Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
I got in; wohoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugyousha
Sep 24, 2007
Just (s)trolling by...
I just applied (with a M&B-Key, which will hopefully help...). Looking forward to this!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
New version .640 out, complete with texture bugs for everyone. Haven't seen a change log yet but everything is causing knockdown and its easier to kick with forward momentum. Hopefully they'll release a quickfix soon and a log with it.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Mongoose posted:

New version .640 out, complete with texture bugs for everyone. Haven't seen a change log yet but everything is causing knockdown and its easier to kick with forward momentum. Hopefully they'll release a quickfix soon and a log with it.

How did you get the new version? Usually it send me an e-mail link but no e-mail this time and when I try to go to the manual download server I get an internal server error message. All the server are already upgraded to .640 too.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

TheNakedFantastic posted:

How did you get the new version? Usually it send me an e-mail link but no e-mail this time and when I try to go to the manual download server I get an internal server error message. All the server are already upgraded to .640 too.

Download 6.30 and use the 6.30 to 6.40 upgrade.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Are there any Canadian goons here who've gotten in? I want to know what my odds are. I'm getting antsy.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I just got into the warbands beta, but now I see no servers online. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
No, there's a new version out and you DLed the old one. You have to DL 6.30, then DL the 6.40 upgrade patch until they fix the DL for the current version.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

New version's full download is out.

http://download2.taleworlds.com/download/mb_warband_beta_setup_0640.exe

How the gently caress do I tell which side is which?

EDIT: NM, figured it out. The other guys don't have symbols over their heads.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 25, 2009

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, that reminds me. I was trying out the quick battle function and I noticed that it only shows a person's name when you mouse over them. How do I turn on MMO-style labels above a person's head?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, so I got in this morning and they linked me an version that was what, three releases back? Then I got the .640 one linked here a few posts back and apparently the servers are .635?

Yep, sure is beta season alrighty. :v:

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 26, 2009

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, i was just going to say, all the US servers are playing 6.35. Every server I'm allowed to join has a ping of over 100.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So any tips from people who have been playing Warband a while?

Haven't played a game yet, but I'm starting to realize that I doubt much of my single-player fighting style will be applicable.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So any tips from people who have been playing Warband a while?

Haven't played a game yet, but I'm starting to realize that I doubt much of my single-player fighting style will be applicable.

I'm not great at it myself but being able to block quickly, which means knowing from which direction someone is going to hit from (left,right,overhead,stab), is the most important factor in melee combat. With shields you don't have to worry about that (until your shield breaks) but you still need to watch the other persons block so you can know which direction they're going to block from and plan your own hit accordingly. You can block in the middle of a melee swing so don't be afraid to switch to a block if you think the other guy is going to hit you first. You can also kick (double tap W) to break a hit/block loop but that takes a little getting used to.

Combat in general feels a lot slower than in SP although you can die much faster. Basically everyone has the same stats as a low level grunt in SP would have and it can be a little awkward adjusting to the MP speed. Mostly it just takes getting used to the games hit detection and attack cycle speed.

As far as the team modes go always stick with your team, if you're alone you're going to die as soon as you happen onto two or three enemies, unless you're on a horse and can get away quickly. Don't be afraid to play dirty and gang on outnumbered enemies, they'll do the same to you. If you're calvary try to sneak up on enemies especially archers, if they see you coming though just keep running past them and look for other opportunities, it's pretty easy to take down calvary in this game. Couching is also a lot more dangerous in MP and you're probably going to be using the manual stab with lances as calvary a lot more.

TheNakedFantastic fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 26, 2009

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

As far as the team modes go always stick with your team, if you're alone you're going to die as soon as you happen onto two or three enemies, unless you're on a horse and can get away quickly. Don't be afraid to play dirty and gang on outnumbered enemies, they'll do the same to you. If you're calvary try to sneak up on enemies especially archers, if they see you coming though just keep running past them and look for other opportunities, it's pretty easy to take down calvary in this game. Couching is also a lot more dangerous in MP and you're probably going to be using the manual stab with lances as calvary a lot more.

An alternative is to go naked 2 hander and sneak around the enemy to go berserk on their flanks.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Haven't played online yet, but I poked around the tutorials and quick battles and... maybe I'm just used to my upper 20s characters, but has everything been slowed down? I swear everything feels sluggish, attacking, blocking, running. Also I can't figure out how to flank anymore, it used to be you could tap the block to cancel your wind up and change directions, can't seem to do that anymore.

