Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

:neckbeard: Thank you so much for making this thread! It has definitely been needed, and I can't wait to see it become a great resource like the Rat FAQ.

My own areas of rodent expertise/interest are hamsters and gerbils, the latter of which I have four of right now. Because pics are what make these kind of threads so great, here are some of my guys.

These are my new boys I just got a few weeks ago. I'd say they're about 9-10 weeks at this point, and they're settling in nicely. This is a very boring and pedestrian picture, but I took it their first day home, and didn't want to bother them too much with the flash, etc. Calvin is the dark-eyed honey and Hobbes is the classic agouti.

Merlin (top, lilac) and Gandalf (bottom, spotted lilac). They're brothers and a little over a year old. They had some territory issues during their gerbil puberty, but they get along famously now. :)

Here are my girls, who passed on a few months ago and were nearing three years of age. They were sisters and loved each other to pieces -- they never had a single squabble and were obviously very in sync with each other. They were my first gerbil pair and will always have a special place in my heart.

Cinnamon is the argente; Sugar is the ruby-eyed white. :)

In honor of another rodent who recently passed, here is Rachmaninoff (Rocky for short). He was a cranky and neglected Winter White dwarf that I took in from an owner who didn't want him anymore. He was never very social and I had to do a lot of work to get him tame, but he was still a special little guy and I don't regret it at all.

Like most hamsters, he was a total lardo and very messy. :3:

Eager to see where this thread goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Decided to try my hand at an informative post about gerbils. Anyone else is free to chip in with their own knowledge, advice, or personal experience; I'm just drawing from my own. :)

How long do gerbils live?
Typically 2-4 years, though some have been known to make it to 5. A gerbil is considered elderly once they hit the two year mark.

How many can I get?
Gerbils are extremely social animals, so you MUST get at least a pair. Gerbils can be kept singly, but it reduces their overall quality of life and I'm willing to bet they don't live as long because of it. Females do best in pairs; males can be kept in groups of 3-5 if you so desire.

So should I get males or females?
I suppose it depends on what kind of personality you want from your gerbs. Females are the dominant sex, so they're more active and tend to be more aggressive with each other, which is why it's only safe to keep them in pairs. Males, on the other hand, tend to be very easygoing and are a bit lazy. (My guys are chubbier than my girls ever were!) Of course, as with anything else, there are exceptions to the rule: my female pair never fought, and my oldest pair of boys had a lot of problems before they reached adulthood. So I guess it comes down to personal preference, but generally speaking, the risk of de-clanning (viewing the other gerbil as a strange threat and fighting) is larger with females.

What should I do for housing?
Generally a 10 gallon aquarium is adequate, though if you're keeping a group of males, a 20 long would be ideal. I'd say that floor space is more important, but gerbils do seem to enjoy climbing. There are some neat wire "toppings" that you can get to extend a 10g vertically if you'd like to go that route.

As for wire cages, I think they'd pretty much be a horrible idea for gerbils. Gerbils dig around in their cage constantly, so the floor around them would be a perpetual mess. They're also big-time chewers, meaning many of them would gnaw relentlessly on the cage bars. But then again, I'm sure some people have had this arrangement work out for them.

What about substrate?
This is a universal rodent truth, but absolutely NO pine or cedar; the aromatic oils can irritate their respiratory systems and make them sick. Aspen or Carefresh are your best bet. I prefer aspen because it's cheaper, natural in appearance, and my guys love shredding the chips to line their nest. But either of those is a solid choice.

Also, since gerbils have very strong digging instincts and love to create tunnels/burrows, I'd recommend putting in a good 4-5 inches of substrate for them to play in. They'll dig to their heart's content no matter what, but I like to give them a little extra.

Cages should be cleaned every 2-3 weeks.

So what do I need for cage furniture?
Aside from your standard small animal water bottle, I'd recommend a ceramic food dish. Gerbils are constantly rearranging their environment, so a heavy dish like that won't be tipping over and spilling their food every five minutes. They also can't chew on it.

Like most rodents, gerbils prefer a safe place to sleep/nesting box. There are tons of products and choices out there, but I'd recommend a sturdy, wooden house. The igloos are adorable, but gerbils are relentless chewers and will destroy it. They'll chew up a wooden house too, but it'll take them much longer to do any significant damage. Be prepared to replace their houses every so often.

