Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have such an inexplicable love for Saabs. That's a gorgeous example - there's a nice red 9000 CSE much like yours near me and I always stop to look at it when passing by on foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
http://hooniverse.com/blog/2010/04/21/2-stroke-swedish-meatball-the-saab-92h-camper/

I suspect the real reason for the motion blur in this picture is because the camera car can't go slow enough to keep up with the 92H.

28 horsepower two stroke motorhome, ahoy!

Saab is crazy. Really crazy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I moved house and in the new neighborhood there are some nicer cars. The upshot is that I got to run alongside a 9-3 Turbo X the other day. It's a good looking, but really subtle car. It makes a great noise. I heard they only sent 600 to the USA, but I don't know how many (if any) made it to Canada.

I hope they make more stealth bombers like that one and get a handle on their dealership network.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 7, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

sbaldrick posted:

There is no such thing as a cheap car in Canada. People in this country are crazy.
I dunno, I've seen some really ridiculously cheap deals here. Sure, you don't have the huge amount of sub-$1000 cars that the Americans do, but if you pay attention to the blue/black book you can find some cars that are massively undervalued by the PO.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

Can anyone confirm or deny that there is no front license plate bracket kit made specifically for the 92x. However I can use a 9-3 bracket, or any generic 2 hole bracket and be fine?

From what I've read, the front plate is supposed to be screwed directly into the front bumper.

http://www.stateofnine.com/page/stateofnine/PROD/LPBRACKET
There are some generic front license plate relocation kits that ride off your tow hook. That might be an option that won't involve screwing or bumper mutilation.

edit: link

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 31, 2010

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The turbo is likely to be dead; it should be inspected for shaft play or leaking seals (check for oil smoke at startup). If it is dead, you may be in for a pretty hefty bill to replace it or a slightly smaller one to repair the turbo, and I would imagine that even a low-pressure Saab is not very much fun to drive without boost.

If the driver's seat has a heating element, that heating element is probably damaged from having someone's rear end in it for 230k mi.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So even if you bought a Saab before they went bankrupt the first time, your powertrain/corrosion/seatbelt warranties are still gone?

This is gonna be a precedent setting lawsuit. I've never heard of a "big" car company doing this.

The worst part is that the parts channel is going to dry up. I'll never have a first-gen 9-5 Aero wagon. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Apparently they're crushing all the units that are either in the process of being built or are built-but-unsold. I'm surprised Sweden doesn't want to hold onto the first Saab ever built.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Team Dynamics makes some absolutely gorgeous wheels. Good choice.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yum. There used to be a Turbo X that parked near my old job. I spent a lot of time staring at it. :)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, why did I just go and look?

I wonder what's so wrong with the clutch that they decided to abandon it in a field next to a 900?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Rallycross car, huh?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Demolition derby car, huh?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yay, more Saab owners.

What did she have before?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
gently caress the Pick n Pull website, use the new poo poo: http://row52.com/

It has coupons! And pictures! And VINs! And smartphone apps. For some reason the data is also inconsistent between the PnP and Row52 websites, Row52 seems to update more often.

It seems to only return 3 cars for that yard under 9-5:
Sept 13: http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/YS3EF48Z9Y3077824 auto V6
Sept 12: http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/YS3EF48Z5X3039764 auto V6
Aug 21: http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/YS3EF48Z213011914 auto V6

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 17, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How could you tell if a car is actually an SPG? This one appears to have no special badging of any kind but does have a huge spoiler and an interesting paint colour.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1987-Saab-900-SPG-TURBO-Hatchback-W0QQAdIdZ520977642

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a respray job unfortunately. Then you should throw 3M film on it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So there's an early 9-3 with a "seized wastegate" for sale here for $1000.

How badly damaged do you think that engine is from having some putz driving around with uncontrolled boost? Can I swap the turbo for my spare WRX-pull TD04 and have a cheapo Saab daily driver?

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1999-Saab-9-3-2-0-Turbo-Coupe-1000-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ545150815

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Tell me more about fixing the wastegate. Is it a gummed up/failed wastegate actuator or am I to replace the entire turbo?

A T5 flange turbo should not be difficult to get, I had just assumed all Saabs used a TD04 and I could just pluck one out of the pile and drop it in.

Usually in Subaru land, turbo failures occur from shaft play or from an oil seal taking a massive poo poo. I've very rarely heard of wastegate issues other than having the actuator preload set incorrectly so I'm second-guessing this guy's diagnosis.

