Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
When researching any animal,it is important to research the specific breed because just like dogs, hamsters have massive variations in behaviour and temperament. Roborovski hamsters are very different from syrian hamsters. Here are two good roborovski hamster sites:

http://roborovskihamsters.webs.com/
http://www.roborovski.net/

I have four robos called Miso, Milk, Coco, and Plum, and they are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Awesome Kristin posted:

Still curious about adding another hamster in with the one I just got.

Robos definately enjoy the company of others as a general rule. I have four and thankfully they get on wonderfully. They playfight a lot but I've never had any injuries except one small scratch to the nose. However, there is a smaller chance that some don't get on. A serious injury like bites of the ears or tail resulting in blood is something you have to watch out for - robos who don't get on have a penchant for attacking rears. Try to check that both are eating - sometimes one can scare the other off.

If you do introduce a second, do it sooner rather than later whilst your ham is still young and new. Robos I find are good stimulation for each other, which is great for a pet like robos that often don't do very well with human interaction. However, you must be prepared to permanently seperate them if they do fight seriously.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Lumi posted:

Hey guys, I'm currently looking into getting a hamster for my girlfriend. We did some mild research and basically she wants two hamsters, and seems to be partial to dwarfs at the moment. Couple of initial concerns and questions:

Googling around seems to indicate that there are no breeders in the Vancouver area. Is there some other method of finding breeders? How big of a deal is it compared to getting one from the pet store?

What sort of habitat is good? Initially we looked at the Habitrail Ovo Suite for Dwarfs and it seems kind of fun, but there seems to be a bunch of bad reviews in addition to good ones, so I'm rather wary, and it seems to be pointed out that it's not that great since there isn't a lot of open space for them to run around. We want some fun accessories for it too since it's fun for us and also these are supposedly pretty curious little guys. The frustrating thing is that there seems to be no universally agreed on best 'fun' habitat.

If she wants two hamsters, she's going to have to choose some kind of dwarf, as syrians can't live together. I can answer the habitat question. The Habitrail ones look fun, but there are a lot of problems with these kind of enclosures. They're hard to clean, tubes can come apart and hamsters can be lost, and sometimes as you said they don't offer enough room for the hamster to just run around. A plastic aquarium with bars at the top is what I use for my hams, and I put fun things into it. The absolute best thing they have is flat pieces of wood which slot together. Every time I clean them out, I rearrange the wood into some new shape to keep them stimulated. They love to climb on it and hide inside. You'll also want a wheel, and basic cardboard tubes are great. My hams also have a soft pouch for them to sleep in, which they really like and use all the time, but which needs to be replaced every two weeks or so because they absolutely destroy it and it gets dirty inside. These fancy cages with all the tubes are really more for the human's enjoyment, because you can keep a hamster very happy and stimulated in a more basic set-up with fun things placed inside.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Lumi posted:

Two quick questions:
How are water bottles and other apparatus installed in an aquarium? Most of them that I see seem to be meant to be attached for cages and there seems to be no easy way to have it hanging.
And what are the criteria for a hamster wheel to prevent this from happening?

There is a sort of shelf that slots into my aquarium with a hole for the water bottle to sit in.

Also, hamsters tumble about from wheels, it doesn't hurt them. just make sure to get a solid wheel and not one with bars because little feet and hands can get caught in those and that IS a terrible thing.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
We like to take our pigs out in the summer, but like someone else said, never leave them alone. Generally they never go anywhere but just sit and eat until it's time to go back in, so it's quite relaxing to take a cup of tea out and sit with them and just chill.

Here's one of our lawnmowers:

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Blacknose posted:

Yeah I recently had a pretty bad experience with multiple robos and would advise that whatever kind of hamster you choose only get one of them. It will probably save you a lot of hassle in the future.

I disagree. I've had nothing but good experiences with my 4-strong robo colony. People who buy robos or other dwarves should be aware occasionally they need to be seperated but this is an exception to the rule. They are sociable creatures (to each other) and are stimulated by company.

However, if you want to be able to handle your pet, get a syrian hamster. And never keep a glass aquarium in direct sunlight! Hams are great animals. Good luck!

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
I've had them for two years already and no problems. Reading more about this, most people seem to suggest pairs of robos as a good number. Mine were all sisters too, so that helped.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Awesome Kristin posted:

Hey guys. Quick question. I have a robo hamster that won't use her dust bath but is looking rather oily. Is there anything I can do for her?

I tried mine with the dust bath (remember you have to use sand and not actually dust) about five times before they started using it properly a little bit. Then one got a grain of sand in her eye and I had to remove it with a cotton bud very very very carefully. I gave up after that.

Generally as hams get older they do look a little oily, their fur maybe thins a little too, but it doesn't harm them. Maybe perseverance will do the trick for you though.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Blackish Sheep posted:

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm preparing some toys for a pair of mice I'm planning to get sometime this week and I was wondering if Sculpey is actually non-toxic. It says so on the packaging but I want to make sure my little meese won't get sick if they decide to nibble on it.

I've also made some hemp rope climbs, a hammock out of an old shirt sleeve, and oven sanitized a piece of drift wood for them. Any other suggestions for toys?

Edit: Yeah, I'm extremely cheap.

These are probably the best toys for them, regardless of cost! There are so many rodent toys out there that are held together by glue, which I wouldn't want my hamsters to chew up.

