Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

cat with hands posted:

Stands on his hind legs like a Meerkat when begging for a snack :3:

Mine do that too. Its incredibly :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Reis posted:

Well, you have to hand it to the hamster for being determined, although not the brightest of rodents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvTnVI9s4PM

Haha thats hilarious.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I heard the most god damned retarded thing to come from the mouth of someone working at a pet store today.

I had to make a quick stop at a Petco during my lunch hour to buy hay. I really hate to even walk inside that place but my bale of hay has run out and I can't make the drive to buy another one until Saturday. Ran inside to just grab the smallest bag of Timothy that they had, and while checking out the cashier told me:

:downs:: "Our rabbits really love that stuff!"

No poo poo man, maybe it's because THAT'S WHAT THEY EAT. Might as well tell me your family is really fond of water while I'm buying a bottle of Evian.

I mean I guess this rant is a bit pedantic, but working in a pet store that sells rabbits shouldn't you at least know the one main food that they eat? How could you not learn that even by osmosis while working there?

I had someone hand me alfalfa hay for my piggie one time when I asked him where the hay was. I proceeded to tell him that guinea pigs really shouldn't be eating alfalfa that they should only stick to Timothy and he proceeds to give me attitude and tells me that's what they've been giving the ones in the cages and that "they're all perfectly fine" :what:

loving moron.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

cat with hands posted:

Can a guinea pig who is really freaked out by water get used to bathing or is it better to just avoid the stress and a use a wet towel?

My pigs actually kind of seemed to enjoy being held under the water when I would rinse them off. They kind of just relaxed. There's a certain way of holding them where your palm is cradling there underside that makes it a lot easier for washing them and they tend to freak out less too. I would say get them used to it by bathing them together and making sure the water is not too deep or they will freak out.

Always give them a treat afterwords.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CompactFanny posted:

Nobody said they hated you! It's just a bad idea to get it as a surprise, that's all, and so your boyfriend should know about it before it comes home. It's really not fair to him to get him a living, breathing, eating, pissing and making GBS threads responsibility for his birthday. ^:shobon:^

came to post this

:aaaaa:

sup yawning little buddy?

:aaa:

I miss these two dearly :(

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

alucinor posted:

Towels/fleece are cheaper, better for the environment (less waste/packaging), safer for the pigs (impaction, ingestion), and easier to deal with (less dust, no shopping trips) - if you don't mind doing more laundry, (increased water/power use) and doing daily spot-cleans.

Personally I hate laundry, so I still use shavings/carefresh. But I'm down to two cages so I really should suck it up and switch to fleece. :(

At one point we had six pigs and doing all that laundry was just a pain in the rear end and was very expensive in terms of water and electricity use (and the dust gets EVERYWHERE).

I recommend getting the carefresh in bulk. I managed to find a local source (KW Cages) that sold it to me about $5 a package cheaper than what the local pet store sold it for. I'd buy them 5 at a time and it would last for quite a while.

I don't have them anymore (most of them died :( ) so I don't miss doing the changes but the carefresh def made it easier cleaning up after them.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Its a bit of an old picture as I now have that box smack dab in the middle of the second story, but this is about how it looks:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Also I zip-tied thin strips of wood to both sides of the edges of the hay box so they aren't chewing on the plastic of the box. It works pretty well for me.

Im a little confused. Is that 3 levels? There is another piggie in the bottom left and I cant tell what level hes on.

Otherwise, very nicely done :D

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Nope, just two levels. I cleaned their cage today so I took some newer pictures:

Two levels with ramps on both sides. I have thin pieces of untreated pine zip tied to the top level clorosplast because one of my last pigs loved to stand up there and look out the cage and chew on the plastic. The hay box has it as well though as you could see in my other post, it used to be on the bottom level in the left corner, so since I moved it I never got around to putting wood on that one exposed side. You can see how much they've chewed it down.

Also that isn't carefresh in the hay box because at a local pet expo recently a new company was selling this recycled shredded paper as bedding and I bought a bundle of it. They charged me $7.50 for 12 cubic feet. I've been using it for three months now and have barely made a dent in the bale. Add that to the hay I buy in bales from local farmers for $5 and fleece sewed to towels as bedding and I think I've got this whole owning guinea pigs on the cheap thing down to a science. :D

Ahhh I see, ok, he was on the ramp :)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

cat with hands posted:

I've noticed no excessive scratching or biting, nor is the dry patches sensitive to touch. Will try to get some pictures soon.

EDIT: Updated with pictures. Camera is lovely and doesn't have any real ISO or shutter settings, better pictures have to wait until daylight.

Click here for the full 1024x777 image.

Click here for the full 1024x758 image.

That looks like a scratch mark after a little fight perhaps? I know you mentioned its a bald spot, but my pigs used to get this too after a throwdown even if it was only for a couple seconds.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Boy Named Sue posted:

Our male guinea pig, Roscoe, is ready to wield Mjolnir and slay some Frost Giants in the name of Odin!

His name isnt Thor???? :)

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Edit: Like so

This picture reminds me of my little pig Louis that passed away a while back. He used to do the same thing with his leg (all stretched out). Its just their relaxed, chillin, :whatup: pose.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Sirotan posted:

This thread has been around long enough that this is now my third post celebrating the birthday of my bestest ever pig, Fuji. She 'turned' 7 on Friday! (It's more like the anniversary of the day I got her, so she's probably more like 7yrs 2mo at this point.) I've had guinea pigs for close to 20 years now and despite my best efforts, I'm lucky to keep most around for 5 years, let alone 7. Fuji is a trooper and I hope to have her around long enough to make another post like this next May. :)

The next day, I let the whole herd share the leftovers:

:toot:

Full album: http://imgur.com/a/UQrYc

That is cuteness overload :3:

I like how they all get a piece of "cake".

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I actually saw one of these one time that someone was selling. It seemed to be a bit more frail than regular guinea pigs. I just got this feeling that they have a bit more needs to take care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

kazmeyer posted:

Guinea Pig DEFCON guide:

DEFCON 5 - WILL YOU STOP TOUCHING ME Squeal, rising in pitch and volume. "You're invading my personal space." Not necessarily a cause for alarm, but if you hear it a lot someone's being an rear end in a top hat in the cage.

DEFCON 4 - THEY SEE ME ROLLIN Rumblestrutting. Guinea pig purrs, waggles his butt low to the ground. In pig language, "Look at me I'm the boss." If other pigs submit, may lead to chasing and humping, even among same-sex groups. If another pig rumbles back, it becomes Jets vs. Sharks.

DEFCON 3 - YOU TALKIN TO ME Face off. Guinea pigs get into close proximity and raise their heads. Dominance display, the submissive pig lowers his head first. If neither one backs off, could be a problem.

DEFCON 2 - SAY WHAT AGAIN MOTHER FUCKER SAY WHAT ONE MORE GOD drat TIME Chattering teeth. Universal sign of "if you don't stop whatever you're doing, I'm going to gently caress you up." Pay attention if you hear this. Precursor to bad poo poo.

DEFCON 1 - STITCH THIS JIMMY Furball. Guinea pigs launch at each other and become whirling dervishes of teeth. Will surprise the gently caress out of anybody who's never seen it because you just don't think of guinea pigs being able to do this. Separate immediately. Do not use bare hands, or you may end up needing stitches.

This is awesome and spot on. I got to see Defcon 1 happen a couple of times when I had mine (I eventually had t separate a couple of them). I also never knew these little bastards could jump so high when they felt that their life was in danger after attempting Defcon 1!