Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Is there any reason this would make a bad cage for a dwarf hamster? (other than my immediate concern of getting pee all soaked into the wood if hammy likes to dig). It looks really cool, but it seems like there must be something wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I picked up my adopted hamster today! It was a 2 hour drive each way, in the snow to get her, but (unbelievably) she was the only female hammy available anywhere nearby.

No name yet, so I'm open to suggestions. The short-list includes "Toto", "Kitty" and "Frak", but I'm not really in love with any of them.

She's a total escape-artist and almost got out in the car within about 5 minutes, so I had to keep an eye on her the whole ride home (luckily I wasn't the one driving).

She really likes to sniff through these holes in the wheel and it's disproportionately loud!

Hammy butt!

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

CagedLiberty posted:

Aww!

How about Pompom, Mishka, Coco?

It turns out she's a bit of trouble-maker so the name in the lead is currently Ruby; partially from Supernatural (currently mid-season 4), partially a Wizard of Oz reference, and it's also my birthstone.

Which leads me to a question already. I have her in a large Habitrail cage, made up of two main rooms and a bunch of little things off it. She keeps chewing the plastic!! The tubes that connect the rooms, but especially the door which she already knows is how she gets out. I know hammies love to chew, so I've got wooden blocks all around the cage but she doesn't seem interested at all. How do I dissuade her from chewing the plastic parts?

On the upside, she's the first rodent I've ever had that doesn't immediately pee when I let her run in the ball. She was in it for almost an hour today and didn't pee/poop once!

EDIT: Also I could swear I've seen pieces that allow you to attach an aquarium to the habitrail tubes but I can't for the life of me find one anywhere. Am I just making it up or is it a real thing?

KasioDiscoRock fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 27, 2011

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Stalizard posted:

Unfortunately, the hamster has learned how to open the door. The cage is also situated at the top of a shelf, about 4 feet high, so we really don't want the hamster falling from such a height. Do you know of any ways to secure the door that the hamster can't chew through? Or is it time to invest in an aquarium?

Edit: The front door, not the hatch thing on top. That is already ham-proofed.

Well poo poo. I don't have any advice for you but I was just looking at getting something like that since mine has already figured out how to open one of the doors of her current Habitrail home (the pink part in the photo). This isn't very good news.

EDIT: Though that's a great solution!

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I got my hamster from a rescue and she's awesome. She wasn't in a shelter though, she was raised in a foster home for about 3 months before I adopted her.

As for pet store hamsters, my cousin when I was a kid was one of the unlucky ones who purchased an already pregnant female. THAT was interesting.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Is it normal for hamsters to change sleeping habits based on the weather?

Ruby is just under a year (I've had her for 6 months) and everything else seems fine; she's still eating, drinking, and runs in her ball, she just seems to be sleeping longer than usual. I haven't changed anything except about 10 days ago I gave her a peanut butter treat block that she'd never had before. It's been pretty hot outside lately, and our A/C was broken for a bit so I could understand her sleeping more then, but now that it's working again the temperature in the house isn't really any different than it was before.
Should I be worried?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Emergency Squid posted:

I'm still a relatively new hamster owner, this one is the second I've owned so far, so forgive me if this is a silly question.

Is it normal for a hamster to sleep outside of its house? It seems like half the time she just curls up and falls asleep right in the middle of her cage instead of going into her house.

It's been my experience that a hamster will sleep wherever it drat well pleases. Sometimes the place that they normally sleep will suddenly be abandoned for no apparent reason and they'll pick a new place to be their bed. I wouldn't worry about it at all.