Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

That is actually great to know. I forget though if they have the same stats :thunk:.

Khan's guard do have better skills but it's very possible weapon skills don't actually work for troops and even if they do the weapon stats probably outweigh skill.

Enigma posted:

Interesting.

Is there a way to check troop equipment like there was in warband?

Unfortunately there's no convenient way to do so. All you can do is look at the troop in question and go "oh hey I recognize that item and know it has x stats." In the case of the mameluke heavy cav I only really noticed it since the noble bow looks particularly different from other bows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Oh man I just got nailed by a couched lance for the first time and oof 133 damage on easy.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Enigma posted:

Oh man I just got nailed by a couched lance for the first time and oof 133 damage on easy.

Yeah that one always hurts. Usually they get my horse and not me. However, getting unhorsed is a very harrowing experience in this game, which usually involves getting mobbed an murdered a minute later.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Lance troopers are loving brutal on Realistic both to the enemy and to you.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Gobblecoque posted:

Khan's guard do have better skills but it's very possible weapon skills don't actually work for troops and even if they do the weapon stats probably outweigh skill.

Unfortunately there's no convenient way to do so. All you can do is look at the troop in question and go "oh hey I recognize that item and know it has x stats." In the case of the mameluke heavy cav I only really noticed it since the noble bow looks particularly different from other bows.

I haven't really used Mameluke cav all that much. It's hard to say how much (or if at all) skills impact troops, in part because troop skills are so drat ubiquitous and high. Supposedly combat AI is based on the troop's weapon skill, and it feels like Khan's Guards are much better than the non-elite Khuzait horse archers at actually landing shots. Fian Champions, who have the same bow skill, will shoot further and hit more reliably than, say, Imperial Palantine Guard archers, but how much of that is tied up in bow skill vs better base bows, who knows.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Enigma posted:

If I wanted to have a mixed army rather than just a horde of horse archers (like, say, I was hit on the head or something) what sort of ratio of troop types works best and which kingdom is fun?
I aim for 1:2:1 infantry:archers:cavalry

My first playthrough I went with Aserai, but this playthrough I'm going with the Vlandian. Really loving those Vlandian knights, they kick rear end. I have them follow me and then charge into the rear of the enemy archers.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
My favorite bit with the Vlandians is how their higher-tier crossbowmen all carry pavise shields so they're remarkably effective even in a brawl. If the infantry get close enough it's not a bad idea to tell them to hold fire and charge.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So anyone tested yet how the map dynamic changes if you start thinning out the lords en masse? I’ve been starting a genocide against all non-imperials as a imperial vassal, does the map eventually just flood with bandits if most of the clans just get guillotined?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think the AI does some chopping, since I notice some clans I want to get in my kingdom have 1-2 members.

I wish there were some other ways of having a conflict between entities, like a vendetta against a specific clan, that could go on as long as ruler of kingdom doesn't ask you to calm down "or else..".

Or at least a way to sack the city/castle, knocking down improvements for mad coins.

Still I really enjoy the game in it's present form, it scratches that itch...

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Yes, AI does very limited chopping, you can in fact get a quest from a noble to catch his specific enemy so he can “deal with it once and for all”.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Enigma posted:

As a holdover from learning the hard way in M&B1, I will always peel off an attack if the enemy is playing chicken with me with a counched lance or a cocked spear. Gone wrong too many times.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

GruntyThrst posted:

As a holdover from learning the hard way in M&B1, I will always peel off an attack if the enemy is playing chicken with me with a counched lance or a cocked spear. Gone wrong too many times.
Yep, you want to circle around and come at them from the side.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Yep, you want to circle around and come at them from the side.

Yeah, I did in Warband (or just got the longest lance and aimed for the horse's head), I just had never been hit by a couched lance in Bannerlord, or even seen the AI try, so I got careless.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
This mod allows you to cut through multiple enemies in one swing, and is extremely satisfying if you've got one of those cutting polearms and enjoy that dynasty warriors feel.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/344

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Now is there a mod that will let me put in DW3 music?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Enigma posted:

Yeah, I did in Warband (or just got the longest lance and aimed for the horse's head), I just had never been hit by a couched lance in Bannerlord, or even seen the AI try, so I got careless.