What about toys and other stuff?
I like to provide my guys with a wheel. I've heard that some gerbils don't understand it or care for it, but all six of mine have loved it and get some serious speed on those things. Likewise, I have a couple hamster balls around that I put them in when I'm cleaning their cages. A few of mine go to town, but others just kind of sit there and try to dig their way out. Your mileage may vary, but I considered it a good investment regardless.

Oh, and one last thing about wheels -- make sure you get one that is wire mesh. Gerbil feet and tails can easy get caught in the standard metal wheel with slats. A solid plastic wheel is safe, but won't hold up well with their chewing habits and tends to be more loud. Wire mesh is not only safe, but the squeaking can be easily corrected with a bit of Vaseline.

As previously mentioned, gerbils are huge chewers. All rodents need to chew to trim their teeth, but in my experience, gerbils are the most ravenous chewers by far. They will chew and destroy anything and everything they can that's within reach. You can make this easy for them by tossing in toilet paper/paper towel tubes, which is a cheap and instant classic for them. I also get wood bars/blocks from the pet store, as those take much longer to chew and are probably a better workout for their teeth.

Gerbils are master nest builders and will use whatever they can to bulk up their burrows, so you can offer them some nesting fluff. Be careful, though -- I wouldn't give them too much of it or too often. One of my hamsters got a stray cotton fiber wrapped tightly around his foot, which cut off the circulation and made it swell. Thankfully, I noticed before any damage had been done, but I'm sure it was still an unpleasant and traumatic experience for him. I haven't had anything like this happen with my gerbils, but it's something to be mindful of and watch out for. The safest bet I've found is scraps of fabric or the batting used to back quilts.

One of the best part about having gerbils is giving them sand baths. Because they are desert animals, they clean themselves in the wild by rolling and twisting around in dust. Domestic gerbils enjoy this too, and it's very fun and cute to watch. The sand used is the same as chinchilla sand, and rather than keeping the bath in their cage, I offer it once a month or so. (If I kept it in there all the time, they'd chew it and just poop in it.) You can tell when a gerbil needs a bath -- their coats start to look slick and greasy.

What about food?
I suppose this can be a bit of a controversial topic, but gerbils can be fed lab blocks, which is probably as nutritionally sound as it gets. I prefer mine to have more variety in their diet, however, so they are on a seed mix called Ecotrition. (Another high quality seed mix I've seen is Gerri Gerbil.) The important thing to look for in seed mixes is the ratio of fatty seeds to the other, more healthy bits. Ecotrition is my brand of choice because there are NO sunflower seeds and only a smattering of pumpkin seeds in every bag. My gerbils love it too -- they seem much less picky than the hamsters I've had.

Gerbils also enjoy a variety of vegetables, but I'd stay away from anything that has a high water content, as it can give them fatal diarrhea. I've also offered mine some fruit, though citrus fruits are toxic and it seems the list of gerbil-safe fruits is much smaller than that of the vegetables they can eat. So more often than not, I just stick to classics like carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower.

For treats and other stuff, I like to give mine alfalfa hay every now and then. I also give them Yogies, but very sparingly since it's pretty much rodent McDonald's. They love unflavored/un-buttered popcorn too.

Anyway, I'm not particularly well-versed on the ins and outs of gerbil nutrition, so someone else with more expertise is welcome to add their input.

So what are the pros/cons of gerbils?
Gerbils are VERY clean. They have got to be the least stinky rodents I've encountered. Because they don't drink very often, they don't produce urine very often either, which is really what makes rodents reek. They're also active off and on throughout the day and night, so you'll see them out and about quite a bit and they're fun to watch. In my experience, gerbils are also very friendly; I've never been bitten by one of mine, even when I deserved it.

As for potential cons, they're fast-moving and sometimes flighty creatures, so handling them can be a bit of an adventure sometimes. They're not often content to just sit and chill in your hands. They can also keep you up at night with their frantic digging and chewing. This has never bothered me, but I'm sure it would drive some people crazy.

Whew, okay, I think that's all for now. Other gerbil owners/fans, feel free to agree, disagree, add more info, etc. :)

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 17, 2009

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

cruft posted:

My wife and I are thinking about getting our almost-5-year-old daughter a pair of gerbils from our local shelter for Christmas. Aside from making sure she understands not to pick them up by the tail, and setting things up so she never carries them (kids tend to drop things), do the rodent gurus have any suggestions? A suggestion like "get a guinea pig instead" is also welcome :)

(Incidentally, how do shelters come by gerbils? Are they all surrenders? I guess at least they're not selling easter chicks anymore.)

