Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MollyMonster
Jan 28, 2009
I've posted his guy once before, but here are a few pictures of Gus the Chinchilla. I got him impulse (I know, I know) from the Humane Society almost 4 years ago, which makes him about 7 years old now. He's still going strong. I'd really like to get him a friend, but am not willing to have another cage if the two decide they hate each other. So Gus makes do with stuffed animals. I'll have to take a picture of him sleeping with one...he's somewhat adorable. :)

These first two are with his new hay house. It was destroyed within hours, go figure.

Mid-bounce!

And running on his wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMonster
Jan 28, 2009

Megalodon posted:

To MollyMonster, how social are chinchillas?

If you get the chinchilla(s) from a good breeder, they will have been carefully handled from a young age and should be pretty social, though there are always exceptions. Gus is very social with me and likes being scratched behind his ears, but he will turn his back on my friends who try to pet him. I think they're one-person kind of pets.

MollyMonster
Jan 28, 2009

drat Bananas posted:

...I have no idea how to tell if she's like "Weeee in and out and under and over and-!" or "Goddamnit I can't get anywhere in here!" :/

This thought cracked me up. Why not go for a middle ground and see where she spends more time?

MollyMonster
Jan 28, 2009

chinchilla posted:

They also say chinchillas don't like ramps and slides, which is bullshit. Ramps, slides and jumping on and off of things are her LIFE.

What a fun home for her! You inspired me to renovate Gus's cage -- he's always had shelves and tubes, but now he wants ramps and slides! I gotta ask, do you ever worry about the spacing of those bars? I was told that chinchillas can break their legs from bouncing off the side of the cage if the spacing is big enough for them to get their foot caught in.

MollyMonster
Jan 28, 2009

chinchilla posted:

Where'd you get the wheel? We tried a few, but they were unsteady and Dusty wouldn't go near them.

It's a ChinSpin. http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_19&products_id=1802

They also make Flying Saucers which look extremely cool. However, the Quality Cage rep told me that chinchillas are most likely to adapt to flying saucers when they are babies because the learning process might involve flying off a couple times. Since Gus is a dignified adult, we opted for the no-learning-curve wheel. :)

We've had it for years now with virtually no problems except for replacing the bearings once. ChinSpins also have an high resale value, so even though it's kinda expensive, it's worth it. You see them pop up on the Chins&Hedgies forum from time to time, usually around $40 plus shipping.