This is why you get smithing to wazoo and learn THE REACH. tier 5 pike shaft and long glaive blade as two-armed polearm. Length 270, So about lance and a half. Takes about a minute to swing, So wind up half a mile before impact, release swing at 300 feet and watch the opponent eat dirt ten feet before your horses head :P

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Valtonen posted:

This is why you get smithing to wazoo and learn THE REACH. tier 5 pike shaft and long glaive blade as two-armed polearm. Length 270, So about lance and a half. Takes about a minute to swing, So wind up half a mile before impact, release swing at 300 feet and watch the opponent eat dirt ten feet before your horses head :P

Also does like, 5 damage. Which doesn't matter when you're running full tilt and it's multiplied at 100, but still.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

GruntyThrst posted:

Also does like, 5 damage. Which doesn't matter when you're running full tilt and it's multiplied at 100, but still.

160. So enough to oneshot from walking, 200-350 from gallop. The 4.9 cutting modifier on the tier 5 blade is amazing.

The inventory screen shows obe-handed damage unless two-handed is selected, leading to ”swing damage: 5”

The real downside (aside the obvious ”cant hit anyone inside the same county”) is the looong windup and release. Its literally 3-4 second swing from beginning to the end.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 25, 2020

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Beta patch is trash because it made a change that negatively affects my playstyle. Peasants now upgrade into their culture specific recruits instead of Watchmen. This means that access to the highly versatile Merc tree is restricted to rarely showing up in taverns.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The rules for smithing cutting polearms are weird. Only certain poles actually give any base swing damage, so even with that 4.9x multiplier your damage wont be great outside of charges ... unless you use a falx blade for the head. The falx blade has no piercing damage multiplier at all, which for some reason means the game decides to let you do giant cutting damage even with the longest "pierce-only" poles.

A 283 length, 118 swing cut base damage falx polearm is so unwieldly as to be useless in my experience, but if you want to make one then you sure can.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Xerophyte posted:

The rules for smithing cutting polearms are weird. Only certain poles actually give any base swing damage, so even with that 4.9x multiplier your damage wont be great outside of charges ... unless you use a falx blade for the head. The falx blade has no piercing damage multiplier at all, which for some reason means the game decides to let you do giant cutting damage even with the longest "pierce-only" poles.

A 283 length, 118 swing cut base damage falx polearm is so unwieldly as to be useless in my experience, but if you want to make one then you sure can.

See for a falx scythe get one of the shorter tier IV shafts. The length highly changes the speed, and it is also dependent on the shaft type, not just length. Tier IV shaft with falx blade I could get a length 200 scythe with 172 two-handed swing dmg and a swing speed of 67- not the fastest around but still wieldable, Especially on horseback.

It takes a ton of parts testing to find the ”good” combinations, But the TIV long falx blade is by far the best for all-rounder ”swing at everything, everytime” blade for field battles.

I outfitted myself and all my heroes with them, Shield, short 2-harder swords for scaling walls and one stack of javelins. For giggles I pull the longer Tier V glaive for myself, But most of the time a faster, 180-200 reach falx is the way.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fleetwood Crack posted:

This mod allows you to cut through multiple enemies in one swing, and is extremely satisfying if you've got one of those cutting polearms and enjoy that dynasty warriors feel.

https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/344

I really need to play with this mod. My current playstyle is unleashing all my horse archers while I ride around murdering people with a glaive. It would be so satisfying to kill like 4 or 5 guys in one pass with my long glaive

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Smithing is the worst grind. I really should mod that. I've Skyrim'ed a thousand daggers for a whopping 40 smithing skill and not enough parts to make anything worth a poo poo.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Yeah, making a shorter polearm with the falx blade -- basically copying the rhomphaia -- is what I ended up doing as well. Just saying that if you want high cutting damage on your polearm regardless of your choice of pole, including using the longest ones, then you have to use the falx blade. You can't use a swordstaff or glaive blade even though they have a high cutting multiplier since their non-zero piercing multiplier means using them with a piercing-oriented pole results in a weapon that is still very heavily skewed to piercing damage. This is weird and opaque.

I then decided I thought the rhomphaia charge was kinda silly, installed Keehu's Slicer which enables the mild base game 2H axe cleaving mechanics for more weapons and made some bastard swords instead, but that's neither here nor there I guess.

Re: slow smithing skill gain and unlock rate, both skill gained and number parts unlocked are directly proportional to the value of the thing you make so make expensive things and not daggers to go quickly. Knowing this I ... still modded the poo poo out of it by removing the fatigue cost and quadrupling the discovery chance, because the smithing mechanics are dumb and slow even if you have the opaque and esoteric knowledge needed to approach it "correctly".

