Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Here is a thread where people post pictures of their hedgehog cages. There are also FAQs on there for anything you might want to put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I don't have a lot of advice for taming her, but I do have some for getting her out of the cage without too much stress for now. I had a robo that never liked people, so what I did was get a tupperware container she could fit in with some bedding. Poke holes in the lid and put some treats in the container. Hold the lid close to the top with enough room for her to get into while tipping the container toward her. When she climbs in just lower the lid and set her aside to clean.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

w8wtf posted:

Ugh, those wheels suck. I don't know why some people use them. The hedgehog has to run at a ridiculous angle. One hedgehog I took in came with one. She kept running tilted at a 35 degree angle on her new bucket wheel for a while until she got used to being able to be upright.

A bucket wheel is what you want.

That's actually a funny image.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
She doesn't try to chew the stuff on top of the cage? I swear Oscar will eat anything. I can't leave anything within reaching distance or it will be destroyed. He even ate the freaking wall behind the cage. THE WALL!!!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
If I get a mouse or gerbil again I think I'll go nuts with the cage. Fleece hammocks and pouches, wood bridges or branches to climb. I think bird toys work well depending on how much of a chewer you have. Basically I'd give them lots of places to hide and climb.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Do you have a big tupper-ware container you can place her in with some bedding and food? It won't hurt her to be in a small space for a day. Also you can get a q-tip with warm salt water and gently rub it on the outside of her eye if it's getting crusty.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Oscar and Charlie have been in their cage forever and still manage to miss a jump, landing with their little arms clinging to the shelf and eventually falling down. It's scary and hilarious.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Those ears! Wow. Maybe they just look big because they're pink.

Does anyone else have a chin with a curly tail? I don't remember if I've shared a picture of Charlie's tail, but it curls around like a little pig tail.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

She's done growing. She's about 4 :) She's part bunny.

That reminds me! Every time someone new comes into the house or meets the chinchillas (certain friends, or maybe the maintenance guy or whatever) they always ask "Aw are those bunnies?"

What's strange is that they automatically pick a type of animal to guess instead of just asking what they are.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Frobbe posted:

but drat does he look weird.

I'm sorry but your hamster looks like a zombie.

OMG super cute and gross babies! Congrats!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
He could have some sort of rash. Maybe email a vet office send that picture you took along with a description of the problem and see if they get back to you. I'd also try googling to see if anyone else has experienced something similar.

That might be why he looks so odd in that picture you posted. His skin looks unusually red, but I'm not an expert so I didn't know if it was a problem or just the way he is. I'm really sorry you're going through this. I know how it feels to go through the process of discovering something like this. Good luck.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Wow.... so we brought one of my chinchillas in to the vet for a foot infection. The thing I'm posting about isn't that though.

He weighs 664 grams! They put it on the printout as 1.46 pounds.

loving fatty. I'll try to get a good picture to show off his rolls.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Yesterday I found Charlie cuddling up to Oscar's lifeless body at the bottom of their cage. I don't know what happened. He was being treated for a foot infection and seemed to be doing so much better. I was devastated. I wish I could have been there to comfort him and I feel so guilty that I haven't been giving them much attention lately (I just had a baby).

Now I'm worried about Charlie. He wouldn't leave Oscar's side up until my husband took him out. What do I do for Charlie? Should I plan on getting him another companion in the future? I need time to mourn but I want to do what is best for Charlie now. I don't want him to become depressed. My mother is coming to help with the baby this weekend, so it is a good opportunity to give him lots of attention and I'm thankful for that at least.

I still can't really believe he is gone. He was my fat grumpy fuzz butt. I hope I can get over this soon, because I need to be emotionally better for my son.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Oscar was about 4 or 5 and Charlie is 3 I think. I adopted them from Craigslist. Charlie I got first, then I got Oscar shortly after from a bad home and got him back to full health until his foot problem started.

He started out so grumpy and would bite pretty hard. He was raised in a home with a small child who was allowed to play with him. Eventually he ended up being more social than Charlie and had so much personality.

I'm going to continue to try and give Charlie more attention, but I still don't know what to do about whether or not he needs a companion for the future.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I think it's closer to the lifespan of dogs.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Oh you're an alpaca? =P

Thank you for uploading those pictures. That is just too much cute!

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
I've heard lots of chinchillas like tv. They also like to people-watch. I don't see how it could hurt anything.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
If you want to read more about chinchilla stuff from us, go ahead and click the question mark under my name as well as Aquatic Giraffe's name and read the posts we've made in this thread. We've made some replies to other people asking about chinchillas in the past.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How is Charlie coping on his own, by the way? Poor little fellow.

I can tell he has a lot more energy than before. Also, before I got Oscar, Charlie used to really enjoy scratches behind his ears and on his chest. As soon as Oscar came along he seemed to stop enjoying it so much. Now I can tell he really wants attention because he resists those things a lot less and is actually accepting attention again. He's a little but more intense with his people-watching.

Unfortunately with a newborn this is a tough time to have to give him MORE attention. I know it was out of my control and seems selfish to say, but this was the worst time for something like this to happen.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Based on this thread, I'd never have thought of Chinchillas as quiet staring animals.
I guess they find you all more fascinating then the stuff in their cages?

They will put their little hands up on the bars and stare like crazy.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Hey this might be a long shot but I figured I'd ask anyways. It really pains me to type this... Does anyone live in or near Vegas that might want to take in a chinchilla? Please message me or let me know here. I can go into further detail then. I'm so sad making this post. :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Back when Oscar was alive he'd do everything more than Charlie. His poops were bigger too. He was about twice his size and age so that's always what I attributed it to though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
So I don't have chinchillas anymore. Don't worry, Charlie is ok and in the care of a close friend who I trust. I just didn't have time to let him out every day. I miss him like crazy. I've honestly never gone a long time without some kind of little caged pet so I feel like there's a hole that needs to be filled.

I was thinking I could get something that maybe doesn't require being handled all the time in order for its life to be fulfilled. Something like the furry equivalent to a fish tank. Maybe two mice or a dwarf hamster or something? My husband is completely against it but I need a tiny fizzy creature. It's driving me crazy.

Convince me it's wrong or tell me how simple it would be to have something less needy than a chinchilla or rat.