Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.
That's absolutely beautiful. I hope I wont sound noobish when I ask this, but who made it?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Just click on it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Arinel posted:

That's absolutely beautiful. I hope I wont sound noobish when I ask this, but who made it?

Like Helmacron said, the pic is also a link back to the photographer's Flickr. It's just "some guy" though (I found it through his post on Large Format Photography forum), nobody famous or anything.

One thing I noticed posting it that I didn't before is that the front rail/bed of his camera is visible at the bottom of the frame (the blurry thing), which is a bit of a noobish mistake itself. I wonder if he thought cropping it out would mess up his composition too much.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Seeing poo poo like that on the ground glass is hard in the dark.

I hate it when good Flickr users don't have a portfolio. I don't want to look through their stream - I want the edited and thoughtfully sequenced version. Flickr is such a terrible way to look at multiple images.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Here are some images of a thesis project from one of the MFA students I worked with.
He takes model ships and train sets and stuff like that, breaks them up, then builds aquatic installations out of them to construct scenes from a future post-apocalypse.

I think his work is pretty damned awesome.

http://www.bennettmorris.com/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

brad industry posted:

Seeing poo poo like that on the ground glass is hard in the dark.

I hate it when good Flickr users don't have a portfolio. I don't want to look through their stream - I want the edited and thoughtfully sequenced version. Flickr is such a terrible way to look at multiple images.

It is, but the guy who wrote the LF landscape book I was reading recently says his method is to lock the front standard to the front of the rail and do all adjustments/movements with the rear. He only touches the front if he has to.

FlickrRiver helps make Flickr browsing more palatable (and you can sort by "most interesting"), although I get what you mean.

Came across this on someone's 8x10 "take a portrait of a different stranger every day" project blog.

My Cakes are LOL
Jan 14, 2008

How could the devil turn the blue sky black?
How many babies born will ever reach their dreams?
And how could a person call another person wack?
Came to post Benoit Paille the moment I saw the thread title, but the OP and Mannequin beat me to it. Here's a few more by him that I like a lot:

Click here for the full 1280x1280 image.

Click here for the full 1024x1195 image.

Click here for the full 900x900 image.

Click here for the full 800x800 image.

Click here for the full 800x800 image.

Click here for the full 1024x1024 image.

Click here for the full 1024x1024 image.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
That last one is the one I whip out as a counter example whenever someone says "the best portraits are in black and white."

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Wow, his work is fantastic.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Santa is strapped posted:

I'd complain about breaking tables, but the shots look just fantastic so large.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Here are some images of a thesis project from one of the MFA students I worked with.
He takes model ships and train sets and stuff like that, breaks them up, then builds aquatic installations out of them to construct scenes from a future post-apocalypse.

I think his work is pretty damned awesome.

Agreed, I think this is an awesome idea. Had I seen these and not been told the method, I definitely would have written them off as not being photographs.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Oh god the dynamic range. :supaburn: Is that something you'd only get with film?

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 16, 2010

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Quote =! Edit

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

JaundiceDave posted:

That last one is the one I whip out as a counter example whenever someone says "the best portraits are in black and white."

Funnily enough thats exactly what I thought when I saw it. I'm guessing he shoots film, correct?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I'm guessing he shoots film, correct?

I could be wrong, but the last one looks digital with heavy editing.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

fronkpies posted:

I could be wrong, but the last one looks digital with heavy editing.

You're right, he shoots with a 5D.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Every time I come to this thread I see this photo and I'm sorry, but it just looks like a half rear end point and shoot photo. The other photo is great, but this one, not so much.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Bojanglesworth posted:

Every time I come to this thread I see this photo and I'm sorry, but it just looks like a half rear end point and shoot photo. The other photo is great, but this one, not so much.
Look at the verticals then try again.

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli

Pompous Rhombus posted:

FlickrRiver helps make Flickr browsing more palatable (and you can sort by "most interesting"), although I get what you mean.

Wow, this is perfect. Thank you so much for posting this. You've made browsing flickr so much easier and natural. Scroll, scroll, scroll, all day long!

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

teamgod posted:

Wow, this is perfect. Thank you so much for posting this. You've made browsing flickr so much easier and natural. Scroll, scroll, scroll, all day long!

I got sick of the way flickr makes you view peoples photostreams too a few days ago and knocked this up in a couple of nights - http://superpositionkitty.com/bettr/ (more here - http://superpositionkitty.com/2010/05/introducing-bettr/ ).

I know it doesn't have scroll, scroll, scroll, all day long (I may actually add infinite scroll for that, but I'm not sure how that'll deal properly with flickr's harsh api rules), and it's still a little slow sometimes, but maybe somebody will find it as useful as I do.

EDIT: See below post for updated version.

I HATE CARS fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 26, 2010

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bojanglesworth posted:

To my eye, it looks nothing like a point and shoot- the tonality, the sharpness, his post processing, the subject - no p&s can achieve this quality.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The reason that picture is interesting is because of the composition.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

To my eye, it looks nothing like a point and shoot- the tonality, the sharpness, his post processing, the subject - no p&s can achieve this quality.

I think they can, why couldn't they? Not straight out of the camera, sure, but with a little editing, which I'm sure this photo has also undergone.