Rockefeller
Oct 23, 2004

Does anyone have a link to 0.635? All the oceanic servers are running it and I can't find a download for it.

Rockefeller fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 26, 2009

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Rockefeller posted:

Does anyone have a link to 0.635? All the oceanic servers are running it and I can't find a download for it.

You can use the 6.30 to 6.35 patch on 6.40 and it'll work fine.

http://download2.taleworlds.com/download/mb_warband_beta_upgrade_0630_to_0635.exe

eesau
May 6, 2009
0.641 is out. They reverted back to the old vertex buffer system, and everything looks ok again!

This new version seems really laggy though, is it just me or did someone else notice? Also, I used to have a constant ping of about 35 before, now it's always over 130. Can't get any kills with a ping that high...

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

eesau posted:

0.641 is out. They reverted back to the old vertex buffer system, and everything looks ok again!

This new version seems really laggy though, is it just me or did someone else notice? Also, I used to have a constant ping of about 35 before, now it's always over 130. Can't get any kills with a ping that high...

have the US servers switched over yet?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Cheap Shot posted:

Are there any Canadian goons here who've gotten in? I want to know what my odds are. I'm getting antsy.

Right here, although I gotta say I would have preferred it if the beta included the new singleplayer, since the multiplayer is just your standard deathmatch most of the time, and not really any more fun that fighting against AI opponents in singleplayer battles.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Mr.48 posted:

Right here, although I gotta say I would have preferred it if the beta included the new singleplayer, since the multiplayer is just your standard deathmatch most of the time, and not really any more fun that fighting against AI opponents in singleplayer battles.

play on Battle mode with a full server and you'll see how it gets a lot more involved than your standard deathmatch. Squad tactics develop and it gets really intense and fun.

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004
Or siege, my favourite game type so far.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

PlantHead posted:

Or siege, my favourite game type so far.

siege (and all the free respawn modes) frustrates me because people are a whole lot less cautious about dying (since they respawn right away) so it's a whole lot of 'run forward / press attack / durr' play style. Castle3 does look pretty cool though. Battle is played a lot slower / more thoughtful, so I like it a lot more. Also there is a whole lot more for cavalry to do in battles rather than sieges. I also am old and boring so I don't mind waiting to respawn while I watch the rest of my team win / lose, so YMMV

Anybody else getting terrible framerates in .641? Mine went down to the high teens from the 80's before.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Any Euros playing? I'm owning the servers as FrankieMuniz420, currently. Seems like siege is the most popular over here.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Finally found a US server, and I'm having a lot more fun now that my ping is manageable. Look for Huscarl_Winslow

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Mount&Blade Warband Beta Version 0.641 is out.

quote:

Version 0.641 changes:
------------------------
Rolled back vertex buffer system to the old one for the time being.
Fixed weapons causing knock-back indiscriminately.
Various other bugs fixed.

Version 0.640 changes:
------------------------
Gold is now set to a minimum of 1000.
Lances are held further back for couched-lancing, extending the range.
It is now possible to kick regardless of speed, however it will be slower to switch to kick animation if you are running.
Changed horseback swing limitation system so that the system now favors attack to the sides when the attack would otherwise hit the

horse's neck.
Fixed bugs with turn speed limitation system while running/attacking.
Fine-tuning to crush-through system.
New vertex buffer management method.

If you are already running a previous version of the game, you can copy and paste the link below to the address bar of your browser to download the latest patch (~29MB):
http://download2.taleworlds.com/download/mb_warband_beta_upgrade_0500_to_0641.exe

If you need the full installer for any reason, here's the link for that too (~475MB):
http://download2.taleworlds.com/download/mb_warband_beta_setup_0641.exe

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

One thing I don't understand about couching, assuming the lances/spears are the same length, will a couch always beat a manual thrust or can a manual thrust beat a couch if it's timed right?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

One thing I don't understand about couching, assuming the lances/spears are the same length, will a couch always beat a manual thrust or can a manual thrust beat a couch if it's timed right?

previous to this version, a manual thrust could outrange (slightly) the couch AND you could adjust the aim of the stab a lot easier than couching. The new version, though, seems like couching is a whole lot better than thrusting. I've only had about 15 minutes play on the new one though.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Is there any way to play this without a M&B serial? :(

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh man all input seems laggy as heck. Feels like there's a second-long delay on my swings and blocking and it makes it unplayable. I sweat the retail version of the game played much more responsibly, yet this plays like I'm swimming in molasses with a 31 ping.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

tylertfb posted:

previous to this version, a manual thrust could outrange (slightly) the couch AND you could adjust the aim of the stab a lot easier than couching. The new version, though, seems like couching is a whole lot better than thrusting. I've only had about 15 minutes play on the new one though.

