Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Would a pair of male gerbils have enough room in a 10 gallon aquarium tank? My little brother has one, and I'm trying to convince my parents that at least two would be best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Ok thanks. I sent the gerbil faq to my parents, hopefully they'll see the light and get my brothers gerbil a buddy :)

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I picked up three gerbil boys yesterday and have a couple questions. Unfortunately I had to pick and choose between some that were in different cages, so I'm going through introductions right now. Are there any methods to make the process go by easier? There's two larger boys and one who's pretty young yet. The two larger ones seem to be doing some light dominance quarreling which I expected. How long should that last, and how do I know if it's going beyond mere dominance and straight into never-going-to-get-along fighting? I just don't know how long it should take for them to decide whether they're going to be buddies or not :ohdear:

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Ok thanks for the suggestions! How would I go about it since there are three? It's only the two larger ones that seem to be the problem, would it be ok to leave the smaller one in there on either side so long as the others leave him alone?

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Niemat posted:

I picked up three, young gerbil sisters the other day (the lady helping me with the adoption didn't know their age because the people who brought them in didn't provide it--the people apparently also didn't know male + female = babies, and that's why my three girls were there), and I was wondering how I could interact with them positively? They seem really small in comparison to other gerbils I've seen, so I have to believe they are actually fairly young. One of them is so afraid of me, she'll just freeze where she is if I put my hand in the aquarium, but I'd like to get to a point where none of them mind my presence. I've never had gerbils before, so even basic "getting to know you" advice would be appreciated!!

The link Rodent Mortician posted up the page ror me has a good guide for handling and getting more familiarozed with them. the whole site is pretty handy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Ugh you guys I just came home to find my gerbils fighting :( They've been getting along so well the last few months, ever since I did the split-tank screen introduction. They groomed each other and slept together and everything. Now I think that's shot, because one had drawn blood. I don't think either of them are hurt too badly, as I couldn't really find where they had broken the skin. If I do, is there any kind of antiseptic I can put on it so it doesn't get infected? Obviously if it looks real bad I'll take him in, but if it's an in-home looking thing I'll just treat it here. Any idea why they would mysteriously stop getting along? I've read that once blood is drawn they never reconcile their grudges, so it looks like I'll be rehoming one as well as I don't have the space for two set ups. I feel like it's my fault somehow. Man, today sucks :(