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 25, 2020

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Enigma posted:

Smithing is the worst grind. I really should mod that. I've Skyrim'ed a thousand daggers for a whopping 40 smithing skill and not enough parts to make anything worth a poo poo.

Xerophyte posted:

Re: slow smithing skill gain and unlock rate, both skill gained and number parts unlocked are directly proportional to the value of the thing you make so make expensive things and not daggers to go quickly. Knowing this I ... still modded the poo poo out of it by removing the fatigue cost and quadrupling the discovery chance, because the smithing mechanics are dumb and slow even if you have the opaque and esoteric knowledge needed to approach it "correctly".

This - even if it appears to be way higher difficulty than your skill, make the most expensive item you can because that's what gives you the most smithing XP. As a bonus, you end up with a stockpile of ridiculously valuable weapons to sell.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Valtonen posted:

160. So enough to oneshot from walking, 200-350 from gallop. The 4.9 cutting modifier on the tier 5 blade is amazing.

The inventory screen shows obe-handed damage unless two-handed is selected, leading to ”swing damage: 5”

The real downside (aside the obvious ”cant hit anyone inside the same county”) is the looong windup and release. Its literally 3-4 second swing from beginning to the end.

Oh, that explains why the cut damage was always so low!

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, making a shorter polearm with the falx blade -- basically copying the rhomphaia -- is what I ended up doing as well. Just saying that if you want high cutting damage on your polearm regardless of your choice of pole, including using the longest ones, then you have to use the falx blade. You can't use a swordstaff or glaive blade even though they have a high cutting multiplier since their non-zero piercing multiplier means using them with a piercing-oriented pole results in a weapon that is still very heavily skewed to piercing damage. This is weird and opaque.

I then decided I thought the rhomphaia charge was kinda silly, installed Keehu's Slicer which enables the mild base game 2H axe cleaving mechanics for more weapons and made some bastard swords instead, but that's neither here nor there I guess.

Explaining Smithing in a nutshell.

Also, the Kuzaits get horse archers as a level 2 basic recruit option? :gonk:

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 25, 2020

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What sort of options are valuable? I can't make throwing weapons yet for lack of recipe parts. Should I make the best weapons even if my skill is 100 levels too low?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

GruntyThrst posted:

Oh, that explains why the cut damage was always so low!

Explaining Smithing in a nutshell.

Also, the Kuzaits get horse archers as a level 2 basic recruit option? :gonk:

I mean, there’s a reason that horse archers rolled over everyone they met, historically.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Hey just as a warning, I think if you Exit to Menu shortly after or while an autosave is going, it will not only corrupt the autosave, but all adjacent saves.

It's the only explanation I can come up with why I can suddenly no longer load anything that was just recently loading just fine.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

FlocksOfMice posted:

Hey just as a warning, I think if you Exit to Menu shortly after or while an autosave is going, it will not only corrupt the autosave, but all adjacent saves.

It's the only explanation I can come up with why I can suddenly no longer load anything that was just recently loading just fine.
:rip:

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I mean, there’s a reason that horse archers rolled over everyone they met, historically.

If you can chose when and where to fight, and if you can hit at enemies while they can't reliably strike back, you basically win every fight. There is a reason the only time the Mongols really ever lost any big fights was when they had to siege a place and couldn't chose the field.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Beefeater1980 posted:

It's not that horse archers are good, it's that they get them at second level. That's like, double as fast as anyone else can get horsemen I think? Probably triple with the exception of the Aserei

FlocksOfMice posted:

If you updated to beta 1.3 I think it just straight up broke 99% of mods, if you have any of those.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

On leveling smithing making as difficult items as you can (all parts high tier, blade as bug as possible) seems to ve the key. The weight and resource cost might be modifiers too? Anyway daggercrafting is propably the least efficiebt way to try grinding it after axes.

Easiest way is to grind high-level two handed swords. Full tier IV two-hander gives out massive amounts of XP- I recruited a brand new follower with 4 END and had her craft one difficulty 242 2-hander for instant 50 smithing points. Polearms, one-handers and daggers give way less XP.

You gain new parts both from crafting and from smelting, and it is tied on to skill gain, So leveling all party members teaches a lot of parts. Most parts are garbage, falx blade is as stated the overall most useful fir glaives and for 2-hand swords.

I still have no idea how the game decides on bastard swords or which blades can be carried on civilian clothes- it doesnt seem to be tied on length But the blade type.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Beta patch is trash because it made a change that negatively affects my playstyle. Peasants now upgrade into their culture specific recruits instead of Watchmen. This means that access to the highly versatile Merc tree is restricted to rarely showing up in taverns.

