Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
We have a thread for inspiration, and we have PAD, but we lack a gallery of great images from other photographers. ITT, I propose we post these photos. So let's get to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I would posit that linking to that photographer's page and perhaps talking about them would be useful. Who took that photo? Was it someone from here?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Walter Iooss is the best. He's shot many of the most iconic sports photos (portraits and action) that you've seen. Still a staff photographer for SI, still a badass.

http://www.walteriooss.com/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I really want to play, but I cannot find the drat photo I want to talk about.

Somebody help me!

It's a publicity photo for The Sopranos:

It is a full length portrait of 3 people: Paulie, Silvio and Chris(?).
They are wearing dark trenchcoats and are standing in a butchers/meat packers. There's a pig carcass hanging up behind them

I suspect it is a Leibovitz, but my google skills are waek and I cannot find it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This was from last night's Flyers win over New Jersey :woop: and I really liked it. From Len Redkoles of Getty Images.

I like it because Chris Pronger is a big motherfucker (6'6" and about 220 lbs) and it comes across well here. He looks like he's about to murder someone. I like it as well because it reminds me to look for more things like this at sporting events as opposed to just sticking to the action of the game.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

DJExile posted:

Is that a thin strand of spit hanging from his chin?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wickles posted:

Is that a thin strand of spit hanging from his chin?

If you're talking right next to his chinstrap, I think that's a reflection off his teammate's visor.

Edit: Holy poo poo it is :lol:

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I'm really into Jamie Chung's work. She's super young and has one of the best still life portfolios I've seen:

http://cyanatrendland.com/2009/06/29/jamie-chung-still-life-photography/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

brad industry fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 18, 2009

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

kefkafloyd posted:

I would posit that linking to that photographer's page and perhaps talking about them would be useful. Who took that photo? Was it someone from here?

Good thinking. It's actually a flickr person but I obfuscated that because I wanted to be ninja and make you guys think it was from someone more established. I don't really know much about him except that he's French, and recently won an award for taking this picture:

He does some cool things.

brad industry posted:

I'm really into Jamie Chung's work. She's super young and has one of the best still life portfolios I've seen:

http://cyanatrendland.com/2009/06/29/jamie-chung-still-life-photography/

I'm intrigued by photos like this, but intimidated by trying to execute them because they require such strong vision. I don't always have that when I'm photographing, my vision comes as I go along. I'm terrible about conceptualizing and planning. I have a feeling that art school really helps with that kind of thing.

The other thing is, I'm not really sure I understand this photograph. I like it because it seems chaotic, yet fun and imaginative. But I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be reading more from it. What message do you read from it?

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 18, 2009

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Wynn Bullock, largely because of this photo, which is the best landscape I have ever seen. Fullstop. I first saw it when I was interning at the ICP, and the print of it was buried in the middle of a box, and when I took it out I felt myself physically react. I wanted to scan it, if only to use as a desktop background, but I was unable to because of copyright. This, sadly, is the best image I can find online.

"The Stark Tree"

Art Kane, similar story, same internship. He's best known for a picture of the major figures of jazz congregated in one place, but this photo of his just takes my breath away. The print of it that I saw was just absolutely staggering.

"Where Does the Wind Blow?"

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
This is an image straight out-of-camera and from a Facebook posting. This was taken by our university photographer Daniel Miller. He's a really great guy, and a great photographer. This image stands out to me because I was at this exact same ceremony and his shot blows mine out of the water. He's just the type of photographer to size up a situation very quickly and come up with a winning composition under all types of restrictions.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

JaundiceDave posted:

Art Kane

"Where Does the Wind Blow?"
Wow. Great example of how unimportant sharpness, grain, and drat near everything can be do a photo. It probably looks even better in print.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Avedon will never stop being my ultimate inspiration :swoon:

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

dakana posted:

Hmm. I'm not really seeing your vision here. Maybe being there gave a stronger impression, but the photo seems pretty boring.

. . . . .

I like all of Steve McCurry's published photographs. Every one of them. He is, of course, famous for the Afghan girl, you probably already knew that. But his other work is just as impressive.

Really, I think what helps make his photos stand out so much, aside from the subject and composition, is the brilliant colors.