I think gerbils are good for children in the sense that they're very friendly -- I've had six now and not one has bitten me. They're also active during the day, so kids can easily watch them and interact with them.

On the other hand, gerbils can be quite skittish and are also very fast-moving, so they're not as easy for kids to pick up and hold. Hamsters are larger and slower, so they're a better fit in that respect, but they're strictly nocturnal and tend to be bitey. If your kid wants to wake them up and play with them during the day, for example, there's a very low chance that they WON'T get bitten. Some hamsters are more tolerant than others, of course, but I've found they're a grouchy bunch in general. Some kids might not like having to wait until the sun is down to play with their buddy.

I love both hamsters and gerbils and think either is a good choice for children. I had Syrian hamsters growing up and they were great; I have gerbils now and really enjoy them. I guess it comes down to personal preference and what you think is a better fit for your child. (Of course, it goes without saying that you should supervise them anyway when handling.)

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Candida albicans posted:

Most aquariums don't come with a suitable cover for the top though so you'd probably have to make up something creative if you get one. I just glued together a wooden frame and attached wire mesh on it with cable ties. Easy and surprisingly durable.

You can also purchase mesh aquarium lids from a pet store for around $10 or so depending on the size of your tank. They're usually made with reptiles in mind, as you can buy hardcore clips to lock them down, but they're suitable for any critter and provide a lot of ventilation.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

robotsinmyhead posted:

Thanks for the bit on Gerbils. My girlfriend got one for Christmas as it's pretty much the only animal we can safely keep in our apartment. We'll definitely be getting a friend for him very soon on RumbleFish's advice. He absolutely adores the toilet paper tube too.

Awesome! I'm glad you found my information helpful. :)

When you do get another gerbil for him, I recommend using the split cage method to introduce them, since they will be strangers to each other. You don't have to build a special cage like the one shown in the instructions; I just used a piece of hardware cloth that I securely duct-taped to the sides of the tank. This is a safe and gradual way to get them used to each other, since mayhem could ensue if you just tossed Gerbil B in with Gerbil A.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

robotsinmyhead posted:

We've only had him for just over a day and I think we'll be getting his roommate today sometime. His cage isn't ideal (18"x12" 18" Tall), but it's ok as long as he has multiple levels, so I'm a little worried about floorspace for 2 of them and how to split the cage for a short time without confining them too much and providing them with food and water.

Any advice on that?

Like I said, we got him as a gift, and I don't really have the money to go out and buy an aquarium setup right now.

Hmm. Do you know how old he is? The younger he is, the better he'll take to a new friend, though I've heard that older males are pretty good with pups too.

One thing I'd definitely recommend is getting two of everything -- two food dishes, two water bottles (if that would actually work/make sense with your current setup), two places to hide. That way they won't have to compete with each other for necessary resources, and it'll save you a lot of potential conflicts.

e: Also, for future reference, an aquarium setup shouldn't run you much more than $20. You can get a 10 gallon for around $10, a wire mesh lid for another $10, and locking clips for as little as $2.

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 18, 2009

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

When it comes to the plastic habitats/cages, I've never cared for them. Well, I did as a kid, which I think is the intended audience. But they were fairly difficult to clean and take apart, and in my experience, they were extremely escape-prone. One of my hamsters was particularly determined and had little trouble bending wires or chewing through plastic when he set his mind to it.

Your mileage may vary, of course, and maybe they're more solidly built nowadays. But I stay away from those setups and just go with aquariums for peace of mind.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Megalodon posted:

An aquarium is going to be a lot easier to clean and probably cheaper.

Yeah, one of the worst parts about the plastic cages is how drat expensive they are. All the attachments and expansions are fun to play with, I won't lie; I sometimes go through that section of the pet store and reminisce about the setups I used to have. But paying $35+ for the privilege of building a clunky plastic contraption that my hamster can easily get out of is a little steep.

SubbyMinx: There are plenty of fun and exciting rodent toys that you can get for your guys. I enjoy picking up different things from the pet store to see how they'll react and play. It's fun to give them some stuff from around the house too, like paper towel tubes. You don't need a deluxe habitat to give them exercise and mental stimulation, if that's what you're worried about.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

My bad, SubbyMinx; I confused you for the poster who originally asked about the Habitrails/plastic cages. :)

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

robotsinmyhead posted:

Yeah I think we're done trying. They're gonna kill each other at this rate. We have 2 cages anyway, so it's not really a huge deal.