About drat time - there was some wierd subset of beta testers that wanted riding thrusts to be better than couched hits, which doesn't make sense from a skill or common sense point.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cyberbob posted:

Is there any way to play this without a M&B serial? :(
You have to apply to the multiplayer beta, whether or not you bought the game. You don't need a key to get accepted to the beta, but it helps.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
hm, getting "Confirmation code is incorrect. Make sure that you have clicked on the confirmation link only once. If you have clicked more than once, then most probably your application has already been confirmed." even though i just received the email now, and only clicked once :(

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
do we have a list of names of players in the beta from this thread? In the game my names are:

Spinoza
Robert, Robert Kirk
or
Adam Cherlampeter

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Oh, hey, i was just playing with you. I'm Huscarl Winslow.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
There was a list in the old thread but I guess we can post again. I'm in as Fable.

Two questions:

quote:

Gold is now set to a minimum of 1000.

Does this literally mean you will always start with at least 1k gold aka you can now actually buy equipment EVERY round?

And

tylertfb posted:

One thing I've never been able to figure out is what 'couching' actually means in-game. In the original game SP the cheap and easy way to make money was to equip a lance and then simple ride around fast enough for the lance to lower by itself and then ride into people with its point. This did shitloads of damage. And then you could click (or hold) the mouse button and release for a thrust.

In this game the first method doesn't seem to work anymore, does couching just mean clicking the mouse button and holding it until you hit something, without releasing it to do a thrust? Or does it mean that what I said first, not doing any but simply riding fast and let the lance lower itself, is now back in the game (i.e. does damage)?

Opal fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 27, 2009

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

the periodic fable posted:

There was a list in the old thread but I guess we can post again. I'm in as Fable.

Two questions:

Does this literally mean you will always start with at least 1k gold aka you can now actually buy equipment EVERY round?

And

One thing I've never been able to figure out is what 'couching' actually means in-game. In the original game SP the cheap and easy way to make money was to equip a lance and then simple ride around fast enough for the lance to lower by itself and then hit people. This did shitloads of damage. And then you could click (or hold) the mouse button and release for a thrust.

In this game the first method doesn't seem to work anymore, does couching just mean clicking the mouse button and holding it until you hit something, without releasing it to do a thrust? Or does it mean that what I said first, not doing any but simply riding fast and let the lance lower itself, is now back in the game (i.e. does damage)?

Couching still works like in singleplayer it's just a bit harder to aim. Just build up some speed and the lance will automatially lower, and try to line up your target with your lance as much as possible when you pass them.

I like the tweaks they made to the couching system in .641, it's a lot more predictable without being too overpowered. Mostly just make sure your lance is on the same side as your target and if you're close enough you'll hit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man, I suck at this. :smith:

Especially when I got stuck a Swadia against Vaegir in a city battle map. Enemy archers everywhere and all we got were crossbows, which couldn't really counter them effectively in those conditions. Any suggestions for melee combat? Everything feels so drat random right now, but I know it isn't. I've mainly been trying to use spear/shield but I can't seem to stab with it nearly as fast as I've seen others.

[edit] Ok, I'm starting to get the hang of things, everything still feels so "off" from original M&B though. Nice playing with ya Huscarl_Winslow. I was Rostakos.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Nov 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Couching still works like in singleplayer it's just a bit harder to aim. Just build up some speed and the lance will automatially lower, and try to line up your target with your lance as much as possible when you pass them.

I like the tweaks they made to the couching system in .641, it's a lot more predictable without being too overpowered. Mostly just make sure your lance is on the same side as your target and if you're close enough you'll hit.

Couched lancing is really really easy now. I thought it needed a tiny range boost over version .635, but it seems to have gotten a huge one in .641. I've only had a little time playing the new version (due to graphics issues...it's choppy as hell for me now) but I got so many ridiculous couch kills. I am a pretty dedicated cav player, and I was regularly going 18 - 4 (kills to deaths), with more than half of those kills being couched kills, on most battle maps before. It's going to be crazy now.