By DI you mean the ignition cassette right?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Or just send it to, like, a Subaru mechanic.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There's a guy here on Kijiji who is selling SID repair kit ribbon cables. It seems like a pretty niche market to be advertising for in the classifieds.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Where do you usually fill coolant on your desk?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

West SAAB Story posted:

Uhh.. Exactly how many E30/E36 websites of fans are there? I've never accidentally stumbled over one of those - not that I was looking, mind you. We'll be fine for a decade or two before it gets prohibitively expensive. :colbert:

It helps that Saabs aren't particularly good at anything, so nobody is clamouring to snap them up for autocross, drifting, rallycross, street racing, cocaine running or daily driving. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Also the seats are a lot better at whiplash protection and aren't the control arms aluminum?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah that would explain why the insurance premium for collision on one of those is so high relative to a WRX.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What did service have to say?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
All I'm seeing is:

The Saab museum must be pretty cool. Good on the seller for including such awesome stuff!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of the God-bothering, what do people in non-Christian countries yell when they break poo poo working in a Saab? The UN should get involved and gin us up a report on useful foreign phrases I can use to get bolts loose.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Who wants a job? https://jobs.github.com/positions/80448c2c-cbe9-11e4-932e-024d91bf0e4d

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Is any one familiar with the TWICE module on a 1999 9-5? There's a 9-5 for sale and the previous owner claims that that's the problem.
"I stole this car and have no keys for it."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So a buddy of mine just got a 9-3 Viggen and it's been great.

It throws a P1110 after awhile of driving, and I can hear a hooting compressor-surgey sound when you lift throttle while under boost.

Google seems to indicate dicky BPV ("diverter valve" in Saab-speak?). Should I just try connecting the boost signal line to the wastegate actuator directly and see if it does the same thing under spring pressure to rule out the BPV?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 14, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

So a buddy of mine just got a 9-3 Viggen and it's been great.

It throws a P1110 after awhile of driving, and I can hear a hooting compressor-surgey sound when you lift throttle while under boost.

Google seems to indicate dicky BPV ("diverter valve" in Saab-speak?). Should I just try connecting the boost signal line to the wastegate actuator directly and see if it does the same thing under spring pressure to rule out the BPV?

The problem here was at least that the previous owner tried a "super cool mod" by deleting the tee on the signal line to the BPV, and ended up routing it too close to other parts of the car, which rubbed through the line basically immediately. Two or three holes in the line plus some of it was melting onto the intake manifold.

The BPV might still be dicky, but, uh, this vacuum line isn't vacuuming very well anymore.

Apparently this is the mod: http://trolltuner.com/?p=219

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 15, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So a dude locally is selling a '96 900 S Turbo and sent me this email about it when I asked what it needs:

quote:

The Saab still runs and is drivable. It needs some work to take care of some problems. Here are the highlights:

Exhaust needs to be fixed up
Driver-side ball-joint needs to be replaced
Need a new park brake cable
Body has some rust
Dashboard randomly stops/starts working (grounding issue on a rheostat I think)

The ball joint and the exhaust don't seem like a big deal. The dashboard is a question mark since it could be (from my reading) cold solder joints or indeed the dimmer rheostat, though I doubt it's that since it shouldn't make the gauges stop working, just make them very dark.

Changing out the parking brake cable seems like a pain though; a quick Googling says that I'd be dropping the gas tank, and that's not something I want to do.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
God there are so many cheap Saabs out there.

How do you tell if a 9-5 wagon is one of the single-turbo V6s or not?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2001-saab-9-5-wagon-not-running/1137902855

I'm guessing I can't use a TD04 pulled from a WRX (which I have in my basement) and would have to find an appropriate T25(?) flange turbocharger.

Also, any idea on the rough running? This is a ~three hour drive away and I don't have a Tech2. Wondering if dude pulled the turbo because it was bad or if he did it to get another car on the road.

I have a red DIC from a 9000 CSE that I found in the junkyard kicking around my basement as well.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 10, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Dude took a picture that conveniently obscures the trim badge and I don't know enough about the subtleties of the 9-5 trims to tell what it might be.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I emailed the dude, so hopefully we'll get some information on this, but I'm starting to get a bad feeling about it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

any tips for finding decent tires that'll fit a saab 99's 4-bolt soccer ball wheels? I'm getting my dad's 99 ready to roll out and I pumped up the first tire and it exploded (nearly in my face).

