Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

brad industry posted:

Those are pretty rad, I've been wanting to do a shoot in a pool or something because water does such interesting things to light.

Jill Greenberg did a pretty sweet editorial for Radar with synchronized swimmers about a year ago.

This is spectacular. The colors just jump out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

spog posted:

I am guessing expose for the sky, then a big light rig set up high to expose the foreground.

Kind of ironic to do all that and have it end up looking like a photoshop HDR hack-job
Or he used film?

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
I've been a musician and all around music freak since for as long as I can remember. It was actually the photography on the covers of a lot of those albums that originally got me interested in photography outside of underwater photography.

Richard Avedon's Beatles portraits started it all but what really drove it over the edge for me were Elliot Landy's photos of the Band for their first two albums

These photos might just speak to me so much because they are one of my favorite Bands of all time and their is so much romanticism surrounding Dylan and the Band in the late 60s. Either way they are some of my favorites.

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

notlodar posted:

Or he used film?

Yeah. That photo is at least 27 years old.
From the album cover of "A Broken Frame", which came out in 1982.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

notlodar posted:

Or he used film?

plaguedoctor posted:

Yeah. That photo is at least 27 years old.
From the album cover of "A Broken Frame", which came out in 1982.

I am not surprised that he used film, but I don't think that is significant: that photo's main characteristics suggest to me a big lighting rig.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
First, a few pictures that I just like. I know nothing of the photographers.

My friend took this one:

Probably my favorite photographer that I know by name is Joey Lawrence. He's a phenom. Here's some of his poo poo (sorry, these are a little big, but this is a photography thread, and the detail is worth it):

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

spog posted:

I am not surprised that he used film, but I don't think that is significant: that photo's main characteristics suggest to me a big lighting rig.

I get ya. I think my main thing was that it seems like a modern photograph, even though it's almost 30 years old.

And, thinking about it, he most definitely used a big lighting rig.

So, technically, I understand the photo. But I still think it's a badass picture. It seems like it mixes the usable parts of HDR tomfoolery with traditional portraiture and then a little bit of "something else".

But maybe I'm too stuck in the 80s.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

plaguedoctor posted:

I get ya. I think my main thing was that it seems like a modern photograph, even though it's almost 30 years old.

And, thinking about it, he most definitely used a big lighting rig.

So, technically, I understand the photo. But I still think it's a badass picture. It seems like it mixes the usable parts of HDR tomfoolery with traditional portraiture and then a little bit of "something else".

But maybe I'm too stuck in the 80s.

It is a really cool photo. I'm guessing a high saturation/contrast slide film with lots of strobe and the shutter speed high enough to underexpose the ambient by 2+ stops. Neat technique. I use it on the occasional out door wedding shoot, works just as well with a DSLR.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Fangs404 posted:

Probably my favorite photographer that I know by name is Joey Lawrence. He's a phenom. Here's some of his poo poo (sorry, these are a little big, but this is a photography thread, and the detail is worth it):

Nah, big pictures are good. I really dig that guys Holy Men series, thanks for the link.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
RIP Larry Sultan :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/14/arts/14sultan.html?_r=1

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Fangs404 posted:

First, a few pictures that I just like. I know nothing of the photographers.

My friend took this one:

Joey Lawrence owns because he just dropped a bunch of (trust fund money, afaik) cash on gear, and decided "i want to be a photographer," went out, taught himself photographer and traveled the world taking pictures.

Now he's destined to be one of the all time greats.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Joey Lawrence owns because he just dropped a bunch of (trust fund money, afaik) cash on gear, and decided "i want to be a photographer," went out, taught himself photographer and traveled the world taking pictures.

Joey Lawrence makes me absolutely jealous, he's only three years older than me and is already really successful.

Carl De Keyzer is one my favourite photographers. He's a Belgian member of Magnum and is one of the photographers in the Belgian scene. He recently published a book on Congo and the remnants of the Belgian Colonial buildings there. I'm involved in a similar project and I'll be having an audience with him in february where he will evaluate my pictures. *glee*

Click here for the full 1280x421 image.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

Ehh, I don't know about that. I'd say he's destined to be the next Chase Jarvis. Decent photographer, complete marketing whore, but not one of the 'all-time greats'.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Nah. James Nachtwey is

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Fists Up posted:

Nah. James Nachtwey is

Seconded. With a lot of war/conflict photographers you can almost say "well, I could take something like that if I was in Iraq/Afghanistan/Somalia" but Nachtwey is a great photographer as well as a ballsy one.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
I loved the instructions he was giving to the dude doings his prints in War Photographer.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Mannequin posted:

This series speaks to me because I've always been interested in work spaces for many years, especially now that I work in a place that has a very griddy and fascinating machine shop upstairs, which has been in use since the 1920's and has a lot of character to it. One day I'll go up there and do some proper photos of it.