Yeah, while gerbils are very social animals and it is possible to introduce strangers, sometimes it's just not meant to be. Hell, sometimes it's not meant to be even when a pair has been together from birth or is related. Some animals, regardless of how social they're "supposed" to be, just don't play nice with others. In your case, keeping them with other gerbils would certainly decrease their quality of life and put them at a huge risk, so you're making the right decision even though it's not how gerbils are typically kept.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Man-Rider posted:

What is the excrement from dwarf hamsters like, and are they prone to having smelly cages the way some rodents are? I used to have a chinchilla and one thing I really like about them is that their poo is dried pellets that don't smell.

Dwarf hamsters also poop dry pellets, but their urine is absolutely rancid, especially because they like to pee in the same spot of their cage. All of my hamsters, dwarf and Syrian, have smelled terrible compared to my gerbils.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Lumi posted:

Two quick questions:
How are water bottles and other apparatus installed in an aquarium? Most of them that I see seem to be meant to be attached for cages and there seems to be no easy way to have it hanging.
And what are the criteria for a hamster wheel to prevent this from happening?

You can buy metal holders either separately or packaged with a water bottle. It just hangs over the lip of the aquarium and holds the bottle in place. Most of them also have a guard to protect the bottle itself from being chewed on.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Christ, guinea pigs are so cute. A friend of mine has three females and they are just packed with personality. I'm not sure I'd ever have any, but they can be awfully tempting sometimes.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Lumi posted:

Needless to say we didn't buy from there, but I'm just so surprised that pet stores with such inexperienced and unprofessional people and care for animals exist.

Sadly, it's not that much of a surprise. Some businesses are just all about the bottom line. :(

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Megalodon posted:

Gotta stop reading this thread. The boyfriend is never going to let me get a hamster but you guys are making me want one so bad. :3:

What's wrong with hammies? They're so easy to take care of!

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Using an aquarium works great for hamsters and other small rodents. Honestly, it's all I'd recommend. They won't drive you or themselves crazy by chewing constantly on wire bars and they can't throw stuff out of the cage to make a mess. Aquariums are also pretty drat escape proof and very easy to clean. You don't need to take them apart/put them back together like you would with plastic or wire cages.

You'll want to make sure that you get a lid with plenty of ventilation, but these are easy to find in pet stores -- the reptile section, in particular, usually has a good selection of wire mesh tops that you can lock on.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Pretty sure its a joke post since that looks like a prairie dog to me...

Yeah, that's a prairie dog. One of my local pet stores actually had one for sale recently. Cute as all hell, but :psyduck:

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

TLG James posted:

She does have a wheel in the cage. She does run all night. I figure she is still in her escape mode.

In my experience, some hamsters are always in escape mode. Of all the rodents I've owned and spent time with, hamsters are the most escape-prone and hell-bent on doing so. I've had lazy hamsters that were content to sit around, but I also had one that got out several times and spent the majority of his life trying to free himself. As long as she has a wheel and other stuff to play with, don't worry too much about her trying to get out -- just make sure she can't!

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

TLG James posted:

Has anyone ever bought the sand for Syrian Hamsters? I was reading that some like it, just like chinchillas, but I was curious.

I've never tried it with any of the Syrians I've had, but I've heard that on a whole, they don't "get it." However, I did give my Russian dwarf sand baths on occasion and he enjoyed them.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing the hamster wheel from sliding all around the bottom of the gerbil cage? It's one of those 10 gallon glass aquarium/snake things, and the wheel has a basic bent/painted wire base. Obviously I don't want to use anything that will get bit to hell, which excludes every material ever.

What kind of bedding do you use? I keep my guys on aspen and I just make sure that I've got enough in there to "anchor" the wheel. I've never had problems with it sliding around, but the base can rattle against the glass and make a racket if there isn't enough substrate.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Oh man, degus are so awesome, thanks for posting yours! I'd love to own a pair one day, but they aren't the easiest critters to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

TLG James posted:

Does anyone feed their hamster or gerbil any mealworms?

I haven't, but I've read/heard they love them. I'm not sure I'd offer them regularly, but they might be nice as a treat every now and then.