Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Can I ask how much male pig neutering cost?

We adopted two female pigs from the shelter a couple months ago. And, of course, one came pre-loaded with 3 extra pigs. My kids are now angling for us to keep the two boys. We are already keeping the girl because I’m a sucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m considering getting our male guinea pig neutered :ohdear:

He’s one of a litter of three that our old female (from the animal shelter) had. I thought we’d done everything right: took the babies to the vet twice to be sexed, right after birth and at 3 weeks old, and then separated them. But it’s obvious now that one of the ‘boys’ is a female and that she’s pregnant. Which sucks because now we’ve made more unwanted pigs. The other options for our poor, lone boy besides neutering are to give him away, or have him live in a separate cage, but I don’t like either of those.

It’s just that I live in a big city that doesn’t really have a great guinea pig vet. I’d feel terrible if something happened to the little guy. He’s a delightful little vermin and we’re all attached. No way I’m using our current vet.

Anyway, just venting.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
The local shelter (well, next city over) has a price listed for a guinea pig neuter on their website, but they have a lot of poor customer reviews for their other animal neuters. I feel weird calling them interrogating some poor receptionist about their vets’ experience with small mammals.

I’ll try the list of recs, thanks!

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I live in Denver. If anyone knows someone…

Got quotes from our local ‘exotic’ vets who seem to actually have real experience in small mammal surgery: around $500 :ohdear:

The Boulder Humane Society has a price of $250 on their website for guinea pig and rabbit neutering. Reviews talking about sloppy neutering and spaying for dogs and cats. I mean, it’s the budget option, I get it. But our little guy… :ohdear:

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m happy to report that our guinea guy was neutered about 12 days ago and is doing well. The incest babies were born and are also doing well. They’ll go to the no-kill shelter when they’re weaned at 21 days or so.

https://imgur.com/a/DsBjcNZ

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

yes, too bad they’re abominations in the eyes of the Lord

They are :3: They’re all curly like their dad/uncle. A couple of them have extra toes, too.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I’m afraid the kids have already named them: Bumblebee, Lucky Foot, Dove, and Kiwi

I like the Hapspig Dynasty. I think their grandparents were also probably related, since their grandma was dumped pregnant at the shelter. Hopefully the sick little rodent family ends here. I’ve tried sexing them (pressing and all) and I just can’t tell the differences or they’re all the same sex. I’ll take them to our new vet before they’re weaned so I can make sure they’re separated before any more inbreeding happens.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Those pigs are super obvious! The babies are just so small.

Our old vet didn’t do the push test or anything, he just sort of glanced at them (two times). But, to be fair to him, I agreed with him based on two pigs looking similar (the alleged males) and one looking different (female). I only realized something was amiss when I noticed two different types of poops in the cage. But by then it was too late…

Our new vet seems better so far based on the fact that our dude survived his neutering I guess.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
We attempted to take some glamour shots of the baby guineas for our local cavy rescue.

Bumblebee:

Dove:

Kiwi:

Lucky Foot:

If you live near Denver, CO and are interested in a floofy, adorable incest baby raised on the finest pellets, hay, and artisanal lettuces that money can buy and handled since birth by gentle children, please let me know.

newts fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 4, 2023

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Forgot to add to my last post… But if anyone wants to take a shot at sexing these guys, I got some blurry pictures of their adorable baby genitals. Our current (probably competent) vet wants to charge $140 per pig to sex them, which is something we can’t afford right now.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you! Yeah, I was shocked at the price. I admit I haggled with the receptionist for a bit, but she insisted that they’d have to charge for a physical exam for each baby, so that was that. Our old vet had just charged us the exam fee for the mom, but he also didn’t sex them properly, so it ended up being a wash.

Here are the pics! Sorry about the quality—I have vision problems and my kids were holding the babies.

Lucky:

Kiwi:

Dove:

Bee:

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Thank you, both! I’ll probably take a look again soon to try to confirm. I even bought special reading glasses just to look at baby guinea pig genitals.

They are two weeks old tomorrow, so we have one more week before separation :ohdear: They are super tame now and jump all over my hand when I put it in the cage (hoping it has pea flakes in it). I think my heart might break when I take them to the shelter because I’m already in love with them.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Yesterday, I drove the boys 2 hours each way to a cavy rescue so they can find new homes. Good luck, little fluffs! The lone girl will go to a family nearby who have promised to get her a female companion. My kids don’t approve of this home, but we have no room for more pigs :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Fearless posted:

The little darlings require a pretty substantial amount of space... particularly if you require multiple enclosures.

Yeah, it’s like having a herd of tiny sheep—they need space.