Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Awesome Kristin posted:

Like I said it is a robo hamster and I read they are better in pairs or groups. I just wanna hear some advice and see if that is true.

Generally Robo's can be kept in same sex pairs or in groups. Although, I had three males when I was little and they fought constantly it was never really serious; just lots of squeaking and an occasional scab. They had plenty of room (a 15 gallon) but I think I would make sure there was multiples of most things like food sources and hides to discourage fighting. Mine generally fought going into their hides or when I put veggies in their cages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

drat Bananas posted:

I'm not white knighting the mills, I'm white knighting a pet owner who had good intentions and put a lot of time into trying to find an animal from a good source. If they had a flippant attitude and said "gently caress it, thems just rodents" then sure, go ahead and be a oval office. But this is the reason people hate, or avoid, PI (and probably get their animals from BYBs on their own when they otherwise might not have with help).

How hard is it to say "I found some chinchillas on petfinder.com near you, what are the odds that Petsmart will take a return? The reason you should do this is X, Y, and Z. Also, regardless of which chin it is, it is crucial that you quarantine the new one by [process] for [reasons] (link to reliable chin website on this subject). Good luck and let us know if you have more questions!" (i.e. Ish_Fish's post above was tactful and informative)

How responsive do you think someone would be to sarcastic hostility? When was the last time a poster actually did the right thing after being berated by all the furmommies in this drat forum? How many just straight disappeared and likely did the wrong thing? If you really love animals, use your brain and a little social skills and you'll have more of an effect on their welfare.

edit: I'd also love to see a poll of where every poster in this thread got their rodents. Oh, how the fur would fly!
My favorite part about it is how wrong it is when it's someone new to PI but if it's regular it gets glossed over as if it's not a big deal. Never change PI <3

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008

LAWLandMine posted:

Well when you literally have absolutely no money to your name right now tell me how I'm supposed to scrape together enough cash? Its very easy to sit from a high horse and judge people isn't it? You are acting like I'm taking the thing out back and beating it with a hammer. Jesus Christ dude, I've done all I can do and all I can afford to do. I was simply asking if anyone else has gone through the same and what can be done outside of a vet visit to solve or at least make the problem a bit less painful.

If you can't afford to take it to the vet, try calling around and explaining your situation. I know my vet doesn't charge to euthanize small animals, in order to encourage people to put them out of thier misery instead of letting them suffer.