Most of what he shot in his glory days was, of course, all on film. Shooting with digital equipment today, I really ache to achieve those same kinds of colors and effects. I hate faking it in Photoshop.

More can be found here.

. . . . .

nonanone posted:

Avedon is awesome! He's another one that there are too many good photos to squeeze into one thread.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mannequin posted:

holy poo poo...

I mean I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to say. I would take one shot as good as this in my life and I'd be able to put down my camera and feel good about myself until I died.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

holy poo poo...

I mean I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to say. I would take one shot as good as this in my life and I'd be able to put down my camera and feel good about myself until I died.

I was just thinking the same thing about the fishermen on poles. Holy god drat.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

KingColliwog posted:

holy poo poo...

The positive feedback you'd get would hopefully encourage you to continue. Sometimes, I am envious of these guys because part of what makes them successful is that they can go to places that I can't. In some ways, I kind of feel like they're cheating because they have an advantage I don't have. But on the other hand, I know they worked really hard to get there and they deserve it.

spog posted:

I really want to play, but I cannot find the drat photo I want to talk about.

Somebody help me!

It's a publicity photo for The Sopranos:

It is a full length portrait of 3 people: Paulie, Silvio and Chris(?).
They are wearing dark trenchcoats and are standing in a butchers/meat packers. There's a pig carcass hanging up behind them

I suspect it is a Leibovitz, but my google skills are waek and I cannot find it.

Hmmm, I thought initially you were talking about a Leibovitz shot as well, but I was thinking of something else. The photo you're talking about seems impossible to find now, and I really want to see it! Doesn't sound like a Leibovitz shot or I think it would have turned up by now.

nonanone posted:

One thing Avedon did that I thought was really good, which I suppose should come naturally to any good photographer, was a self-portrait. I think most people have a hard time with these because not many people like taking pictures of themselves, and I think it's also hard to be objective when you're looking at yourself in a photo.

I thought this was good, though:

He's just all business. And he's doing something which captures your attention and makes the picture feel alive. It's not just a flat photo of a face or something.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 18, 2009

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

It's definitely one of his strong points. All of the subjects in his photos are always so dynamic, even if they're standing still. I'm going to go see the traveling exhibit at the DIA this weekend, I'm excited.

As much as I kind of balk at it, I think you're right in that self portraits are definitely something that can really help define and refine photography skill. Maybe I will have to do some, but yeah, like a lot of photogs, I hate being in front of the camera.

more avedon

This one reminds me of that Kane photo earlier in the thread.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Mannequin posted:

I like all of Steve McCurry's published photographs. Every one of them. He is, of course, famous for the Afghan girl, you probably already knew that. But his other work is just as impressive.

Really, I think what helps make his photos stand out so much, aside from the subject and composition, is the brilliant colors.

Most of what he shot in his glory days was, of course, all on film. Shooting with digital equipment today, I really ache to achieve those same kinds of colors and effects. I hate faking it in Photoshop.

McCurry is everything I wish I could be as a photographer. He's everything that inspires travel and a curiosity for our world. Breathtaking.

I'm a pretty big fan of Ira Meyer after seeing some of his work at this tiny monthly art fair in Studio City, CA. I walked into his tent and you could literally feel the air drop several degrees with his Arctic work hanging around everywhere. Internet posting don't do them justice, as they are awesome in print. His other work isn't as strong, but his ice work makes up for it.

Also, and I may get flak for this, I really enjoy Lara Jade's work. A lot of it is fit to a very specific stereotype, but she found a way to take that style and turn it into a pretty famous brand on what was essentially a Digital Rebel and no budget to start with. I still remember following her work when she was just beginning on dA, and it's good to see that she's made a name for herself, as much of a niche as it may be. I just hope she doesn't can herself into that niche and only work with "omghyperpost-processing" like she has been lately.

Not her best work, but it's what I got with my lazy Flickr look-see:

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 18, 2009

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Paul Nicklen http://www.paulnicklen.com/

Awesome canadian wildlife photographer, mostly does stuff in the arctic/antarctic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7gyZN7dOYk

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Mannequin posted:

Hmmm, I thought initially you were talking about a Leibovitz shot as well, but I was thinking of something else. The photo you're talking about seems impossible to find now, and I really want to see it! Doesn't sound like a Leibovitz shot or I think it would have turned up by now.