Further to the above suggestion, even a piece of toilet paper or tissue itself can be fun for them to shred and use as bedding. Hide treats amongst their toys for them to find.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Awesome Kristin posted:

I got a new camera that can take decent macro shots so I want to share some of Bitey.

Bitey is adorable :3:

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

TheSpook posted:

My 1.5 year-old Siberian dwarf hamster is losing a little hair near her nose. Is this a normal part of the hamster aging process, or should I be worried?

Here is a picture of her (in her younger days) ruling the galaxy with an iron fist: Darth Hamster.

What an awesome picture :3:

It is a regular aging thing for hair to thin a little among dwarfs, but keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't scratching around that area, as it can also be a sign of mites etc. My own hams are getting a little thin all around their ears.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

TheSpook posted:

Thanks for the reply! Isn't 1.5 years a little young for a dwarf hamster to be entering "old age," though? I'd always thought their average lifespan was closer to three years.

I haven't seen her scratching it, so hopefully it is just natural balding.

Their lifespan is closer to 2.5-3 years usually, but any dwarf is considered elderly past 1.5 years because they do start to age around then. I definitely noticed mine getting a bit more scruffy!

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Gaj posted:

So last month I adopted a dwarf russian hamster, and a miscommunication led me to believe that I was picking up a robo, but whatever its adorable and loves me.

The problem is the little guy has gotten noticeably chubbier, and is in general a lazy bum. Are there any ways to get him to use his wheel more or should I just put his food bowl and everything else he loves above a ladder?

Looks quite like a robo in that picture, do you have any more photos?

Dwarf hams can look very round because they tend to bunch themselves up a bit when they sit/sleep. You can't make him exercise but don't give him unnecessary treats - no yoghurt drops or things like that which are filled with sugar.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

935 posted:

My hamster has a respratory infection. He's a russian dwarf, year and a half old, normally healthy as an ox. Three weeks ago I got generic pine shedding from wal-mart, that may be the reason he's sick., though I'm pretty sure he's been using pine or ceder his entire life. Would it be safer to replace all the shedding with toilet paper until I can get aspen bedding tomorrow morning? I don't mind shredding an entire roll of TP if it would be safer on his lungs.

I just went and got thyme, I plan to crush it up around him and try and make him taste thyme tea.

To clarify, he may have a bug like pneumonia or he may have gotten sick from the shedding. I don't know for sure if the shedding caused his illness, but on the chance that it did, would an all toilet paper nest be good for him? Just for 12 hours. Or would the stress of me handling him be worse than leaving him in his current home?

edit/ made him a toilet paper blanket and sprinkled thyme around his head. I've been reading that thyme is an herbal decongestant. There's no way I can make him drink the thyme tea though. I'll see if I can get him to a vet tomorrow. Any idea about the all toilet paper shedding for tonight?

Always avoid wooden shavings. Particularly for dwarf hamsters whose lungs are so small, the particles can be breathed and this can be dangerous. You have done the right thing by temporarily using toilet paper. I use Carefresh bedding for my roborovski dwarf hamsters, and I recommend you use that or a similar paper based bedding. The vet will be able to advise you on how to proceed, let us know what they say.

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Gaj posted:

Ham Health question. My dwarf russian today started coughing all the time when hes active. He makes cough noises the more he moves around and on his back, and get agitated if I do so. This just started today. Im assuming this is an breathing problem, yet I havent done anything super stupid.

Bedding is carefresh and he eats a good mixed diet.

Edit: as I finish typing this post hs stoped coughing and is fine. Should I still rush him to a vet or wait to see if this comes back?

It could just be a cold - a vet might be able to give you something for it. What age is your ham?

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

KasioDiscoRock posted:

I picked up my adopted hamster today! It was a 2 hour drive each way, in the snow to get her, but (unbelievably) she was the only female hammy available anywhere nearby.

No name yet, so I'm open to suggestions. The short-list includes "Toto", "Kitty" and "Frak", but I'm not really in love with any of them.

She's a total escape-artist and almost got out in the car within about 5 minutes, so I had to keep an eye on her the whole ride home (luckily I wasn't the one driving).

She really likes to sniff through these holes in the wheel and it's disproportionately loud!

Hammy butt!

Aww!

How about Pompom, Mishka, Coco?

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem

Turtle before the Storm posted:

Okay so does anyone have experience introducing a companion robo hamster to an existing one? I've read lots of conflicting things on the subject. When we bought this one, she was the only one at the store and the lady there told us never to put more than one together. Then I found out that roborovski's are meant to live in pairs and such and lone hamsters may actually live shorter lives. I think it's mean to make a creature live a solitary existence if they don't do so in nature.

Thus, I'm thinking of getting a companion. When I do, I was thinking I'm going to seperate the existing cage (after cleaning it) with a wire mesh wall so they can smell each other and whatever for about a week or maybe two, then put them both into a newer, bigger cage.

I know there's no promise they won't end up fighting - but is there a good chance they'll get along? We would be really upset if one killed the other.

Lady at the store is an idiot. Robos are very sociable and often sleep in piles. Of course there is a small chance they will really not get along but generally they do well in groups. Some small fighting/squeaking at each other is normal, but if any blood is drawn seperate them. Your plan of letting them smell each other first seems ok, but I'd do this as soon as possible as I were you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash BandiCute
Nov 8, 2004

Dona Nobis Pacem
Remember some fights are ok, even if they're squeaking at each other, as long as there is no blood drawn. Mine got on fine and there were no injuries but they went through a few periods of nightly squeaking, just dominance squabbles.