This series is awesome. I've wanted to do this as well. I really enjoyed his CBGB shots and the story behind them.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Fists Up posted:

Nah. James Nachtwey is
I'd agree with that.

Martin Parr is a British documentary photographer, photojournalist and collector. He is known for his photographic projects that take a critical look at modern society, specifically consumerism, foreign travel and tourism, motoring, family and relationships, and food.

I guess his photographs aren't 'awesome' in many cases until viewed as part of an exhibition.

Here's a vid which reveals his thinking.

His official site- the faq is worth a read
Magnum site

If you're in the UK his Parrworld exhibition is currently on at the Baltic in Gateshead.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Eros Hoagland is the best working conflict photographer in the world

Im still a massive James Nachtwey fanboy, think hes slowing down with his conflict stuff now though.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm just going to post a link since none of this chicks stuff is safe for work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marielclayton/sets/72157620381594022/

It's awesome if you like crazy hosed up poo poo.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

fronkpies posted:

Im still a massive James Nachtwey fanboy, think hes slowing down with his conflict stuff now though.

Yeh he is getting a bit old for doing the intense war stuff but a lot of his other stuff is amazing as well. Like his recent trips looking at fundamentalists in Indonesia and stuff.

If anyone is interested in this they should check out War Photographer. Its even on youtube. The guy is just amazing. Seems so softly spoken and wise beyond words. Really cares about what hes photographing.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I've always liked Annie Leibovitz's portraits of the Bush administration that she did for Vanity Fair's An Oral History of the Bush White House

It's like characters from The Sopranos or something, they work perfectly with the story. I don't know what it is, but its great every time I see them.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Technically they are good photos, but I can't look at them without shuddering from the pure evil emanating off my monitor. So much human suffering generated by these individuals.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Frinkahedron posted:

I've always liked Annie Leibovitz's portraits of the Bush administration that she did for Vanity Fair's

It's like characters from The Sopranos or something, they work perfectly with the story. I don't know what it is, but its great every time I see them.

Is that first one a composite?

I am not sure if I like something photoshopped together when it is to do with a news article. It doesn't feel like it has any integrity.

On the other hand, I really do like the individual portraits.

fuck you aurora
Jan 1, 2007

by mons all madden

poopinmymouth posted:

Technically they are good photos, but I can't look at them without shuddering from the pure evil emanating off my monitor. So much human suffering generated by these individuals.

They not that great, I don't know why but Leibovitz's photos never really gripped me. Maybe they're just technically great, but they don't always draw me in like some of the other photos posted in the thread. The tilted expression of Bush is really annoying me.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spog posted:

Is that first one a composite?

If it's Leibovitz, it almost definitely is.

This one grabbed me the first time I saw it, then again when it was on that 3-parter "best photos of 2009" linked previously. It's from a serious of photos shot along the North Korean/Chinese border with a telephoto (and extension tubes, I think).

Click here for the full 990x630 image.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If it's Leibovitz, it almost definitely is.

This one grabbed me the first time I saw it, then again when it was on that 3-parter "best photos of 2009" linked previously. It's from a serious of photos shot along the North Korean/Chinese border with a telephoto (and extension tubes, I think).

Click here for the full 990x630 image.

Holy poo poo that's stunning.

My girlfriend is finishing up her BFA in Photography at Columbia College in Chicago. She's been a big influence on me as a photographer and has helped me make the transition from Underwater Photography to doing things topside. Anyway, she is finally putting her stuff up online and will hopefully have a website soon.

Here's some of her shots.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Haggins posted:

I'm just going to post a link since none of this chicks stuff is safe for work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marielclayton/sets/72157620381594022/

It's awesome if you like crazy hosed up poo poo.

She has some great stuff. Her Chess set (har har) is great.

