Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Is there any rhyme or reason to unlocking smithing parts, or is it random as to which part is unlocked? I melted about 50 throwing daggers and still don't have a blade to craft them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Completely random AFAIK. You can unlock dagger parts by crafting mauls.

I *think* the tier of the part unlocked has a % chance depending on your own skill level, But not sure.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I do like the mods that change part discovery to be based on what you're deconstructing - hopefully they'll add some sanity to the native take on this eventually. Considering how many mods they've already cribbed in patches, it's pretty likely.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

GruntyThrst posted:

1.3 also introduced a nasty bug where the city defenders will sally out and suicide themselves on besieging armies though, so settlements are changing hands with wild abandon now. It's day 43 on my new save and the West Empire owns half the map already.

This also means your own garrison will sally out from under you and kill themselves on the spears of the enemy and you're left defending a settlement with your army alone. :v:
Oh drat. lol, :rip:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

GruntyThrst posted:

1.3 also introduced a nasty bug where the city defenders will sally out and suicide themselves on besieging armies though, so settlements are changing hands with wild abandon now. It's day 43 on my new save and the West Empire owns half the map already.

This also means your own garrison will sally out from under you and kill themselves on the spears of the enemy and you're left defending a settlement with your army alone. :v:

Yeah, I just had an enemy army do this to me. I showed up with 600 and they sallied out with 200 to get killed.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

wilderthanmild posted:

Yeah, I just had an enemy army do this to me. I showed up with 600 and they sallied out with 200 to get killed.
Hell yeah, this means I can take towns with 450 defenders with my army of 250 elite troops now. :black101:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Next time it happens I'll keep an eye on the settlement's food. Maybe they are running out of food and sallying forth rather than starving to death?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Settlement food isnt properly implemented yet (or is and is meant to be like this) - the moment you start sieging settlement is at 0 food.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I do like the mods that change part discovery to be based on what you're deconstructing - hopefully they'll add some sanity to the native take on this eventually. Considering how many mods they've already cribbed in patches, it's pretty likely.

Yeah, Bannerlord Tweaks has this option, although it has 100% chance to give you all the parts used in a weapon when you smelt it so it's a bit broken.

Tweaks just allows you to modify so many things, it's great.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Valtonen posted:

Settlement food isnt properly implemented yet (or is and is meant to be like this) - the moment you start sieging settlement is at 0 food.

I've seen them at above 0 food, but it's really common to be very low or 0. Settlement economy is really broken in general. Lots of the time a conquered settlement enters a death spiral where it can't even support a tiny garrison.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I wish Taleworlds would figure out a better beta strategy. They should have one beta option that is always the latest beta. Instead, every time they push out a new beta version, you have to opt into that one, rather than them cutting a new beta option to freeze that version. I.e., when they produce 1.4, I'll have to go in and opt into it, or else be stuck on 1.3.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

That was fast, new beta patch out including this:

quote:

The bug that caused besieged settlements to sally out even though they were weaker than attackers was fixed.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

tylertfb posted:

If you can chose when and where to fight, and if you can hit at enemies while they can't reliably strike back, you basically win every fight. There is a reason the only time the Mongols really ever lost any big fights was when they had to siege a place and couldn't chose the field.

This got me reading a lot about the Mongol invasions of Europe. It's wild how many kingdoms tried the same strategy of trying to build a giant army to engage them in a big pitched battle and just got slaughtered. The Mongols also played into this perfectly by feigning a retreat for a while and then attacking the enemy while they were disorganized and chasing the "retreating" Mongol army. This early, giant defeat would usually leave towns and cities with very few defenders and leave the whole kingdom at their mercy. It took a lot of failures before they'd realize that this was essentially the worst possible strategy against them and later adopted a strategy of forcing the Mongols into siege after siege by fortifying likely targets and ensuring they were supplied enough to force an assault. This would over time sap the army of men and resources as well as slowing down their progress. Once they had been depleted, demoralized, and disorganized by costly sieges, then the defenders could engage and defeat them in open battles. This combined with military reforms in Eastern Europe, particularly emphasizing heavily armed knights and heavy cavalry, allowed later invasions of Hungary and Poland to be defeated at great cost to the Mongols. These defeats caused Mongol incursions into Europe to scale down from full on invasions to smaller raids, eventually reversing with Hungary invading and conquering territory held by the Golden Horde in the mid 1300s.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

I've seen them at above 0 food, but it's really common to be very low or 0. Settlement economy is really broken in general. Lots of the time a conquered settlement enters a death spiral where it can't even support a tiny garrison.

