Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Four days in and she already is comfortable sleeping in my shirt and is much less skittish when I pick her up. She also sleeps like a rock, the rest of them get up to investigate any sounds or change of lighting basically immediately, she just continues sleeping even when I was using her cage to balance the other cages on while I cleaned them. Does not give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sleepy baby ham

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have named the little girl chichi, and she is a mischievous little poo poo. I was letting her crawl on me like I do with all my hams, and she decided to jump from my legs onto the couch, fumbled the landing, and slid off onto the floor. She was fine, but took the opportunity to BOOK IT under the couch, and then played keep away while I tried to move the couch to get to her. Eventually corralled her with a yardstick, and she collected up all the dust and cobwebs under there for me so she had to take a bath after I retrieved her(since I don't know what's in the dust under there and don't want to risk her eating something weird from it) which she was entirely unenthused by. But she's back home and safe, focusing on treats and tearing up strips of paper towel to nest with, so all is well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I haven't seen mine in weeks.

well that's not true, I have seen him. for half a second when I turn the lights on and he BOLTS under the bedding.

he straight up will never come out "above ground" if the lights are on. I dig him out every few days just to make sure he's alive and not sick or anything, he's cute and all but mine doesn't really like being held, which is a shame. most of my prior chinese dwarfs were pretty chill, but this one is very antisocial.

banjo's adorable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
chinese dwarfs stay very mouselike throughout their lives, they're very small and lean unless you really gently caress up.

one of my favorite parts is their little prehensile tail. they'll use it as a balancing tool when climbing stuff, even though it's just this little nub of a thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Tom, my chinese dwarf, absolutely petrifies if he's out in the open, period. you can rub a delicious treat or piece of fruit on his mouth and he won't move or try to take it, just stand stone still. or he twitches slightly, before ZOOMING towards the nearest nook to hide in. he is the personification of "rodents don't like being out in the open".

if I could just get him to not poop all over me whenever I hold him, that would be nice. the rest of them broke that habit really quickly but he is a poop submachine gun

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
testicle pillow, it's the testicle pillooooowwwww!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
took tom to visit mom, he was his usual scared self, crawled around a bit, and then basically petrified on the spot, as seen in this video:

https://i.imgur.com/4IMPk20.mp4

he is such a cutie, though. I wish he wasn't so terrified all the time. at least him sitting still meant I could get some good pictures!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I knew cuy existed but I didn't realize they got THAT big, jesus

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just completely spaced it, even though it makes total sense, but be careful with your hamsters around ceiling fans.

I was walking across the room with chichi in the crook of my arm, when I walked underneath the ceiling fan in my room and she SCREAMED and literally EJECTED herself from my arms, immediately going airborne(I was quick enough to catch her before she hit the ground and cup my hands around her to prevent her flailing to escape, luckily), but I forgot that they see a moving ceiling fan as the flapping of a descending predator's wings(probably) and rightfully freak out. poor baby.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
roborovskis are the most adorable tiny little shits until one (graphic warning) kills the other, hollows it out, and you find it sleeping inside the skin of its cagemate

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://i.imgur.com/KogcGFr.mp4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

verbal enema posted:

Why is everyone's pets dying :c
it is just how rodents Do

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just take their wheels out when I go to sleep. either they run on their silent runner wheels so much it makes a ton of noise anyways, or they knock the wheel over and start banging it against things instead. better to just nip that in the bud before they can do it in the first place

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://i.imgur.com/fSX7UV6.mp4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ah good, first we made killer bees, then we made killer hams
https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/27/gene-editing-turns-fluffy-hamsters-into-aggressive-rage-monsters-16721041/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think I might try getting some rats when my current hamsters pass on. I didn't think I'd give it a try with them since they live about the same but have so much more attachment, but maybe I should.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edit: nevermind, he's gone. I held him for a few hours, he did his normal stuff, crawling about a bit, cleaning himself, and then about 20 minutes after putting him away, he crawled into his nest and passed. poor little guy. :(

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 20, 2022

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well I removed the post I had about possible at-home euthanasia but suffice to say he was suffering a lot since last night, and none of the nearby vets would take him, the closest one that would(that "handles exotic pets, which is hilarious on the context of a drat hamster) is out of state and charged me like $175 to euthanize the only other hamster I've considered doing that for. and I would have to register as a client for them again, which was stupid paperwork bullshit, and...gently caress it. by the time I would've taken him in and all that, it'd have only been a couple hours before he died on his own, turns out.

he had some sort of horrific bloating going on that manifested sometime in the last week, which googling shows is the sign of a variety of decidedly terminal afflictions, from heart failure to organ death to aggressive cancers. I did what I could to ease his suffering because it absolutely was not something he was coming back from, and even tried to quietly end it by giving him 5ml(10mg) of liquid oxycodone, but he just downed that poo poo like a champ and trucked on for another half a day like nothing happened(I guess maybe the oxy helped the pain, if nothing else), before the above post.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh gently caress, you told me about exactly that back then and I completely forgot it. Thank you, I will keep that in mind, since I still have three hamsters and lord knows rodents sure like to die in the most horrible and often cruelly painful ways. I wouldn't use it as anything but a last resort, in this case it was 100% clear there was no coming back from his situation.