I love that one.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
I'm really annoyed at her photo of the Obama family. Barack is slightly blurry, I don't like the density of the shadows in Michelle's hair and torso, and the background is overly informal feels sloppy to me. There's some lights right over Malia's head, and a painting growing out of Sasha's head, and what looks like a chair behind them trying to squeeze into the middle of the shot. It looks like someone sat them down, shoved a camera into Leibovitz's hands, and maybe even pushed the button for her. If she was going for "informal," well, she certainly got it.

I DO, however, think it clever to have posed Sasha next to her dad, and Malia next to her mom, as they respectively share resemblances.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:The_First_Family_of_the_United_States,_the_Obama_family_portrait.jpg

gently caress you aurora posted:

They not that great, I don't know why but Leibovitz's photos never really gripped me. Maybe they're just technically great, but they don't always draw me in like some of the other photos posted in the thread. The tilted expression of Bush is really annoying me.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

This guy has a really cool set on blood (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanjay/sets/72157623316483276/). I've been wanting to make fake blood, and I think I'm gonna do it sooner rather than later.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Here are some others I've come across.

This guy has a really awesome creepy set.

This chick has some really fantastic fantasy-type pictures.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Heinrich Heidersberger:

Alternative URLs since Waffleimages is about to die:

unleash the unicorn fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 11, 2012

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I found out about landscape photographer Jack Brauer the other day, and became an instant fan. His work looks a lot like that of Galen Rowell's, the famed National Geographic photographer who was killed in a plane crash about 10 years ago.

Galen? Is that you?

Unlike Rowell, however, who primarily used the Nikon F5, Jack uses the 4x5 Tachihara field camera for many of his shots. (Up until recently, you could buy this camera new from B&H, Calumet or Adorama for around $1,500. Now it only exists on eBay. Not sure what happened there.) According to Brauer's website, he switched over to the Canon 5D Mk II and T/S lenses about a year ago.

In addition to his great landscapes, he is also an accomplished snowboarder and climber. And when he's not selling $200-$5,000 prints he is making websites for other photographers.

Because of his success, he is able to travel the world over.

Sounds like the perfect job to me!

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 23, 2010

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Fangs404 posted:

Aha yes. Joey Lawrence rules. Considering buying his DVD.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
So I got a book on Edward Steichen from the library called 'Edward Steichen: Lives in Photography' and theres one part that blows my mind. Steichen was commissioned by the Stehli Silk Corporation to create patterns for them. He took common objects and lit them all crazy and shot them from above to create really cool shadows and shapes, totally abstracted it. Can't find many of them on the web, but in the book they look amazing.

These are matches and matchboxes. He also did the same thing with sugar cubes, moth balls, and glases. So freaking cool.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

A really slick blog for cool photography projects:

http://thephotographypost.com/

and a really cool set of government workers around the world:

http://www.ignant.de/2010/02/24/bureaucratics-von-jan-banning/

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

and a really cool set of government workers around the world:

http://www.ignant.de/2010/02/24/bureaucratics-von-jan-banning/
Oh hey, fantastic!

There are actually quite a few more than posted there, I think the whole series is on his own website. It was exhibited not too long ago at the Free University in Amsterdam, and there it included commentary giving additional info about how much money they made, how they worked and how they got their job. It was really fascinating to read, and quite sobering to see some guy sitting there in an office stacked to the top with files containing tens of thousands of papers maintaining them for a salary of like €30 a month.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Among many things wrong in the world, I was born too late to ever get the chance to shoot with 4x5 Kodachrome :qq:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

unleash the unicorn posted:

Heinrich Heidersberger:

Jesus. Not only do I absolutely adore the architecture in this shot, but I feel like I could cut myself on those edges. What did he shoot with? What kind of film? I can't see that kind of sharpness coming from anything less than a 4x5 with tech pan, or something. Was his camera screwed into the bedrock?

orange lime fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

orange lime posted:

Jesus. Not only do I absolutely adore the architecture in this shot, but I feel like I could cut myself on those edges. What did he shoot with? What kind of film? I can't see that kind of sharpness coming from anything less than a 4x5 with tech pan, or something. Was his camera screwed into the bedrock?

I've spent some time studying that too, and from what I can tell it looks to be:

a.) A very bright morning (makes for a nice, small aperture)
b.) Probably a 100 or lower ASA film.
c.) Short-ish shutter speed, probably less than 1 minute
d.) Cast iron tripod

• Locked thread