"Spawn probability of mercenary troops at taverns was increased from 33% to 50%."
If nothing else, there's this for you.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

It's not that horse archers are good, it's that they get them at second level. That's like, double as fast as anyone else can get horsemen I think? Probably triple with the exception of the Aserei

Steppe people ride horses. Like the equivalent of a peasant levy in a steppe society (this is making a sweeping generalization and nothing like that actually existed but just use it as a frame of reference) would each have at least a horse and a bow. The economics of owning a horse, and hell the stratification of resources in settled society in general, were very different out on the plains. It’s why steppe people were so feared as raiders but also valued as mercenaries and even as slave soldiers across the Islamic world because their just natural livelihood depended on skills that made them very dangerous soldiers/warriors in pre-modern times and even though nomadic people had much lower population densities to pull from, they had a much larger pool of people within their societies who could contribute martially/militarily

I mean it’s fantasy land so they could do whatever but it fits for me. I mean honestly I know it’s for balance and technically the Khuzaits are semi-settled like Khazars or something, but it seems weird they even have their own native infantry.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 25, 2020

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

BlackJosh posted:

I mean it’s fantasy land so they could do whatever but it fits for me. I mean honestly I know it’s for balance and technically the Khuzaits are semi-settled like Khazars or something, but it seems weird they even have their own native infantry.

If you look in the armory in multiplayer there's some neat background to the different cultures' armies. IIRC it says that the Khuzaits draw their infantry from conquered hill tribes.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Valtonen posted:

On leveling smithing making as difficult items as you can (all parts high tier, blade as bug as possible) seems to ve the key. The weight and resource cost might be modifiers too? Anyway daggercrafting is propably the least efficiebt way to try grinding it after axes.

Easiest way is to grind high-level two handed swords. Full tier IV two-hander gives out massive amounts of XP- I recruited a brand new follower with 4 END and had her craft one difficulty 242 2-hander for instant 50 smithing points. Polearms, one-handers and daggers give way less XP.

You gain new parts both from crafting and from smelting, and it is tied on to skill gain, So leveling all party members teaches a lot of parts. Most parts are garbage, falx blade is as stated the overall most useful fir glaives and for 2-hand swords.

I still have no idea how the game decides on bastard swords or which blades can be carried on civilian clothes- it doesnt seem to be tied on length But the blade type.

Javelins would be the best assuming cost is accounted into XP gain. A T4 javelin head with the T3 shaft is worth 64k.

BlackJosh posted:

Steppe people ride horses. Like the equivalent of a peasant levy in a steppe society (this is making a sweeping generalization and nothing like that actually existed but just use it as a frame of reference) would each have at least a horse and a bow. The economics of owning a horse, and hell the stratification of resources in settled society in general, were very different out on the plains. It’s why steppe people were so feared as raiders but also valued as mercenaries and even as slave soldiers across the Islamic world because their just natural livelihood depended on skills that made them very dangerous soldiers/warriors in pre-modern times and even though nomadic people had much lower population densities to pull from, they had a much larger pool of people within their societies who could contribute martially/militarily

Oh yeah, I'm talking strictly in terms of balance. Historically it makes perfect sense.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Looks like some nice changes and bug fixes for sieges in the 1.3.0 beta:

quote:

-Missiles can now pass through between siege ladders' steps.

-A critical bug that caused AI in sieges to act unexpectedly and possibly cause crashes, if the player was aiding a side (being a separate ally team during the siege mission), was fixed.

-A critical bug that caused AI pathfinding to almost always reset its path when moving from static to dynamic navmeshes and vice versa, which caused performance issues and agents not being able to climb siege towers correctly, was fixed.

-AI that should've attacked the inner gate after breaking the outer gate with the ram in a siege tried to run into the castle over ladders because they chose the reverse side of the gate to stand and wait for reinforcing those that attacked the gate due to a bug. This was fixed.

-Removed unnecessary pathfinding calls by the AI that caused performance issues especially in sieges without impact on the decisions they were trying to make.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I definitely notice the fix for the pathfinding on the gates. They no longer go "gates down, make a break for the ladders!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

1.3 also introduced a nasty bug where the city defenders will sally out and suicide themselves on besieging armies though, so settlements are changing hands with wild abandon now. It's day 43 on my new save and the West Empire owns half the map already.

This also means your own garrison will sally out from under you and kill themselves on the spears of the enemy and you're left defending a settlement with your army alone. :v: