Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

:siren:http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm302546.htm?source=govdelivery :siren:

Kaytee recall for salmonella :(

How utterly unsurprising, considering they're the worst pet product company pretty much ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

I think Hartz may still have the edge on that one.

I concede the point.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

oribiasi posted:

I have a pet hamster (Teddy Bear hamster) who is a little over 2 years old and just tonight she started dragging her two legs behind her as she walked and acting lethargic. Needless to say, some members of my family are concerned.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is this the end of Hamlet, the hamster? :/

Take your hamster to the vet.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

oribiasi posted:

I would, but its 10:08 PM EST here and I work a regular M-F job. Sucks.

I've been to the vet at midnight more than once. And I work a 9-5 too. No one here can tell you what's wrong with your hamster, and no one's going to try and guess. I'm not sure what you're looking for.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Rodent Mortician posted:

But really "I have a chinchilla and it isn't dead yet from what I'm doing" isn't really saying anything other than you have a live chinchilla. I have a six year old foster chin that ate ferret food for three years and didn't die. :(

:stare: How.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

D'awwwwwww he naked

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Cold_Ethyl posted:

Hi guys!

Got a question for you hamster owners, I was in our local petshop and they have an adoption section where they put pets people don't want any more or pets they can't sell. They have an adorable syrian hamster there who I love and am seriously thinking of adopting. The only problem is that the reason she's up for adoption is because her eye sticks shut every day and they can't sell her, she's a pretty young hamster and the lady said the vets have tried all kinds but her eye just sticks shut every day and as a result you have to bathe her eye daily (I don't have a problem with doing this)Anything likely to be wrong with the hammy that the vet has missed? She's been there for a few weeks now and normally hamsters get snatched up pretty quickly and she looks like she's getting bored and antsy :( if I get here is there anything I could do for the eye besides bathe it? It doesn't look like an infection and googling only brings this problem up in older hamsters

I want to call her J Bear :3:

I doubt they've really tried much in the way of treatment, if it's a pet store. Probably bought some drops and said welp that didn't work. Pet stores are notorious for doing the bare minimum to ensure the health of their merchandise, unfortunately. If you do adopt her, you might find that a vet can do something for her.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Ishkibibble_Fish posted:

I have twice gotten "Are those rats?" :wtf:

Makes me wonder, do people only know of like two or three animals total? "Hm, not a dog, cat, or giraffe. What could it be?"

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

The only guinea pig my family ever had that drank a significant amount of water had severe kidney issues. All the others drabk very minimally. Several pigs would share one bottle that didn't need to be refilled for days, and only then to make sure the water was fresh.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Zetsubou posted:

So I have 2 gerbils, one which is kinda bitey but is pretty good at being social towards people, which isn't a big problem to me, but the other gerbil I'm having a little trouble with. Basically, I have a hell of a time trying to get her out of the aquarium. This is pretty strange to me because she is not shy at all, if you put your hand in the aquarium, she'll be the first to sniff and touch it, however, she will not give you the chance to pick her up by walking on top of your hand like my other gerbil does. She is also quite adventerous when she gets out, as she'll climb all over you and stuff. So my question is; is there anyway to make her more comfortable with being picked up, or this just normal gerbil behaviour? I really hate trying to pick her up with almost any means (I never pick her up by the tail though.) One last thing is that she doesn't really mind being in your hand either after you pick her up weirdly enough.

Most small critters hate being picked up because DEATH FROM ABOVE :byodame:. Instead, try luring her into a small basket or wide pvc tube to transport her out of the tank. It's what lots of guinea pig people use since piggies run when you try to pick them up.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Back to chinchillas:

I confirmed their Christmas lodging but the place suggested I bring my own cages for them since they're not sure if they'll have an appropriately sized kennel for them (they were going to stick them in cat kennels but they were worried they might be able to sneak out through the bars). The problem is they both live in chinchilla mansions from Quality Cage that are way too big to fit in my tiny car. Does anyone have any suggestions for portable cages that they could live in for a week while I'm gone?

I still have my ferrets' old cage for travel purposes since it fits in my car, whereas their two-story FN cage doesn't. It's one of those cheap plastic-bottomed cages with a wire top that folds up, and is about 3 or maybe 3&1/2 feet long. Not optimal for full-time anymore since they don't spend as much time out of the cage as they used to, but it works for traveling since I bring them on a lot of vacations. I'd recommend picking up a decent small cage like this (Petco is having a 15-40% sale on cages right now) that fits in your car fully assembled (or at least is easy to break down and reassemble) and keeping that as their travel cage.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

It's a Lavos Spawn.

:hf:

Malalol posted:

We've got the cutest pig at work and I dont even like pigs. I love this thing.

Can anyone tell me what breed she is? All Ive got so far is... long hair. But..peruvian? Sheltie? I dont know. Shes black...but it has a very weird sheen to it (unlike black dogs/cats where they might look brownish in the light), shes very silky and it seems more grey/washed out in the light. Very satin coated. Shes so soft!!!!!!!!

It's a cutie pig. That's a fact. :colbert: That is not a fact.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

e: I should add, her original owners fed her nothing but pellets and would force her into a hamster ball and kick her around their house like a soccer ball according to the people I got her from, so I'm trying to both fight her natural instinct to eat fatty food and my own desire to spoil her rotten after what she's been through.

Oh my god, who do this? Even as a dumb kid I would never have made an animal into a soccer ball. Poor ham. :smith:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Why isn't that illegal?

Because they're just mice, man. :downs:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

cuntvalet posted:

Aww I think Jenna is getting used to being handled a bit more. She let my mom pet her the other day. :3:

Also is it normal for a guinea pig to be really happy when certain people are around? She's fairly happy when I'm around especially with food, but when my boyfriend comes over she goes nuts, wheeking and popcorning and everything. I think she likes the voices he uses when he talks to her?

Does he give her treats? We used to have a guinea pig that knew my uncle's voice because he was a giant sucker who made it rain veggies on her. Just hearing his voice would send her into paroxysms of joy -- or more likely, anticipation of food to come.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

robotsinmyhead posted:

I need some advice:

My gerbil is probably in his final days - he's over 3 and a half years old and he's recently gotten very sluggish, not running in his wheel, his ears are laid back, looks like he's lost some weight, and it looks like he's breathing harder than normal. He's still eating and drinking, but he's just sort of zoned-out and a sleeping a lot.

Is there anything acutely wrong with him that I can help alleviate?

You'd need to take him to a vet to find out. Animals don't just die of "old," there's usually an underlying condition. He might have time left in him, or it might be kinder to have him put to sleep if he's in pain or very uncomfortable. Either way, a vet visit will be able to help you figure it out.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Captain Hilarious posted:

A few days ago I got two Russian Dwarf Hamsters called Quark and Odo. This is their home (Deep Space Nine):

And this is them:

Odo is the one sitting outside the security office (wooden hut), while Quark is the one nibbling away at Odo's security office (wooden hut).

So far Quark is fine exploring, although he doesn't seem to know how to use ramps for going down, only going up. If he needs to get to a lower level he'll just lean over the side gradually until he flops down. I'm slightly worried about Odo, as he doesn't seem to like moving very far from his security office (wooden hut), but hopefully this will improve once he's settled in.

They both sleep in the security office (wooden hut), but they also both do the toilet there. Is this normal? I thought they would always go elsewhere for the toilet. I've tried moving their soiled bedding to a different area to encourage them to pee there, but that doesn't seem to be working.

I wish your pics weren't broken because this is the best post I've ever read in PI. Please tell me Quark has big ears.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Thanks, but we're in California.

Unfortunately it is a large area with loads of thick brush. Had a few people email me saying they were going to go take a look for him in the hopes of scoring the reward I offered. We'll see, but I'm trying to not get any hopes up. It's really tragic.

I would try setting out something that smells like the other pig, with some hay and fresh veggies. Put it in a little shoebox hut so he has a place to hide and doesn't feel the need to run anywhere when he hears a noise. A pigloo would work perfectly for this, with the benefit of already smelling like home.

Good luck catching your little dude.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

cuntvalet posted:

So life with Cecil the guinea pig is awesome except for one thing.

He seems to have a knack for projectile peeing. In that I'll sometimes find little puddles of urine outside of his cage. On the hardwood floor of the place Im renting.

So my two questions are:

1. Should I put some sort of edging around the bottom of the cage to help eliminate this?

2. What are good methods to help remove guinea pig urine stains from hardwood? I've tried diluted vinegar, hardwood cleaner, hardwood conditioner and for the most part lightened the stains a bit. What else can I try? It doesn't even have to be perfect I just don't want my landlord to think that I trashed the place.

You can use puppy training pads around the cage. They're absorbent, but have plastic bottoms so they don't leak.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

My wife's old pigs learned the sound of the refrigerator opening and would start squeaking as soon as the door got opened.

We never had a pig that didn't learn the sound of the refrigerator. One even squealed every time she heard my uncle's voice when he visited because while he lived with my family for a while, he'd stuff her full of veggies so his was the voice of the Food God.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Benya Krik posted:

This is Mothra. I haven't had hamsters since I was a kid, but this one went home with me within approximately ten minutes of dropping by the animal shelter to get a copy of my cat's adoption papers for the vet. NEVER AGAIN! :argh: It's been over a month now and she really is a sweetheart...except for her unfortunate obsession with gnawing on the bars of her cage, which is both obnoxious and possibly leads to brain damage (if my obsessive internet research is to be believed). I don't want to positively reinforce the behavior by taking her out every time she does it, and I'm not sure how safe it is to put bad tasting gunk on the bars of the cage. Does anybody here have experience with rear end in a top hat hamsters?

Have you tried Bitter Apple Spray on the bars? It might prevent him from chewing on them because of the taste.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

You could try putting Mothra in an aquarium instead of a cage.

And if you do this, make sure to keep it extra clean since the smells can't escape as easily.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Oh my god give me them I will love them and shower them with kisses forever :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Zhundult posted:

I'd buy that if they did it at any other time, but it's only when they see their snack coming that they ever chew on bars. We've had small wooden chew blocks in the past for them, and they've no idea what to do with them.

Yeah, all the guinea pigs my family ever had chewed on the bars when snacks were arriving, but no other time. It was just an excitement thing. After all, how else will the humans know they want that lettuce?