Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
More chinchilla love (and hate :( )

My Girlfriend and I are having an issue. See we got Pompeii, the little baby, the Christmas before last (he's a few months over a year). Then last november-ish a very good friends ex girlfriend moved to L.A. and couldn't take her Chinchilla, so we read and apparently given some time two Chinchillas who weren't raised together could get along, especially if they're female and male.

So we adopted the older female, she's about a year older than pompeii. We've been trying to get them to be friends, so we can get them the hell out of these pre-made cages and I can build them a super loving sweet cage that they can share.

So we let them out at least once a week to hang out and run around our living room, but she always shows some aggression. She'll jump on pompeii and bite tufts of hair out. At first they would sniff each other then jump away quickly, we figured they just needed to get used to each other, but then she started biting him...It's been about 4 months now and we can't get them to warm up to each other.

Pompeii is sweet and nice, he's a cute little baby, but Ava (the older female, we didn't get to name her) is only sweet and nice to my girlfriend and I, and rarely if ever pompeii.

Obligatory pictures:

Ava playing on our snowboards

Ava checking out Pompeii's cage during play time

Pompeii

I really need to get these two Chinchillas in love, so I can build them ONE sweet rear end cage to live in. I only planned on using these 'starter cages' for a little while, as Ava is a little too big for it (for my liking anyway), and Pompeii is getting there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Neither of them have been spayed/neutered. Well we're not 100% on Ava, but knowing her previous owner she hasn't been.

She has also sprayed urine at Pompeii on two known occasions.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
You know what this thread needs?

More goddamn Chinchillas!

Seems Pompeii and Ava are getting along a lot nicer now. This has been a much longer process than most websites would lead you to believe, maybe our animals are the exception though. I think when we move to a new place in July I'll build them that cage I've always talked about, a sweet rear end cage...

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
My chins will let us rub/scratch their ears, chin/jaw, chest and belly, and they love that poo poo so much. They're not big on cuddling, AT ALL, though if we're holding them we can pet them to sleep on our chests. They're nothing like a dog (or my limited experience with a ferret) when it comes to attention. And when we let them out to play they don't really wanna go back in the cage, but they don't wanna play with us so much as with each other... It can be frustrating not to see any blatant affection from the chins, but i know they love us, and they're cute as hell.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I need a fleece tube asap, our chins like the hammocks, but its always so awkward for them to get in and out...that looks perfect.