They're not metric wheels are they?

I wrote a tool a little while ago to see what tires in a nearby range are good, maybe you can find something broadly available like a 195/60: http://nondisplayable.ca/tire-plusone/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

So after a year of sitting in my garage, disassembled, I finally was able to tackle a bunch of issues on my '00 9-5 Aero.

I even fired it up with minimal smoke! :v:

However, my new hurdle is the fact the old tie rod end (which I should replace anyways) isn't allowing me to put the nut on it. It gets about half way on and starts spinning. Any suggestions?
Make sure both the threads are really, really clean. In the winter, I would suggest taking the nut inside with you and warming it so it expands, but it's summer so I dunno.

You can probably park the head of the bolt by holding it still with a screwdriver on the end of the shaft as you put the castle nut on. I don't suggest cutting a slit for a flathead, since a cotter-pinned bolt is delicate enough as it is.

All you really need is to add a little more friction to the bolt and the nut should spin right on. In situations like this I've also had success "scaring" the nut on with an impact but it's probably not a super idea with a cotter-pinned bolt in a tie rod end.

On endlinks with that design there is sometimes a hex cut-out in the end of the bolt that you can use to park the bolt while you spin the nut on.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 8, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's crazy how many sub-$1000 Saabs there are now. If it weren't for the fact that a lot of the aftermarket upgrade/repair parts are so pricey I'd probably have built one after helping my buddy fix his Viggen.

Saw another Viggen in the scrap yard a few weeks ago. Made me sad but the Yard Jawas had already stripped it to the bones so its guts will live on in sleepers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Haha, you dentist-car-driving dicks are doomed. I finally figured out a way to get ahold of a Saab that wouldn't make my friends and family abandon me.

I finally registered, insured and drove home my new-to-me 2005 Saab 9-2X Linear. The only complaint I have about it so far is that the VIN is entered as an Aero, which means that someone at the docks probably hosed up filling out the form when it was first imported.

It has some bilingual stickers as well, which might just have been removed by the PO on the ancient Subarus I previously gooned around in.

All the records got included; the original owner sure got boned when she bought this thing.

Next stop, 9000 CSE

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ionn posted:

Isn't that the case for just about any new car? Though SAABs might excel at it.
Somehow they spent new-WRX money for a 2.5i.

ionn posted:

Also, I guess we'll see you in a mid-80's 900 Turbo soon enough.

quote:

Nobody could save me from Saab. Wherever I looked, I would find sub-$500 GM-Swedish abominations pulling at my purse strings. Help us, the cars said, we’re weird.

Driving down the street, I would spot a minty 9-5 wagon up on blocks with its turbocharger blown or interior ripped. Some part of me would wonder if maybe I did have what it could take to rescue it, make a plea deal with the owner before the tow truck came to pick it up for its date with the crusher. The old suburbanite impulses would resurface after a short time, tell me that I didn’t have enough storage or enough free time to save this one, and wasn’t I already hip deep in bullshit projects with hard-to-get parts already?

I fled to the mountains. There, I felt, people were more normal. They would have old pickup trucks, domestic economy cars, nothing weird and Swedish. It just wouldn’t happen. As I climbed further and further away from urban society, I felt the influence of Trollhattan upon my mental state wane. Plus, the roads were pretty good up there. Lots of corners.

They said that decades ago, a group of old rally fans had barricaded themselves up here, unwilling to believe that Group B had ended. My daily-driver Subaru was just old enough to convince them that I was part of their clique, and so when I finally put together the clues that afternoon, the rally fans allowed me through the gate, barking their ceremonial “OI OI OI OI” at my approach.

I stepped out of the car, confident now that perhaps I had finally found my people with which to wait out the last of the Saabs.

There was no way I would ever pay five hundred dollars for a Saab, I said even as my wallet was opened and two thousand dollars was removed for the rusty shell of a barely-running 1978 Saab 99 Turbo.

After all, there was no way to find parts for an older car whose manufacturer had died, I explained as they lowered the front-cut of a 96, replete with furious two-stroke three, into the capacious hatch “for later.”

I’d have to hang out with a bunch of weird people, I had trouble saying through my helmet to my panicking codriver as I took the Swedish shitbox fully sideways across their back-forty rallycross course.

Then it was all just sort of a blur.

Help me, I plead to the customers of the Greyhound station as they tried to avert their eyes from my homeless visage, I’m weird.