a vet for a $10 hamster just isn't realistic. I've been keeping the scab and the eye moist by dabbing some water on it with a Q-Tip. Also put a bit of peroxide above the scab and on it. My mom suggested I dab a little vaseline on there as well to keep it moist through out the night.

Any idea what could be causing it and how serious is it?

Edit: Pretty sure my hamster is on its last legs. It hasn't touched its food or water tonight and when I open the cage to hand feed it or give it a treat it just curls up and makes moaning noises. I've had the Hamster for almost two years now which I understand is the average life span.

Gordong Dongbay fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 19, 2010

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Update on my Panda hamster:

He has been making screaching noises quite a bit. He was running circles around his cage while making this noise and then when I would reach in to pet him and see what was wrong he stops dead in his tracks like he is paralyzed almost. He has been doing this over and over again this morning.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SomeChump posted:

Jesus Christ, take your Hamster to a vet. Your hamster is clearly very distressed and in pain and saying 'well, it only cost ten bucks, medical care would be a bad investment' is just hosed up. Even if it needs to be put down, it's a drat slight better than letting it die a slow and painful death.

Well when you literally have absolutely no money to your name right now tell me how I'm supposed to scrape together enough cash? Its very easy to sit from a high horse and judge people isn't it? You are acting like I'm taking the thing out back and beating it with a hammer. Jesus Christ dude, I've done all I can do and all I can afford to do. I was simply asking if anyone else has gone through the same and what can be done outside of a vet visit to solve or at least make the problem a bit less painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nereid posted:

Please don't judge people for not having mountains on funds on hand at all times for small animal veterinary care, people. It is some of the most expensive out there, and a lot of vets know that they can charge out the rear end because of it.

Thank you.

Gordong Dongbay fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 20, 2010