Yeah it's really messed up. I've been trying out a trio of mods by the same author after one of them was recommended in I think this thread that attempts to bring town food issues back down to earth.
First one makes it so garrisons don't eat or starve unless settlement is under siege: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/281
Second lets granary buildings give a large boost to food stocks so settlements can potentially have stockpile that will last for more than a second: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/951
Third reduces prosperity growth when settlements are losing food but not yet starving to prevent the prosperity-food death spirals that seem so common: https://www.nexusmods.com/mountandblade2bannerlord/mods/952

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

GruntyThrst posted:

Javelins would be the best assuming cost is accounted into XP gain. A T4 javelin head with the T3 shaft is worth 64k.

Oh yeah, I'm talking strictly in terms of balance. Historically it makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the tip on javelins, they *do* make way more XP with less materials once you unlock T4

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

wilderthanmild posted:

These defeats caused Mongol incursions into Europe to scale down from full on invasions to smaller raids, eventually reversing with Hungary invading and conquering territory held by the Golden Horde in the mid 1300s.

Really? Wow. What was the state of their respective armies at the time?
Excellent post btw.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I have no idea how they’re going to balance smithing but yeesh. It’s so convoluted and tedious that there really needs to be a good reward for doing it, but right now you can just break the spine of the economy like, 5 days into a save. I have to sell my javelins at a loss because cities don’t have enough money to pay for them!

Edit: Also, I'd love the ability to build/fortify an encampment that you could stash items and troops in, both for early game and games where you don't want to bother with settlements.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 27, 2020

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Tree Bucket posted:

Really? Wow. What was the state of their respective armies at the time?
Excellent post btw.

I can't find deeper information about it and a lot information from that time period is pretty spotty. The most specific the information I found is that Andrew Lackfi and a large Hungarian force defeated a "large mongol army" in February 1345 and followed it up with a wider invasion in 1346. I know it resulted eventually in the formation of the medieval kingdom of Moldavia. I also know that by that time the rump states of the fractured Mongol Empire were undergoing a lot of cultural change and were also fighting each other as much as they were fighting outsiders.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Smithing is so disappointing now that I'm playing a 1h + spear character. Glaive character? Holy poo poo you could make some devastating stuff. 2h character? Hell yeah there are some amazing 2h pieces. But on this character I can't make anything better than what I can easily buy. The best possible mace that can be built is debatably maybe very slightly better than the one I started with.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What's the no-stamina smithing mod to use?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Enigma posted:

What's the no-stamina smithing mod to use?

Bannerlord tweaks still works but you have to turn off the party size tweaks and the hideout tweaks or it will crash when you try to actually load a game or a start a new one. It also has some setting for smithing other than stamina that you have to turn off or the smith with crash you.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I found a neat way to get influence. Before you join an army, buy a ton of food. You share the food with "starving members of your army" and get 3-5 influence a day, on top of the being in the army influence. Not bad for a few grand in grain.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

I found a neat way to get influence. Before you join an army, buy a ton of food. You share the food with "starving members of your army" and get 3-5 influence a day, on top of the being in the army influence. Not bad for a few grand in grain.

If you're on 1.3 that's probably less useful because they adjusted army AI so that they are better at actually getting food instead of starving to death.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Bakalakadaka posted:

If you're on 1.3 that's probably less useful because they adjusted army AI so that they are better at actually getting food instead of starving to death.

I wonder if they won't stop to get more food if they have your supply to dip into, though? Until you run out, that is.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

GruntyThrst posted:

I wonder if they won't stop to get more food if they have your supply to dip into, though? Until you run out, that is.

Also works If your the Army consists of your clan only, So as long as you dont stop anywhere they cant replenish anyway.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

They do in 1.3 but not in route to something else

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

After fighting vladians for ages going into the desert to fight a massive 900vs700 battle was epic. My rig is rather old so im running 750 char max meaning the opponent rolled in in 3 ~300 waves, meaning there was a massive chaos all over the dunes as the routing first wave hit the second one, regrouped and turned around.

The desert battle map with nothing but massive rolling dunes is very good at conveying the feeling of huge expanse of emptiness. Seeing cavalry masses charge about the sand is very very atmospheric.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've screwed around with max party size mods, and got myself at 1400, so most other parties end up around 600. Unfortunately once I got into 3-way hellwar my kingdom routinely smashes 1000+ armies with enemies. Game doesn't really work great with this setup, I doubt many people have hardware to run 2000+ , and the respawns screw up the flow of the fight.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

The respawn mechanic would be much more manageable If it allowed you to organize which units to bring. Having the ”place your units before battle” perk from leadership tree functional plus control of your unit rotation on which arrive at What wave, and a choice of the spawn area would integrate the mechanic much better.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the spawn mechanic would work a lot better if it shifted to spawn new units close to the fight. With how big the maps are in Bannerlord it trivializes fights against the AI when all their reinforcements have to walk 30 seconds to participate

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I lost like... 3-4 workshops. My kingdom is only at war with one Nation that only has one city left. Is there any reason why that would happen? Can I get them back?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Has anyone found a way to finish the war in kingdom stage? I've got maybe 15% of the map and one by one got declared by all but one kingdom (except two landless ones). It looks like all you need is a border and it will cause war some time in the future.