I've sort of found it....

It's in the 'The Sopranos' companion book - which is not a bad book, but I'm not enough of a fan to pay the price for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Sopranos-Book-HBO/dp/1933821876/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

There's a really lovely photo-of-a-photo, which I am almost hesitant to post cause the photo really loses its impact:

If you can find the original, then you'll see why I like it - the lighting is really good and there is a real atmosphere to the situation and characters. The crap copy loses all of this.
I'll explain more if I can find a decent version...

The Sopranos photos always give me strong mixed emotions:

(is this Leibovitz?)

I like the way that the characters are independant from each other and separate entities - in some cases, not even focussed on the same subject. That's kind of rare in an ensemble image. Usually, everyone is in the same plane, looking at the same thing and usually physically touching each other. In this case, all the characters are separate and you get quite a cold emotion from the,

On the other hand, I really dislike the fact that all these shots are obviously cut and paste composition jobs - which does grate quite badly.

Broccoli Cream Salad
Dec 2, 2004

Love Hurts... *prick prick*

spog posted:

I've sort of found it....

It's in the 'The Sopranos' companion book - which is not a bad book, but I'm not enough of a fan to pay the price for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Sopranos-Book-HBO/dp/1933821876/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

There's a really lovely photo-of-a-photo, which I am almost hesitant to post cause the photo really loses its impact:

If you can find the original, then you'll see why I like it - the lighting is really good and there is a real atmosphere to the situation and characters. The crap copy loses all of this.
I'll explain more if I can find a decent version...

The Sopranos photos always give me strong mixed emotions:

(is this Leibovitz?)

I like the way that the characters are independant from each other and separate entities - in some cases, not even focussed on the same subject. That's kind of rare in an ensemble image. Usually, everyone is in the same plane, looking at the same thing and usually physically touching each other. In this case, all the characters are separate and you get quite a cold emotion from the,

On the other hand, I really dislike the fact that all these shots are obviously cut and paste composition jobs - which does grate quite badly.
Speaking of the Sopranos... I remember the first time I saw this picture... absolutely amazing.

fenner
Oct 4, 2008

Mannequin posted:

Oh my god...

This is probably the best photograph I have ever seen or ever will see.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mannequin posted:

The positive feedback you'd get would hopefully encourage you to continue. Sometimes, I am envious of these guys because part of what makes them successful is that they can go to places that I can't. In some ways, I kind of feel like they're cheating because they have an advantage I don't have. But on the other hand, I know they worked really hard to get there and they deserve it.

Yeah I mean I'd probably get some great shots if I had his gear and the chance to travel like that. But my shots still wouldn't be that good (well at least for now!) and like you said, the guy must have worked so hard to get there. There's a reason I get the national geographic each month, these guys do the best pictures in the craziest of environments.

--

Here's something from Québec, the guy is called Marc-André Ménard and I really dig his style. He got some pretty good "horror movie" images, and he sometime goes crazy with photoshop, but I think he makes some great shots in a style that is quite different from what we usually see. I particularly like his portraits, I really feel emotions through them

for more of his work : http://www.maphoto.org/pg_portfolio.php?gId=1

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Since there's been so much talk of Avedon, I'd just like to remind Bay Area Dorkroomers that the Avedon show at the MOMA closes on 11-29. If you haven't seen it yet, FOR SHAME. Hopefully I'm making a third visit tomorrow after work if the swine flu hasn't caught hold of me by then... :(

This is in the exhibit, and it's my favorite shot of his:

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Speaking of horror photographers, I was recently introduced to the photography of Joshua Hoffine. Check out his blog for some really interesting stories about how he sets up and takes each of his photos.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Broccoli Cream Salad posted:

Speaking of the Sopranos... I remember the first time I saw this picture... absolutely amazing.

These ones are liebovitz. Not sure about the other.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

I really like this desaturated, over-sharpened look.

Seeing stuff like this has made me rethink my policy of trying to make my stuff as bright and colour-saturated as possible.

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

why would you ever have that policy in the first place

brad industry
May 22, 2004

Mannequin posted:

I'm intrigued by photos like this, but intimidated by trying to execute them because they require such strong vision. I don't always have that when I'm photographing, my vision comes as I go along. I'm terrible about conceptualizing and planning. I have a feeling that art school really helps with that kind of thing.

The other thing is, I'm not really sure I understand this photograph. I like it because it seems chaotic, yet fun and imaginative. But I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be reading more from it. What message do you read from it?

I don't really read anything deeper into, he is a editorial/commercial dude and it's just a photo version of a Rube Goldberg illustration. I was actually sort of planning to do something similar to that for my portfolio but after seeing his... gently caress it.

I'm really into Jamie Chung's work because the ideas are fairly simple but they are executed at such a high level. That image I posted obviously took a poo poo load of planning and time to not only come up with, but then go find all of those objects, arrange and style them, and put it all together. Everything in his portfolio is very carefully put together like that, but still retains a very consistent playful/funny tone which is why it's so good.

As far as vision I think it's just a (never ending) process of figuring out what kind of images you are interested in making and pursuing it (technically/aesthetically/conceptually/whatever). Alec Soth did this interview and he talks about "what's the point of making photos in a world where there are 2 billion images on Flickr" which I think basically boils it down, why do you make pictures?

http://www.bigredandshiny.com/cgi-bin/retrieve.pl?source=RSS&issue=issue119&section=article&article=20091016133834289803794155

Alec Soth posted:

This is the never ending struggle, I think storytelling is the most powerful art, for me. I just think there's nothing more satisfying than the narrative thrust: beginning, middle, and end, what's gonna happen. The thing I'm always bumping up against is that photography doesn't function that way. Because it's not a time-based medium, it's frozen in time, they suggest stories, they don't tell stories. So it is not narrative. So it functions much more like poetry than it does like the novel. It's just these impressions and you leave it to the viewer to put together.

He used to have a blog and it was always brilliant, I wish he hadn't quit that. His Sleeping by the Mississippi book is one of my all time favorites:

McMadCow posted:

Since there's been so much talk of Avedon, I'd just like to remind Bay Area Dorkroomers that the Avedon show at the MOMA closes on 11-29. If you haven't seen it yet, FOR SHAME. Hopefully I'm making a third visit tomorrow after work if the swine flu hasn't caught hold of me by then... :(

I've been to that four times, sooooo good. I thought it was a good choice to minimize the fashion stuff and have it be mostly portraits. The 'American West' series is my favorite work by Avedon and it was awesome seeing those prints in person. SFMOMA has had tons of good photo shows lately.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 20, 2009

brad industry
May 22, 2004
This stuff by Antony Crossfield rules

^ good on so many levels jesus

http://www.antonycrossfield.com/

NYC goons should go check it out:

quote:

Antony Crossfield, Foreign Body
Oct 29 – Dec 19 at Klompching Gallery
Opening reception Nov 5, 6pm-8pm
111 Front Street, Suite 206
Brooklyn, NY

brad industry fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 20, 2009

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

brad industry posted:

If it means anything to you, I can see his influence on your photos.

EDIT: Oh god, a day after this post and I realized I confused this thread with the Photo Inspiration thread

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 23, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Fbi2thegrave posted:

why would you ever have that policy in the first place

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

brad industry posted:

Holy god that looks like a painting to me.
Man.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Harsh dude, harsh.

But yeah., looking back, I explained myself dumbly - what I should have said that usually I keep things as they come out of camera and if I do tweak the colour saturation, it's usually up by a little to make things look light and bright when it is stuff like flowers and greenery

Stuff like architectural work will get desaturated a little.

I've never considered drastically desaturating people, though. I think I will give it a try in the future.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Sarah Stolfa: The Regulars

There's nothing at all complicated about these, but when I picked up the book I just couldn't put it down. Just once I'd like to have a good idea and see it through like this.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

jackpot posted:

I bet that dude knows what nemesis means.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Tres Burritos posted:

Holy god that looks like a painting to me.
Man.

And with good reason, read the artists statement on it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

This guy makes me want to get a medium format camera http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnifik1/

I'm just a sucker for urban shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

brad industry posted:

TBH I think most of his stuff is too little photographic skill, too much "how well can we mix photos together in photoshop"

• Locked thread