Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

RurouNNy posted:

What used to be Chins-n-Quills is now Chins n Hedgies. Chins-n-Quills used to have really good information, experienced owners/breeders and sellers with chin appropriate toys, treats, etc. This new site was spun up by previous staff of Chins-n-Quills when something happened to the original forum. Hope this helps.

Oh man thank you so much for posting this! I used the old site to research Chinchillas and eventually found a breeder on there to get mine from. Now she lives with my mom but I still like to look for toys and info so I can help her out with proper toys and care.

Content! My boyfriend got me a tiny robo hamster for Christmas because I have always had a small caged pet and recently I have not had one so I've been missing it. (Like I said I had a chinchilla, rat, hamsters, gerbil, mice.)

I read that they are good in pairs or groups so I was considering going to the pet store he got her from to get a buddy for her. Is introducing another hamster a big ordeal? Like is it pretty much the same as chinchillas?

Pics! Her name is Bitey, but she doesn't bite. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Still curious about adding another hamster in with the one I just got.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Awesome Kristin posted:

Content! My boyfriend got me a tiny robo hamster for Christmas because I have always had a small caged pet and recently I have not had one so I've been missing it. (Like I said I had a chinchilla, rat, hamsters, gerbil, mice.)

I read that they are good in pairs or groups so I was considering going to the pet store he got her from to get a buddy for her. Is introducing another hamster a big ordeal? Like is it pretty much the same as chinchillas?

Like I said it is a robo hamster and I read they are better in pairs or groups. I just wanna hear some advice and see if that is true.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

CagedLiberty posted:

Robos definately enjoy the company of others as a general rule. I have four and thankfully they get on wonderfully. They playfight a lot but I've never had any injuries except one small scratch to the nose. However, there is a smaller chance that some don't get on. A serious injury like bites of the ears or tail resulting in blood is something you have to watch out for - robos who don't get on have a penchant for attacking rears. Try to check that both are eating - sometimes one can scare the other off.

If you do introduce a second, do it sooner rather than later whilst your ham is still young and new. Robos I find are good stimulation for each other, which is great for a pet like robos that often don't do very well with human interaction. However, you must be prepared to permanently seperate them if they do fight seriously.

Thanks a bunch for that! I have not done it yet and it's been since Christmas that I have had Bitey. Unfortunately due to recent events I just don't know if I can afford the bigger space and addons two hamsters might need or a separate cage in the event they don't get along.

I suppose I will just have Bitey alone.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Hey guys. Quick question. I have a robo hamster that won't use her dust bath but is looking rather oily. Is there anything I can do for her?

Edit: I'm sorry about your loss Fewd. :(

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I got a new camera that can take decent macro shots so I want to share some of Bitey.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Awww. Makes me miss my chinchilla. Sadly I had to let my mom take care of her.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I took some more Bitey pics for you.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I'd like to add that you should do as much research as possible. From what I've seen there is a lot of misinformation out there and even pet stores will tell you things that just aren't true.

Don't buy the "chinchilla food" from stores unless it is only pellets. Any of the foods with corn and peas and random junk in it is just terrible for chinchillas and can cause nasty digestive problems.

Also, as with any rodent, watch what you put in the cage for odor control. Any woods with oils can harm their respiratory systems. I don't remember the safe ones but I'm sure someone here knows. I would try the paper looking stuff first, but watch if they eat it or not.

Another thing is plastic. Tons of stores sell those cages with plastic tubes (for ferrets) as well as those chinchilla igloos and other toys. They chew like crazy. The hay you give them helps a bit, but for the most part you need to get sticks for them to chew on. If there's plastic in the cage they will probably chew on that and possibly get it in their system. I'd stay away from plastic. There are plenty of wood and chinchilla safe toys/hideouts to choose from. I'd also not leave the dust bath in the cage all the time. This keeps them from chewing the plastic, as well as from bathing too much and getting really dry and dirty.

When choosing hammocks and stuff make sure it's fleece sewn by someone who knows it will be for chinchillas. If it is cotton an not made properly, they can chew it up and ingest the string and fibers from it and cause problems.

And about multiples. As with any rodent, definitely try to get them already bonded. Chinchillas are picky and there's no guarantee they will like each other. So get them together or be prepared to have two cages and two different playtimes.

They may not like really loud noises but they love to see what's going on in the house and get bored quickly. If you have them in the livingroom or where they can see things going on they'll be happier. As long as it's not loud all day every day since they're mostly nocturnal. Mine used to love watching tv and would bark at me if she got bored or lonely.