And it's not a terrible photo to me, but it does look semi-snapshottish. The composition is great, but you can totally rule of thirds a flower and it's still a flower. It's just a street, and some super-straight buildings.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Helmacron posted:

And it's not a terrible photo to me, but it does look semi-snapshottish. The composition is great, but you can totally rule of thirds a flower and it's still a flower. It's just a street, and some super-straight buildings.

(look at the first two lamposts)

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

The detail at 30x40 on a photo like that should also be pretty amazing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jonathan Quick is 6'1". Thanks to some fun with angles, one of the Kings' photographers makes him look god damned enormous. Linked because it looks better large.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

DJExile posted:

Jonathan Quick is 6'1". Thanks to some fun with angles, one of the Kings' photographers makes him look god damned enormous. Linked because it looks better large.

Is there any EXIF data for that shot? I want to know if he used a fisheye or what to get him entirely within the frame.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kazy posted:

Is there any EXIF data for that shot? I want to know if he used a fisheye or what to get him entirely within the frame.

I wish. :sigh: It's from FlyingLemur's hi-res photo thread over in SAS.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

I HATE CARS posted:

I got sick of the way flickr makes you view peoples photostreams too a few days ago and knocked this up in a couple of nights - http://superpositionkitty.com/bettr/ (more here - http://superpositionkitty.com/2010/05/introducing-bettr/ ).

I know it doesn't have scroll, scroll, scroll, all day long (I may actually add infinite scroll for that, but I'm not sure how that'll deal properly with flickr's harsh api rules), and it's still a little slow sometimes, but maybe somebody will find it as useful as I do.

This is awesome. Now make it so I can put my own username at the end of the URL and send it to my friends. Please.

Edit #1: (Superplusplusdoublegood: Let me navigate to individual pages)

Edit #2: The scaling seems a bit "quick and dirty", is that possible?

unleash the unicorn fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 25, 2010

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

unleash the unicorn posted:

This is awesome. Now make it so I can put my own username at the end of the URL and send it to my friends. Please.

(Superplusplusdoublegood: Let me navigate to individual pages)

Hah, I was wondering why I was getting so many hits on that app today.

Okay, you've convinced me - I'll see what I can do for you with that.

EDIT: The scaling is using the medium-sized images from Flickr - which are the only reliably sized images you can pull through the api. It scales by finding the width of your browser and then scales each image individually to be the correct width to fit three columns to a page. What do you think is 'quick and dirty' about it?

I HATE CARS fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 25, 2010

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

I HATE CARS posted:

Hah, I was wondering why I was getting so many hits on that app today.

Okay, you've convinced me - I'll see what I can do for you with that.

That would be great, thank you!

Nic Cage dick cage
Jun 23, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I HATE CARS posted:

Help ma Boab! That's great. It'll encourage me to browse through some photostreams more often. Thanks.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

I HATE CARS posted:

Am I retarded, when I go to that page and put my user name in nothing happens. :/

I am retarded.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

I HATE CARS fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 26, 2010

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utrolige-historier/artikkel.php?artid=10007099 has a fantastic :nms: bullfighting picture, though it's more about the subject matter than the photography?

Still I wanted to post it somewhere..

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bojanglesworth posted:

Am I retarded, when I go to that page and put my user name in nothing happens. :/

I am retarded.

I'm retarded too because I don't understand it either... I tried a bunch of things and nothing works.

Greybone posted:

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/utrolige-historier/artikkel.php?artid=10007099 has a fantastic :nms: bullfighting picture, though it's more about the subject matter than the photography?

Still I wanted to post it somewhere..

Why is he smoking a cigar while doing that matador thing :downs:?.... OH poo poo

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

KingColliwog posted:

I'm retarded too because I don't understand it either... I tried a bunch of things and nothing works.

The reason it wasnt working for me was because I was trying to use my sign in name and not my actual user name. When you go to flickr and it says "Hello, KingColliwog" its that name. Im not sure if thats what you are trying or not, but thats where my mistake was.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Bojanglesworth posted:

The reason it wasnt working for me was because I was trying to use my sign in name and not my actual user name. When you go to flickr and it says "Hello, KingColliwog" its that name. Im not sure if thats what you are trying or not, but thats where my mistake was.

haha thanks, some how I used King Colliwog with a space on flickr... Like the only place I did that so that's why it wasn't working.

Really nice site, I love it. Does it resize images though? Some look weird

Edit : I just saw it was mentionned earlier. By quick and dirty he means that some images look like they've been resized with paint or something. They don't look sharp and look like they have some artefacting going on.

edit 2 : I just looked at images that really suffer from this and it's because they were made bigger so there's probably not much that can be done if you can't use the large images as source.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

unleash the unicorn posted:

Okay, done: http://bettr.superpositionkitty.com/

You can link to peoples 'pages' on bettr like so: http://bettr.superpositionkitty.com/#/harry kaufmann/.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Added error checking to tell you where to find their username.

KingColliwog posted:

edit 2 : I just looked at images that really suffer from this and it's because they were made bigger so there's probably not much that can be done if you can't use the large images as source.

Yep, I'm afraid if the width of your images is much less than 500px you'll get some bad resizing.

Anyway, let me know if you guys find any bad bugs in it, I've done the best I can at a short notice but it may have some errors as I could only test the latest versions of firefox, chrome, and opera. Also any other feature requests are welcome.

I HATE CARS fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 26, 2010

• Locked thread