I honestly was ready to put him down due to the clear, constant suffering he was in, but I couldn't bring myself to physically do it to him. There's a part of me that thought "that just means you're a normal person" and the other part thought "but openly letting him suffer a protracted, inevitable death isn't normal either". So I tried the oxycodone which didn't work, and while I was deciding what to do and making a post here asking for advice, he passed on his own. I'm also guessing a rodent's metabolism is so ridiculous it cycled out the oxycodone before it could do anything to him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Get some liquified fruit and maybe also some sugar in there with it. Blueberries, strawberries, find out what they like and mix some in there.

Otherwise, just force it. One of my hams does not want ANYTHING but normal hamster food in her cage, no food given to her by hand whatsoever. so when I've had to give her stuff via syringe, it's just been getting the syringe in her mouth through struggle and effort, and then squeezing a little bit of the syringe at a time so she doesn't choke.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
help, my hamster absolutely will not shut the gently caress up

chichi is making a ZEEP noise and has been doing so for the last like 3 hours. she will not stop doing it. she's doing her usual thing in her cage, eating, drinking, etc, but continues to make this drat noise. what is causing her to do this? she's done it for hours at a time for the last 3 or so days, and it is cute and all, but also gets really annoying when I'm trying to sleep because she can make it real loud if she wants to

she's not in distress, her teeth are fine, she's just hanging out in her cage, but she's making this noise every 10 seconds or so. can hamsters get hiccups?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
please give me some recs for hamster treats and toys I can leave in their cages. so far, my current crew have been incredibly disinterested in chew sticks and basically any wooden toys, but they absolutely love those colorful puff sticks and generally devour the sections I break off for them either immediately or within a day. I also give them these types of papaya treats, a couple pieces at a time, and they of course inhale those.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
woke up at 1 in the morning for some reason, checked out the hamster cages when I got out of bed, and Chichi was laying down out in the open, breathing rapidly. I quickly scooped her up, with no resistance or curiosity from her so I knew it was bad, and made a warm cup of water to syringe to her/mash up food into if necessary as she was very cold. she rested in my hands for a few minutes before starting to struggle super hard out of nowhere and I knew it was over, that's how a lot of my hams have gone right at the end; rage, rage, against the dying of the light. She coughed up blood and so I can only assume something catastrophic internally happened. she was running around with a corn pop I gave her earlier today, she wasn't as frenetic as she usually is, and I guess that should have been a sign.

poor little girl. and my other ones are getting sluggish and old too. I hate thinking about "time to get new ones" but with rodents, that's just how you do.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I should take more pictures and videos. I just haven't lately, and I really should.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My condolences. She looks a bit like my old boy, who's approaching 2.5 years now. The hunch, kinda squinty look is definitely a sign they're winding down whether due to health or age. You did her well though, even with apparently terminal tumors, she looks relatively okay other than that, no major skin issues it looks like. Small consolation I know, but she looks like she's led a good life.

I have been debating whether to swing by the pet shop I've gotten my hams at before and got Chichi from, or look into a breeder. Is there a directory for hamster breeders or anything like that, I'd like to find one near mid-to-eastern Massachusetts or southern New Hampshire if I can.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
edamame is adorable! swanzey's a few hours out, so I'll look into something a bit closer, but I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've been recently getting recommendations for this youtube channel, the videos I've watched from her seem good, informative, and most importantly, do not beat around the bush. they made me very uncomfortable in some spots, but in a good way, like this video she just put out which shows just how horrible a rodent mill is with video, visual evidence of inbred and genetically hosed hamsters, etc, and she provides links to those she believes are a bunch of ethical breeders in her video description.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fcAAhLLoZ8&hd=1

I think this was the video that first pointed me towards her channel, and it's a good one, about various hamster behaviors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaYPn7HHDw&hd=1

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love friendly rat forecast most of the time. like this time. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83xIUyxDHEg

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I had a hamster who clearly had a cancerous tumor, but also was just doing their thing unperturbed by this growing lump on their side, no signs of distress or pain and continued running on their wheel and everything, and went a further month until they simply passed in their sleep. It does suck, and guinea pigs are indeed good at hiding it from experience, but if he's doing fine after you do what the above post says, I'd say see how he fares for the week.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
RIP hercules, sorry to hear about that, VE.

Victoria Raechel, the hamster youtuber I follow, just lost her hamster Dipper, and made a montage video for them. it's very cute, a great way to say goodbye.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WajE3MRZxME&hd=1

rarely has a hamster lived such a lavish life as Dipper.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is this respiratory failure? edit: video removed

Tom's been like this for a bit. He's over three years old now, so taking him to the vet would be pointless, they'd just say to euthanize him for any problem at that age.

He's deaf and blind, has been for a year or so, but still trucked along fine until now.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 28, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nevermind. he just died in my hand. I guess it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's okay, I'm just glad I was with him at the end. I wouldn't want to be alone either.