Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I would personally gas them. Especially if you've been feeding them. They are going to make awful pets, and setting them free might either end up with them back in your house or eaten by a predator because they don't know how to live outside of your house. I'd also be concerned that they carry a parasite or something that could get at your rats :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I would actually worry more about chewing. Since that wood is from Ikea, it is treated and sealed, and as long as you don't let pee puddles sit on the wood directly that issue should be nil. (I would recommend just putting a bath towel or something down, underneath the Carefresh or whatever you use.)

However, if the hamster chews on the wood, then you CAN get pee smell into it. As long as the insides are smooth, I don't really see anything wrong with it. It does look very nice. :3:

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

What makes you think that they can't use it? A shallow dish of water would be fine, but will end up dirty in a short time. Make sure it's heavy enough that they can't tip it over or anything.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I put a rough decorative brick thing from Home Depot under my water bottles. It keeps the edge off. Alternately you could smooth them with an emery board instead of clipping; she doesn't have to be as still for that.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I have to agree. Has anyone seen Goosemoose's rat forum? :aaaaa:

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Wootcannon posted:

You'll notice I never said it was a surprise, that I'd read up on them, that nearly everyone in my family has kept a rodent of some description of another, and that I was merely asking for clarification on a few issues. What's with the hate? You'll also note I'm planning this out four months in advance, it's not exactly a last minute surprise because 'hey it's only a rodent' christ.

edit: I do understand this is a concern, but just because I'm posting for the first time in this thread is no reason to just go on about not buying it as a surprise and how I shouldn't buy it because obviously my flat is tiny and not address anything I asked.

Nobody said they hated you! It's just a bad idea to get it as a surprise, that's all, and so your boyfriend should know about it before it comes home. It's really not fair to him to get him a living, breathing, eating, pissing and making GBS threads responsibility for his birthday. ^:shobon:^

came to post this

:aaaaa:

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Goldirocks posted:

Teacup gerbils!!! :supaburn:

i'm hilarious

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Yes. And they change their 50% color on Sunday mornings so if you get there while all the good people of the world are still in church/bed, you can get all the half-off towels. :)

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Definitely mice! Beets is probably pregnant. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

ethan posted:

That fast huh?

I mean, we have the time/space to look after a litter...but do we want to? I don't think so.

This probably sounds really horrible, but I bet you could find someone willing to humanely euth the babies for some small snake or something to eat. Because rehoming them is probably going to be difficult.

Here's to hoping that you mis-sexed them! :shobon: Gestation is around 20 days, so after about 3 weeks if she hasn't popped she's not going to. You'd probably be looking at like 5-10 pups.