I have around equal strength to 3 out of 4 enemies, so no chance to break them. I got tired of impasse and chopped some heads, so now I cannot get any clan to join me, even ones with good relations.

I get by only because I play on easy and routinely cheat relocate my doom army of hardened veterans.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Donkringel posted:

I lost like... 3-4 workshops. My kingdom is only at war with one Nation that only has one city left. Is there any reason why that would happen? Can I get them back?

I haven't seen any workshops straight up vanish, but you lose workshops in a city any time the city goes hostile to you, so if the city was ever captured or was part of a faction you were at war with (even for a moment) they're gone and you have to repurchase them.

alex314 posted:

Has anyone found a way to finish the war in kingdom stage? I've got maybe 15% of the map and one by one got declared by all but one kingdom (except two landless ones). It looks like all you need is a border and it will cause war some time in the future.

I have around equal strength to 3 out of 4 enemies, so no chance to break them. I got tired of impasse and chopped some heads, so now I cannot get any clan to join me, even ones with good relations.

I get by only because I play on easy and routinely cheat relocate my doom army of hardened veterans.

I claimed the entire map and didn't successfully resolve all of the war quests, so I think it's broken right now. The ability to take and hold territory as a kingdom is pretty much dependent upon how many clans you can rally to your cause, so executing lords is a really awful idea unless you're trying to depopulate the game - and the game will spawn new Lords eventually to fill the gaps.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

I dont think it spawns new nobles. Ive completely wiped out vlandia and western empire as a vassal, going out of the line to find and execute Every vlandian noble. The clans *do* roll out new parties from wives and mothers once you start harvesting them but it is completely possible to go clan by clan until a Kingdom dies.

What the game does do it has clans replenish a losing Kingdom by having fiefless clans jump kingdoms.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Valtonen posted:

I dont think it spawns new nobles. Ive completely wiped out vlandia and western empire as a vassal, going out of the line to find and execute Every vlandian noble. The clans *do* roll out new parties from wives and mothers once you start harvesting them but it is completely possible to go clan by clan until a Kingdom dies.

What the game does do it has clans replenish a losing Kingdom by having fiefless clans jump kingdoms.

Clans will absolutely jump ship to a kingdom you're at war with (which is not the same as a losing kingdom - they won't do this on their internal wars and YOUR clans can and will jump ship to whomever you're fighting even if you're maxed on relations), but if you've executed enough lords the game will spawn completely new ones after some time. I got completely new clan spawns I had never seen before alongside completely new lords/ladies who did not previously exist. Most of them were lovely, one-person clans with no pre-existing relationships.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Huh, that sucks. Was hoping to create a void raider postapocalyptia.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Valtonen posted:

Huh, that sucks. Was hoping to create a void raider postapocalyptia.

It takes a while to depopulate Calradia. I got about fifty or sixty nobles in, just executing Khuzait nobles and depopulated two out of the three Empire factions in the process (because their nobles would jump ship to the Khuzaits, whom I was at war with) before I just said gently caress it and just started hiring nobles and bribing them with influence to restore relations. If I had kept at it, I probably couple have depopulated the world - new nobles weren't coming in particularly fast, so unless the rate increases dramatically as the number of nobles gets very low, I was definitely killing them faster than they were being replaced.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Thanks for help, I'll probably stop campaign of beheadings soon, it barely gets me anywhere.
As for peace options: I can get it by paying crazy amount of money: 520k for the weakest of my enemies, around double that for the rest. Anyone has idea how it's calculated? Should I try to raid a bunch of villages while keeping as many lords in prison as possible?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

alex314 posted:

Thanks for help, I'll probably stop campaign of beheadings soon, it barely gets me anywhere.
As for peace options: I can get it by paying crazy amount of money: 520k for the weakest of my enemies, around double that for the rest. Anyone has idea how it's calculated? Should I try to raid a bunch of villages while keeping as many lords in prison as possible?

I'm not really sure. It seems to be related to strength and who you're talking to and how much they like you, as well as how well-positioned you'd be if you fought the person you were talking to. Sometimes making peace costs as little as 10k denars, other times the cost (when I was in a bad spot, severely outnumbered) was more money than I had (including the value of my entire inventory).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The one time I made peace it cost me 30k calradiabux and before I was a horses length out the front gate of the place I had negotiated peace they declared war again.