Sorry if I went over obvious things or if you already did all that research. Just want to make sure more chinchillas are happy. There are too many impulse pet store chinchillas that are miserable in one story super pet cages eating junk food. :(

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Hoplosternum posted:

Eeeeeeeee Max & Osker are so cute, I want to cuddle them to death.

Do chinchillas like being handled and cuddled?

That all comes down to individual chin personality.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
If you're going to be gone for that long at a time I would definitely recommend having someone knowledgeable come by every day or so to let them out for play time. Chins need at a minimum an hour a day outside their cage to run around and play. They get bored pretty easily, plus you want them to be getting good exercise.

As for travel, I would use cat carriers to bring them by car anywhere. And you have to make sure the temperature is around 75F or less since they can overhead really easily. You might not have to order the pellets online if you can find a feed store near you. Sometimes they have big bags of food for good prices. Mazuri is the brand everyone recommends but Oxbow is good as well. Never get Kaytee brand anything. They are just horrible when it comes to quality.

Also, unless you have a good specialty pet store I would order the dust online. The stuff you see at petsmart is too coarse and doesn't clean them very well. Blue Cloud dust is pretty much the standard when it comes to chins.

This place has the brands you need so you can see prices of stuff.

http://www.chinworld.com/

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
The website that Ishkibibble_Fish posted is where I learned everything I needed to know, as well as found a breeder to get my chinchilla from.

I'd recommend looking at toys and accessories that the people on there put in the classifieds. I got all kinds of neat packages of random toys for Boo, as well as her favorite thing ever. Her fleece tube. She wouldn't touch her hammock after I got this for her.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Oh no one's mentioned this but if you get males, be prepared to see them... well.. pleasuring themselves.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
The females get all lovey and frisky when they're in heat, haha!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

pokie posted:

Speaking of which, how do you clean the cage and how often?

I'd just empty the shavings or whatever you use for bedding and replace it completely. Probably best to do it once a week or so but you can usually tell when it looks like it's getting too messy or there's too much poop.

They poop a lot.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
This stuff works well as long as they don't eat it. I used wood shavings and it wasn't expensive at all.

If they pee in one corner then you can clean that spot up more often than the full cage and just add a handfull of new bedding to that and you might be able to put off cleaning the whole cage a bit longer but the poop really builds up.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

pokie posted:

Hm, like which vac? Those can get extremely expensive and fast.

A hand vac works too as long as it can pick up some hay and poop.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Master_Jay posted:

Ahem. Welp, I broke down and bought myself a hamster. What breed is this? Kinda big dude.

Click here for the full 720x608 image.

omg it looks like a ground squirrel!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pet/2178426831.html

Saw this tonight while looking at cute animals I can't have. I don't think they look healthy at all, and the person is breeding them. What could I say to this person that could convince them to just hand them over so I can help these poor guys out? I wouldn't pay this person money.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

drat Bananas posted:

Why did they take a picture of one next to a geode? :psyduck:

I went ahead and emailed them saying if they can't find a suitable home and absolutely need to get rid of them, then I would take them in. The absolute first thing that needs to happen is for them to be separated.

They look like they need a diet change and to be brushed a little as well. I also see a ton of plastic and no shelves in that cage! UGH.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Hey guys, I want to share my newest family member, Charlie! I adopted him from a craigslist person who had only done half her research. His cage was bare and full of wire and I'm super excited to fill it with fleece accessories and tons of good toys for him.

The first thing I did was change his diet and had my husband put together some wooden ledges to get rid of the metal ones with ramps.

I love his curly tail and he's such a sweetheart.

Old setup

New shelves

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Glasgow posted:

5 day old chinchilla at our shelter. I'll just leave these here.

Click here for the full 1520x2032 image.

Click here for the full 1520x2032 image.

So cute! I wanted a baby chin sooo bad but I went ahead and got adults from Craigslist instead. Do you have any pictures of the baby with it's mom? Or is she not around?

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Glasgow posted:

Curse you!

Technochilla loves shiny things.

Click here for the full 539x720 image.

But seriously, Diesel tries to eat my face metal.

Click here for the full 539x720 image.

I can play the cute game too.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I have more cute to post too!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I switched to a fleece liner today. I hope they learn to use the litter areas because this will make my life so much easier!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Glasgow posted:

I've managed to hold them and clip their nails, but it's such a long, squirmy process, I think a quick once-over with the emery board should do the trick.

I dunno where you've got the cage, but if you put it in a high traffic area at like, eye level, they'll get used to human presence. My set-up is on the friggin coffee table right now. The girls pretty much wanna hang out with each other and ward off all humans. When I open their cage in the morning for food, they wake up in attack mode and it takes a minute for them to calm the gently caress down. So, I can put them in a little pen and let them run around, and eventually they will climb on me and be cool, but they will not simply sit still to be picked up, and if I'm in their cage, they are eating my flesh. Such are hamsters.

Haha! That's why I got chinchillas! I mean, yeah I have cats and a dog but nothing is cuter than rodents. My hamster is pretty much as cuddly and interesting as a fish. But my chins love attention and get to jump all over me when they're out of the cage.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Succ-U-Bus posted:

Reading this thread makes me want to own a pair of pigs, but I have to wait until I no longer live in a flat. :(

I used to volunteer at a shelter called "Pets Corner" (UK side here...) and the piggies were my favourites, especially when they're chirrupers. As a non pig owner, I request more piccies please!!!

Why would anyone ever choose a guinea pig over this?!:

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Penguins Like Pies posted:

I'm looking to adopt a chinchilla from the humane society in about 3 months. I've done some preliminary research and read parts of the websites/forums that have been posted so my boyfriend and I think we can handle a chinchilla.

Here are some questions I have:
1. If I have the option to choose, would it be better (health wise, cost, temperament, etc.) to get a male or female?
Females have a tendency to spray (urine) when they feel afraid or are upset with you. They also go through heat and get all lovey during that time. Males need hair ring checks every couple months. Usually they take care of cleaning themselves but if you see them messing with their privates too much it means you need to pull out the penis and remove the hair yourself. Temperament is pretty much random and doesn't have a lot to do with sex.

2. I'm in Canada (specially Alberta), so can someone give me an average of how much they spend on the vet every year?
Can't tell you about Canada but in the US the average exotic vet checkup is anywhere from $45-$100 USD depending on if you go to a good one or not.

3. For a cage, I've been noticing that people use the Ferret Nation style cages, so the ones that are off the ground and with casters and a shelf underneath. Is that okay? I'm worried that the wire ramp would be inappropriate for its feet.
The Ferret Nation is the one most people get. Be sure to remove any ramps or plastic shelves that may come with whatever cage you decide to get. Also it's fun to make your own wooden shelves and ledges and it saves money too.

4. If I go away for a weekend and I can't get someone to chinchilla sit, can I just enough food/water out for it?
For the most part people will tell you not to risk it. They can have all kinds of things happen if you don't check on them for more than a day. They could slip and fall and break a limb, the water bottle could start leaking. This is for pretty much any bigger pet though.

5. Is there any way to prevent them from chewing on baseboards, cords, etc. when they're out of the cage? I want to be able to let mine run around but since we'll be renting a place, I don't want to cause any unnecessary damage. So should I just cover everything fleece when it's out or just give my chinchilla a play pen to run around in?
There's no way to stop them. It takes just a moment of them near the wall and a chunk of paint is gone. Lots of people use a playpen or just line the walls with flat cardboard boxes.

This is the site to get all your information. Some of the people there can be a little "crazy chinchilla lady" but for the most part they just want your chin to be happy. There are sections with tutorials on how to make shelves and fleece accessories as well as a classifieds area where you can have someone make it for you.

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/index.php

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
The second chinchilla I adopted to be a companion to the first came from a home with a young kid. He spent the first 3 years of his life in that house and I am his second owner. He bites HARD! I don't know how to break him of it but I figure it's because they didn't handle him much and when he was handled it was probably the kid being rough.

I hope your sister's chin ends up being happy some day.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Penguins Like Pies posted:

Can chinchillas run around on a carpeted area? Or will they chew the carpet?

I happen to currently live in a house that has a bathroom with a carpet. I hate it but I can tell you that the chins don't even give any notice to the carpet, just any wood that is jutting out.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Rocket Wizard posted:

Anyway, has anyone else had a problem like this. I'm terrified since the vet used the C-word as a possibility because of her age. Has anyone had a situation like this where they seem to be eating but aren't gaining/keeping weight?

Do a search or post in this forum: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/index.php

Sometimes they can be a bit blunt if you're doing something wrong but these people are experts and really care about chinchillas.

Good luck.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

Hi there!

Hey! I have a couple suggestions for controlling temperature since I live in a desert. Fleece is something you'll want to use in the cage for things like hammocks and hidey places and stuff. You can also make a fleece pouch to put a water bottle in. Fill the bottle up with water and freeze it, then stick it in a fleece pouch so they can lay next to it.

Something you can find at pet stores is a little granite(?) slab called a "chinchiller" and you can put it in the fridge for a bit and back into the cage. Just don't put it on a really high ledge because chins are assholes and will push it off.

The best cage that most chin owners recommend is a Ferret Nation or Critter Nation. You can stack one or two levels and fill it with custom ledges and hammocks and random stuff.

Since I can't afford a ferret nation I went ahead and modified the cage one of my chins came with. It wasn't appropriate at all and had wire shelves and a wire bottom. I removed the bottom grate, and the shelves and added my own wooden ones.

This is what the cage looked like before. Definitely a terrible cage for chins.

And this is after some really cheap modifications. (that plastic food bowl is gone now)

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Yeah I understand your pain. One of my chinchillas bites all the time and hates attention. I don't think he'll ever not try to bite my fingers off.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I just want to clarify that my chin that bites came from a bad home. He was 4 when we got him and a little boy was allowed to play with him (from what I heard it was rough handling), and his conditions weren't great either.

I do what I can for him but he's just so grumpy.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I'd like to add that sometimes cat saliva has a bacteria (I don't remember specifically, I read it on the chins and hedgies forum ages ago) that can infect chins and kill them very quickly.

If you're worried your cat won't leave the cage alone I'm not sure what to tell you. Even a scratch can infect them from what I've read on the forums.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
When I introduced Charlie and Oscar it seemed like they were chasing each other and making lots of noise but not actually biting. I followed some advice and put them in a small carrier together. What I saw was Charlie trying to hump Oscar. Since I know this can be a dominance thing even in bonded pairs I just let him "get it out of his system."

Ever since then Charlie has been dominant but they get along great. Sometimes one will bark at the other for some random reason but they cuddle and sleep together. I got lucky though and didn't have to adopt Oscar out and try another chin.

My favorite picture of them:

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Oh she's tan! Look at those freckled ears. I hope she works out for you. Do you know everything you need to know about introductions?

Also that cage is severely lacking in fleece. I'd get a tube and some hammocks asap.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

I e-mailed them back saying "both of those are toxic to chinchillas!" and have been all over amazon :)

Here's a site I have used before.

http://www.chincessories.com/index.htm

I've even emailed them asking to just send me a random variety box of stuff worth a certain amount and they're happy to do it.

Other sites:

http://www.simplychintastic.com/index.html

http://camphorchins.com/

Also the classifieds section on the Chins and Hedgies site has people selling food, dust, hay, toys, treats and random stuff all the time. In fact last week I got a 20 lb box of Blue Cloud for pretty cheap from a member there.

Awesome Kristin fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 9, 2012

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

So if the stars align properly and I make the appropriate virgin sacrifices, I'll hopefully be getting a job in California. I live in Virginia, so getting out there is going to be an adventure.

What's the best way of getting a chinchilla from one end of the country to the other? A week long road trip in the summer doesn't sound like fun times for the little guy especially if my car craps out in the desert (a distinct possibility), but putting him on a plane and airport stress sounds equally un-fun. If I could teleport him I would. My parents are willing to take care of him for me if I decide not to put him through the stress of moving (they've already offered, they love their little fuzzy grandchild), but I'd rather have my little buddy with me.

Has anyone done this? I know he'll survive, but I'm just worried about his mental well-being.

I've never done it myself but I know it gets done all the time. I've even seen "chin railroads" put together by a group of people.

Honestly ask here and you will find people who have done exactly what you're doing. They should have the best advice for you!

I feel weird posting about that site a lot but honestly if you ignore the weird "crazy chinchilla lady" syndrome some of them have, you can learn so much since a lot of them are breeders and care so much about chinchillas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I think he needs more time to settle in. Give it a couple more weeks, or even up to a month. Also outside time isn't generally recommended right off the bat. I guess they need time to feel safe in their new space before they're let out to play or something. (It's also supposed to be a quarantine time)

Though if he seems to be doing fine, just keep up what you're doing. Definitely don't try to put them together for a couple more weeks though.

When you get to the point of introductions, you can try releasing them in the same room, or keeping the aggressive one in a small cage (like a show cage) and put it in the larger cage so the non aggressive chin can sniff around and sort of be in charge of the interactions.

Another recommendation is to put them both in a cat carrier and take them for a car ride. The stress of the new environment and atmosphere can cause them to ignore each other and "bond" in a way. But I don't know if it's the best idea since you don't know if the new guy has ever fought before.

I think the best way to introduce them is in a neutral place though. And if they do get along in the neutral place, be sure to change everything in the cage you're going to keep them in so it seems like a totally new cage.

I did think Charlie was trying to attack Oscar when I introduced them. After I waited a moment I realized Charlie just wanted to hump him. He still does it every now and then when they're playing in the bathroom, but it never has been as violent as the first time.