Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Kluliss posted:

...you have an exact replica of our Ozzy...who is currently being renamed to stupid* (by me) for walking into the hay and ending up with a bit in his eye, which then got infected. Vets are useful >.<

One of mine almost chocked on a long strand of grass that got caught between his incisors. Good thing I was watching when it happened...

If what you eat can kill you and what you eat is grass, I think it's safe to say that you're not exactly top of the food chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Did you see this picture in the comments?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

It probably won't take long, why not let her pass in the warmth and comfort of your home?

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

cuntvalet posted:

Also, when we got Jenna, we got her from a pet store that got her from a breeder. Is it better to go to a breeder directly? Is it more likely that getting a piggie at a store will mean they'll have more health issues/be prone to a stroke the way Jenna was?

I want to take all the love that Nic and I felt for Jenna and give it to another pet, but I don't wanna go through the heart break of losing one so young again, if I can help it.

If you want to make a difference, why not contact a rescue or check the ads for piggies in need of a new home?

Not a piggie doctor, but...
my totally anecdotal evidence points to piggies from Zoos being more healthy than anything from a breeder. The might only be bred for food and as kiddy bait in the petting zoo but at least they get decent care and most importantly are not separated too early from their herd and family. That probably makes a difference?

Breeding for looks tends to bring on so many problems, regardless of species.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Scooty Puff Jr posted:

I'm getting a new cage delivered tomorrow for my three pigs (the one I currently have is in no way large enough for three energetic pigs), and I wanted to ask: with bigger cages, what's the best method for bedding? I'm not super duper strapped for cash or anything, but I originally wasn't expecting to end up with three pigs (totally worth it, though) and I wanted to see what the most economic thing to do in terms of bedding is. Currently I've been using the Carefresh Natural stuff (Amazon's got the 60 liter packs for under $20), but I've noticed a lot of people seem to use the fleece bedding method here, which I know very little about. One website I read basically said it's a huge pain in the rear end, and that you're using up a lot more water with washing the fleece. I figured I'd just ask here since ya'll seem to know more than most websites I've stumbled upon.

Fleece or not depends on just how messy your pigs are. If they drag hay everywhere, don't use a litter box and shed a lot like mine did it's going to be way too much work keeping the fleece nice. Not to mention cleaning the washing machine after every use so you don't get hay and piggie hair on everything you own. I had to give up fleece after the first year or so and just use bedding.

If they are relatively tidy and don't shed too much you can do a lot with just daily spot cleaning, then fleece should be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

Scooty Puff Jr posted:

Hmmm. They all shed like crazy, don't use a litter box, and drag hay everywhere, so... maybe I'll stick to bedding. Thanks!

Have you tried to give them a litter box or designated feed area with a way too keep the hay in place? The shedding will slow down as they grow older but the first two is something you need to try for your self. :)

A couple of fleece blankets and dollar store towels isn't expensive, if you can make it work it's probably the best for you and the pigs, so at least give it a try.